Who has the best chassis?PROS and CONS

Hi,
As we all know there are many Gt40 kits around. And many are similar, but all of them are not exactly the same.
Just to name a few: Southern GT, Tornado (3 types of chassis), GT Racing, RCR, CAV, etc.
The basics of the car is the chassis, and quality can be based on many things.
- Build quality, as for tolerances (symmetry, etc.)
- materials used
- treatments to material
- rigidity
- weight
- Safety aspects
- flexibility in engine and trans choices
- Drivability (not only related to chassis, but it's where it starts)
- price
- etc.
I wish to hear the opinions on all these points from as much ppl as possible. Especcially from builders that have had several experiences of different brands.

In the end of the line the choice that is made is a choice of each individual and for personal reasons, because (I guess) there are no BAD ones around anymore.
Cheers to everybody!

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Hi Ramon,

This is effectively like asking someone, "What's the best color?" Your question will have different answers for anyone who asks it depending on what the goals for their car are.

All the manufacturers you list have been around for a while- and some much longer than others. They probably wouldn't be if their products didn't make the grade, so there should be decent comfort in dealing with them. If you're thinking of building one, set your goals, figure out your budget, and research which suppliers fit within those parameters.

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for but the question is very subjective.

Hi Ramon,

This is effectively like asking someone, "What's the best color?" Your question will have different answers for anyone who asks it depending on what the goals for their car are.

All the manufacturers you list have been around for a while- and some much longer than others. They probably wouldn't be if their products didn't make the grade, so there should be decent comfort in dealing with them. If you're thinking of building one, set your goals, figure out your budget, and research which suppliers fit within those parameters.

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for but the question is very subjective.
Hi Chris,
Yes it's not, but it's as well what I expected. Maybe it's more about personal opinions. Looking forward to hear those. Because it's always interesting to hear different thoughts, you may have never thought about.
Cheers

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Hi Ramon,
There are many manufacturers, and those that have been around for a while generally supply a quality product. However, as Chris says, your question is wide open and you are best to decide on a goal (e.g. originality) and a budget, and then go from there.

A number of makers offer monocoques, each with varying degrees of originality. Space-frame cars are also offered by a variety of manufacturers and are generally cheaper and arguably easier to build.

What goal/budget you set yourself will narrow down the likely choices considerably and will allow builders who have followed a similar route to answer your questions.

Pat

Supporter
To Brian's point, it seems to me that simply asking the "best chassis" question without the fundamental "what do you plan to do with it" is almost without answer. I wanted a car that's more street friendly, stiff, "comfortable" interior space, mid-priced etc., so I'm more than happy with my CAV MONO. If I'm wanting more authenticity, less comfort, I'd look to Superformance. If I dripped cash, I'd go Gelscoe or Holman Moody. If I wanted to track the thing, I'd go with a space frame with an integral roll bar and chassis I could fix (if I kissed a wall with the thing) like Bailey. Southern GT, Tornado (3 types of chassis), GT Racing, RCR also have their advantages in terms of cost, ease of build, dealer support etc. The answer really depends on you.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Ramon,

One basic question first > do you fit into the car.......

There are differences between the manufacturers - this topic with numbers was discussed on the forum several times.

Back