World Aluminum 460 Windsor

Here is our first all-aluminum 460 Limited Edition Man OWar. It made 60HP more than the 427 Aluminum Hardcore version. It also weighs 399Lbs.
IMG_0007.jpg

dyno_sheet.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Chaz, I think I need to put one of those in my 70 Mach 1 with my EFI setup. I'm due for a new engine. My current one has been rebuilt twice. Do you make a short deck aluminum stroker crate motor that will work for the GT40?

Leonard

Leonard,
Yes, we will when the 8.2 blocks arrive in 8 to 10 weeks, I'm told. Displacements will be 302, 349, and 371.
Neal,
Thank you. It's not for a weak drivetrain anyway...:)

Chas,
When do you expect to have cyl heads that utilise the extra bolt pattern up & running for these blocks and will these have features like splayed valve/pushrod centerlines etc that these large cube motors will probably require in order to flow enough air.
If so will they retain the Windsor outside appearance.
Here is another thought ( In fact you guys have probably tossed this one around already ),
how about an FE style head to fit on a W block, but with FE ex /int port phasing and cam with lobes to match. I seem to remember a guy called Paul Bedioun ( sp?) and a company called Pro Stock back in the 70's had an intake manifold adaptor that allowed the fitment of any 351c Intake to an FE. If the heads were to be designed in a manner that this 'adapter, was part of the head it would make for a cam/head swap conversion along with a valley plate.
Only a bit of market research would tell you if there would be a demand, but it does seem that more than a few are trying to make their 427W look like an FE with the FE rocker covers.

Jac Mac

Chas,
When do you expect to have cyl heads that utilise the extra bolt pattern up & running for these blocks and will these have features like splayed valve/pushrod centerlines etc that these large cube motors will probably require in order to flow enough air.
If so will they retain the Windsor outside appearance.
Here is another thought ( In fact you guys have probably tossed this one around already ),
how about an FE style head to fit on a W block, but with FE ex /int port phasing and cam with lobes to match. I seem to remember a guy called Paul Bedioun ( sp?) and a company called Pro Stock back in the 70's had an intake manifold adaptor that allowed the fitment of any 351c Intake to an FE. If the heads were to be designed in a manner that this 'adapter, was part of the head it would make for a cam/head swap conversion along with a valley plate.
Only a bit of market research would tell you if there would be a demand, but it does seem that more than a few are trying to make their 427W look like an FE with the FE rocker covers.

Jac Mac
Jac Mac, try these valve covers.
http://performanceunlimited.com/cobravalley_drivetrain/sbvalvecovers.html

Leonard

Jac,
Why can't you ask simple questions like "do they come in orange or blue?":D
We have test prototypes here for engineering inspection and we expect the 10 Degree design to come in the door in 8 weeks or so. No to the splayed valve feature. These are designed with raised intake and exhaust ports, and since no manifold exists for them, the sheet-metal style intake is the only way at this time. They may be sold with "no valve job" as this is truly a builders head for big boost or spray. In fact they will be excellent material for talented porters.
The ports are very similar to our LS7X head which flow 386CFM at 28", no pipe, at .750-.800, out of the box. That is not by accident. We have not yet flowed these prototypes however. They look unlike any other Windsor head, what with the 6 O'clock stud. The intake port roof and floor provide access for the 12 O'clock stud. They do however look smashing bolted to our block. Pardon the crappy snap:
IMG_6435.jpg

I understand the concerns of the GT, vintage and Cobra owners who would probably prefer a "disguiseable" Windsor head, but our 18 Degree (published and tested on our aluminum 427 in prior posts here) is excellent producing 13Hp over our previous CNC "Windsor SR." offering. It looks "correct" also.
I agree with your point that many are trying to create "FE-sors". However Bill and our CAD guy deemed that the LS technology is the current wave and it would benefit the SBF camp. We certainly have a popular pair of LS offerings which are very advanced so I'm sure they're on the right track.
I own an FE and Bill throws me out of the office every time I mention it...:cussing:

Chas,
Ha Ha, I already knew they would not come in 'Chebby Orange'!!! Blue sounds good though.
But then I wouldnt put it past Bill to give em a lick of orange out of habit.

Jac Mac

Chas,
Do you have any dyno numbers for the 427 and 460 in the lower rpm range such as 2000 rpm? My Mustang is a daily driver with a toploader and soon to be TKO600 and I spend a lot of time at semi-legal speeds.

Leonard

Leonard,
All our street engines test from 3500 to aprox 6500RPM. The Drag Race engines from 4500 to 7000+. So, I'm sorry we don't have those figures.
However, the aluminum 427 made 495 lb-ft and this 460 558 Lb-ft, both at 3500. Assuming you cruise at 2000 or 2500 in top gear, I'd pure guess you're no worse than 350 or 400 Lb-ft at those engine speeds. Some engines don't make that torque in the whole RPM band.
You will not want for in-gear passing power. :)

Mike Pass

Supporter
Chas, That is a very tasty bit of kit. Any idea yet on prices (and delivery to UK). Is it possible for the motors to have internal balance?
Cheers
Mike

Mike,
I thought that expression only applied to crumpets but we're happy you feel that way.
All our engines and shorts are internal balance.
The US price for this very 460 is $14,695. The iron block version is $12,195.
However:
Our UK distributor can give you best (and accurate) UK cost. Here they are:
Real Steel
Unit 9 Tomo Ind. Estate
Packet Boat Lane
Cowley, Uxbridge, Middlesex UBB 2JB
011-44-1895440505

Back