ZF Transaxle

MWGT40

Supporter
I am looking for a ZF Transaxle to purchase. Please let me know if you are aware of any for sale, particularly in the UK.

Martin

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Martin, I bought an unused BMW M1 transaxle from MAP in St Petersburg, Florida. It cost 7500USD and has to be changed around a bit to fit an RHD car. Why I mention this- the currency exchange rate is so favorable nowadays that it might be worth your while to get one. It does use the 7 bolt bellhousing and it has a different clutch spline than the earlier type 0 or type 1 units. But the type 2 was the original fitment on the Mark V cars, some of which had huge motors, so it is pretty robust. You might also try RBT transmissions (they are pretty much the main source for ZF transaxles over here) and just get a rebuilt one and have it sent over- pounds are worth a lot more than dollars these days, lucky you...

Yes Gentelman, MAP has the BMW M l box. The last time I checked he only had 3 left. The price is now 8,500 US Dollars. RTB will sell you a set up gear box for your 40, for about 7,000 US Dollars. This is a totally reconditioned box. Also Pantera Performance in Castle Rock, Colorado will sell you a ZF for the same dollars. Dennis Quailla has an excellent reputation.

Jim, I changed a BMW M1 Gearbox round left to right hand change, if you have not already done that conversion may be worth a call, Frank

Also RBT will sell you there box with a selection of gear ratios and final drive ratios. This is in contrast with the ratios you might find in a M1 or Pantera.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Martin,
Before you spend some serious cash, talk to Lloyd Butfoy at RBT. He built a new GT40 configured ZF-2 for me recently. I got my choice from quite a selection of ratios, BMW output/CV joints, right hand fit up and a new heavyweight bellhousing for about $9000 including shipping to the UK.
He is a very busy guy but is most helpfull and did my order in 4 weeks.

Attachments

• 28171-Mvc-014f.jpg
    28171-Mvc-014f.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 592

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Wayne,
I regret I can't help you presently with exact test criteria as I'm waiting for my test certificates from RBT.
However, I purchased this transmission based upon sound advice from this forum. Please check out our Gary Gibbs' spreadsheet from last year and the pertenant threads on ZF and they will give you an idea of my expectations. 600HP is no problem with these boxes.
My car is currently built to a road specification but from the outset I decided that everything especially the trasmission and power unit would easily upgradeable to racing specification with a few retrofit parts. After all MDA make racing cars.
Maybe like you, I have found that information on ZFs is rather scarce and concluded that after several months searching, for my money this forum offers the best available advice - and long may it continue.
I will contact you as soon as the certificate reaches me.

Attachments

• 28210-Mvc-010f.jpg
    28210-Mvc-010f.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 598
James, thanks for the reply. I'm putting a big block in my GT and I've learned from experience its cheaper to do it right the first time. My car will have a bit more torque than a small block so I'm concerned. To date I've heard a lot of conflicting specs about transaxels. I have an original 4 speed transaxel but I like the idea of a 5 or 6 speed. Also I think the originals were weak when it came to the lube system, Wayne

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Wayne, an alternative to the ZF is the Porsche turbo boxes G50/50 or G50/52. I am using a big block and opted for the porsche box. After speaking with numerous people, the concensus was that the porsche box was stronger. The other major factor for me was that RBT owned all the rights and the parts for the ZF. Although there are others who can supply you with the trans, in the event you break it, there is only one place to get new parts or those hard to find parts. I personally like to have more than one choice and know plenty of shops who can service the Porsche trans as well as supply parts. Good luck with your search. I have a question though. If you already own an original four speed, I am assuming it is a T44, why do you need another trans? If you are not going to use the T44 is it for sale? Thanks Gregg

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Greg,
Spot on advice about the cost of repairing the Porsche G50s, but do I suspect that because of your interest in Wayne's T44 that you would prefer your transmission to be more historically and aesthetically correct ?.
This was also a factor in my choice of the ZF - I know, "it's a kit car" and those guys out there fitting all sorts of power units truly amaze me with their versatilty but as in all things, it's down to choice and in the end usually my spare time.
I am also sure that in the unlikely event of my ZF breaking down, guaranteed spares and services are easily procured direct from RBT at reasonable cost, even though I am in the UK and nearly two bucks for an English pound won't last forever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif and since RBT will probably last longer than my ZF I shall also be able to avoid those web middle men offering supposedly rare parts as "there ain't no such thing as a free dinner".

Wayne,
You really know that the ZF or even that T44 will sell your machine quicker in the unlikely event that you get fed up with it.
Have you tried Lee Holman regarding your transmission set up for the big block ? - Nice People at Holman Moody.
Wishing you the very best of luck with your car.

PS - a big block did appeal to me but my vehicle licence plates read V8 SBF - Middle aged or what ! but I could not resist the numbers.

MWGT40

Supporter
James et al,

Thanks for the replies. I have just moved house so have been offline for a while.

James, in respect of the $9,000 you quoted, did that include duty and VAT?

Martin

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Guys, just a word on ZFs. Don't ignore the info available from the Pantera crowd. While some of it is dated, if you look hard enough there is a LOT of info to be had about these transaxles.

Regards,
Lynn

James, as I posted somewhere else on this site I will use a 6 spd ZF. A friend thinks he can get me one at somewhat less than list. The T44 I have is old technology, only 4 speed, and valuable compared to a ZF. Someone who needs one for an original car should have it. Besides, I bought the adapter already for the ZF. The T44 would be for sale, but expensive. Email me if someone is interested. This site is a great place for info, thanks Wayne

Also, in regards to Lee Holman, I have met, and don't like. I met Ralph Moody also last year and he and his wife are first class people.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Some idea of how we feel about these cars you can get from the statement "valuable compared to a ZF"...by the time my ZF is done I will have a little more than $9500 in it. T44s, when they are available, which ain't often, go for 30-40K from what I hear. I applaud your wanting to save it for a vintage car. Plus, a 5 or 6 speed box will make your car more fun to drive. Of course, the big blocks have so much torque that your transaxle is there mostly to provide a choice of axle ratios... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back