Can I fit into a GT40?

G

Is there anyone in the Washington DC metro area (DC, MD, VA) that has a GT40 replica that I could sit in? I am interested in building one (I like the SABRE kit) but John Donnelly (The owner of the company) does not think I can fit into a Mk 1. (I'm 6ft 4in tall and a very big guy
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
!!) I would like to see if I can fit into a MK1 if that is ok with the owner.

Thanks guys!

Hey TPSY,
Dan Gurney, the famous driver, I believe is
6'4" and thats why they put the bubble in the top of the door. If your 6'4" 325lbs. no way! but if you're 6'4" 250 I think you would fit but it would be tight. This may be a bit uncomfortable on longer trips. Remember this car is only 40" high and the seat ergonomics is a little laid back to say the least.
Good luck I hope you find one to try on. These are fun cars.

Hersh
smile.gif

G

I'M 6'4" AND I AM GOING TO FIT IN THIS CAR IF I HAVE TO HAVE BOTH FEET REMOVED AND DRIVE WITH STUMPS
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

JAY
UNITED WE STAND

SABRE WITH 351 STROKED CLEVELAND

Some time ago a company called Dax made Mk 1 GT 40 in the UK the added 1.5 inches to the body along the bottom of the door area. Thus making a GT 41.5 then if a roof bubble was added you got a GT 43.5 in addition to this you could increase the ride hight and lower the floor by upto an inch. The main problem that you would have is the peddles, you need to move them forward and floor mount them as on the original car, the KVA C type or ERA Chassis would be the best bet.
There are complete Dax cars for sale in the UK but I understand that Dax sold all the tooling to some one in India about 10 years ago.

G

Wow! Are we all 6'4"?? What is it with tall guys and GT40's? I tried sitting in a GTD but was unable to change gears, so count that out unless you are prepared to do modifications. Robert Logan (RF) was very accommodating when I visited his factory and suggested the floor of the chassis could be lowered 1/2" if absolutely necessary and the pedal box moved forward. That, with the Gurney bubble, would give plenty of room. I seem to remember reading that Dan Gurney was 6'5". I know they had to squash the aluminum foam sandwich in the floor of J6 flat to give him more headroom. ERA say thay can accomodate tall drivers easily. My semi-monocoque will have the pedal box located a little further forward than on the original cars and I will have a Gurney bubble, but like the previous post, I will fit in even if I have to have surgery.

Cheers, Brian.

According to Bob Lacey of CAV, the semi-monocoque
they will release next year is designed for
taller drivers. Also, I know that GTD could
lower the floor pan as well. However, since
you can no longer buy the GTD kit new in the
US (that's CAV's territory), that option
is out.

Ian

G

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! That is how I feel about getting a GT40!! If I can squeeze into a Chrysler Prowler, I WILL squeeze into a GT40, even if I have to use a shoehorn to get out of the darn thing
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
!! I wish there was someone in my area with one though. Hey Jay, how do you like your Sabre? Was it easy to complete?

G

I have a RF GT40 and I can tell you that it has a much larger foot area than the other GT40's I looked at. I am 5'11" and when sitting in my seat I cannot touch the end of the foot well. There is 9 1/2 inches from my feet to the end of the foot well. With the dropped floor option and a Gurney bubble you should be able to fit.

Ron Earp

Admin
This is the only time I can say I enjoy being short. I'm 5'8" and have room to spare in the RF car. Even if you are larger, the RF car seems to have the best interior design for space.

Ron

I have to agree with Rob, it's a beautiful thing to be 5'8"! Ahhhh, now this is a car I can stretch out relax in.

Ron you think you have problems at 5'8"I'm only 5'4" I have trouble reaching the pedals in my Tornado! the only consolation is that it's the only car I have owned that I can wash the roof without using a step ladder. I used to own a Marcos with ajustable pedal box, worked on a screw pinion on the dash Ah! happy days
Ian

Well, at 5'8, 205lbs, and pretty broad
shoulders (I used to lift a lot), I can
safely say that the wide seats in the 40
look promising. Then again, I fit into my
old '72 240Z without hassle, and my 6'5
roomate did too. But, there was room for
him to move the seat back
wink.gif

Ian

G

I would call the different gt40 makers and make sure you try the different cars to see how you fit. I was told the new cav will have the room for taller drivers. Call Mr Lacey at 858-3423246 and ask him if the new car would be suitable for you.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
The problem with tall people is that they get to see the footy while all of us littleies have to rely on comentry of the glimpses got from hopping !!!

Here speaketh a 5' 9" builder of GT40's

On a much more serious note at Roaring Forties we have lowered floors extended the pedals and put in Gurney bubbles and with all that we have managed to fit with comfort a customer here in Australia who is just over 6'4" and about 230 lbs. The floor was lowered by an inch and we also raised the dash to give more room at the knees and the steering wheel. Alittle here and a little there and even those with an unfair advantage at the footy can be helped. NO surgery required !!!!

Best wishes to all,

Robert Logan

Well Robert, I always felt that the best
view of a footy is from the field!

That's why I have been playing soccer for
22 yrs and rugby for 13.
grin.gif

Keep up the great work, and keep us informed
on a semi-monocoque if it happens.

Ian

BTW, you might want to look into the
Lonestar LS40. It's slightly larger than
original. But, it looks a little wrong to
my eyes, the lines just aren't quite
right.

Cobra Country has a link to their site.

Ian

G

I have seen that car and it is not a little wrong. It is a lot wrong! (If looking like a GT40 is important to you) They now are offered on a VW pan with VW engine or the go fast option is the Mazda rotary. Rear mounted not mid mounted.

You said it Bob. That car IS alot wrong. It's just a shame people will waste perfectly good fiberglass like that. That could have been a nice little boat or a few sets of nice ground effects.

I was referring to the now defunct V8
GT40 they did. I guess the Cobra Country
site still points to the old LS40, not
the new rotary powered one -- which I will
agree is quite awful.

The original V8 LS40 was not nearly as bad,
but still not great. However, it is wider,
higher, and longer, so I would venture to
guess that larger drivers could fit.

Ian

Back