GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > GT40 Replica Manufacturers' Corner > Superformance GT40s

Superformance GT40s Sponsored by Superformance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th August 2011, 11:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
William Quantrel
Rookie
United States

GT40: Imaginary
Re: Superformance Wide Body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsts2k View Post
My Avons are very sticky and do pick up every rock on the road. That said, a little foam glued to the underside of the wheel wells stop the rocks from causing damage.

Kevin
What kind of mileage do you get out of a set - street driving?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 15th August 2011, 12:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
fsts2k
Gold Supporter
United States

GT40: Superformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Quantrel View Post
What kind of mileage do you get out of a set - street driving?
Personally, no idea; I have 2K on them now. I think I have heard others get more than 15K out of them.

My guess is that on the track with my limited driving ability the heat cycles will kill them long before I run out of tread.

Kevin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 15th August 2011, 01:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
CCX427
Rookie
United States

GT40: Gulf CAV137

I'd be happy to email you some pics of the CAV hips. PM me your email address and I'll get them off to you.

I have used Goodyear Billboards, Hoosier TD's, Avons and currently old treadeded blue streaks. They all pick up and through stuff. The Avons were by far my favorite as the ride was as true and smooth as my M3. If you have the option and the $, especially on an SPF, go with the Avons!
Old 15th August 2011, 02:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
jd3
Rookie
United States

GT40: SPF Mk.1

My wide body SPF is 76" wide across rear flares, and I run Avons on 15" x 13" rears for the track and Michelins on 17" x 13" for street. The Avons really do pick up and throw a lot of rocks, comparatively speaking.

I examined #1075 at Daytona back in 1990(?), and it had the widest rear flares Wyer ran at LeMans(1969 style). It was 80" across rear flares as I recall.

My SPF 76" wide rear bodywork appears to be the same as Wyer ran at LeMans in 1968.

I really like the wide body look on the SPF GT40, and I've never had a problem having it trailered, etc. (I love big flares, but the 80" wide variety was too wide for my taste when I saw 1075 in person).

Jack
Old 15th August 2011, 10:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
William Quantrel
Rookie
United States

GT40: Imaginary

How are the Avons in the rain? I have heard they are not nearly as good as street tires.

What do you set the tire pressure at?

What does a set of Avons cost?
Old 15th August 2011, 10:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Mark IV
Sponsoring Vendor
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Quantrel View Post
How are the Avons in the rain? I have heard they are not nearly as good as street tires.

What do you set the tire pressure at?

What does a set of Avons cost?
Not really bad in the rain, but not as good as real rain tires. Pressures vary by application, 18 pounds to 26 or so.

See Sasco Sports for actual prices but figure $1400 for a set.
Old 24th August 2011, 02:02 AM   #27 (permalink)
NSXER
A Tenth
United States

GT40: MKI & MKII

I too love the wider rear. I have three sets of wheels...the 15x14" and 15x10"for running full race Avon tires. The second set is the stock set running Avon DOT tires and then the last is a stock set with a 2" offset so I can run the Avon DOT yet still fill out the rear flares.
Even with the stock rears (15x12) and standard offset it does not look too bad with the wider rear flares.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT40 10-10-10 8.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	54723   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT40 10-10-10 1.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	54724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-223.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	54725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-220.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	54726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-203.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	54727  

Name:	Untitled-24.jpg
Views:	1932
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	54728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-248.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	54729   Click image for larger version

Name:	5039149577_dd2ded74bd_b.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	54730  
Old 24th August 2011, 06:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
GTRene
9 Tenths
Netherlands

GT40: Hartge Z3 5.0

nice stance, it just fits

Old 24th August 2011, 07:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
Tom
Cobrajet
2 Tenths
United States

GT40: RCR Mk1

Brian,
Looks great! What size DOT Avons are you using. I've been eye'n a set for mine.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:06 AM   #30 (permalink)
NSXER
A Tenth
United States

GT40: MKI & MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
Brian,
Looks great! What size DOT Avons are you using. I've been eye'n a set for mine.
295's on the rear, 215's on the front.

Brian
Old 25th August 2011, 01:06 AM   #31 (permalink)
MHNCO
Lifetime GT40 Fan
United States

GT40: SPF 2161

Slightly off topic but when you guys say Avons throw rocks, how do they compare with modern sports car tires like the GY Eagle F1s found on the Ford GT?
Old 26th August 2011, 10:14 AM   #32 (permalink)
Tom
Cobrajet
2 Tenths
United States

GT40: RCR Mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXER View Post
295's on the rear, 215's on the front.

Brian
FIA Rally - CR6ZZ - DOT
215/60R15 99V and 295/50R15 108V.

Perfect!
Old 21st December 2011, 11:59 AM   #33 (permalink)
dougal
United Kingdom

Hi

The Avon CR6ZZ has a great range of tall wide 15" tyres with a road race compound and carcase. i think this page shows all the dimentional data for these tyres, because different sizes suit different rim and body types www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/Avon_CR6ZZ_Radial_Classic_Tyres
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cr6zz_2_l.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	56891  
Old 21st December 2011, 06:48 PM   #34 (permalink)
P2164
Gold Supporter
United States

GT40: SPF 2164 07-07

I've got close to 9000 miles on my avons, they are over 3 years old and getting hard, I've done 3 open road races and many dollar rides and they still have plenty of tread but can tell the difference from new till now in traction grip. I run mine at 24 psi when racing and 28 on the street.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20th January 2012, 02:19 PM   #35 (permalink)
soulcoaxer
Gold Supporter
United States

GT40: SPF MKI p2285

I am quite certain that Superformance has molds for three separate tail clips. The standard size is most typical and is included in the base price. There are two wider versions. The subject becomes unnecessarily confusing because of the names they assigned to them. There is no name for the standard, the slightly wider version is called narrow body, which most would assume is the standard - but no - it's the smaller of the two wide bodies available. The third body clip, or more specifically, the second wide-body is called extra wide-body. This information is provided with a high certainty of accuracy since it originated from the mouth of the president of the company and conveyed to me directly. The occasion and purpose of that conversation was due to the fact that I just purchased a GT40 with extra wide-body. I am concerned about the wheel, tire sizes, and limited tire choices available in the 15" size. However, there are several individuals gathering viable options, and I feel confident of a satisfactory resolution. For those who may wonder, I was driven to wide-body for these reasons only: mean, nasty, menacing, and bad as# appearance. I was less concerned with the other possible down sides mentioned on this forum, and had heard most of them from others.

All good things, Robert
Old 20th January 2012, 02:45 PM   #36 (permalink)
soulcoaxer
Gold Supporter
United States

Follow-Up Wide Body?

Follow-up

An official at Superformance confirmed that Mr. Jack Dunn's wide body shown here: www.gt40spf.com is an extra wide body clip.

I love Jack's ride and it was an inspiration that helped me overcome the natural tendency I harbored to not write that check for one of my very own. Way to go Jack!

Rob
Old 20th January 2012, 04:07 PM   #37 (permalink)
Mark IV
Sponsoring Vendor
United States

Re: Follow-Up Wide Body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcoaxer View Post
Follow-up

An official at Superformance confirmed that Mr. Jack Dunn's wide body shown here: www.gt40spf.com is an extra wide body clip.

I love Jack's ride and it was an inspiration that helped me overcome the natural tendency I harbored to not write that check for one of my very own. Way to go Jack!

Rob
The standard Superformance rear MK I clip is the "wide" (i.e. 1967 style) with the option of the later "Gulf" (wider) style clip. The second option is the early 1965 type "narrow" clip with the stacked taillamps.

Some photos make it hard to determine if the rear is the standard or "wide" type. The standard rear uses 10.5" width wheels, the "wide" uses the 12-14" type of wheel.

The quickest way to tell is how flaired the sill covers are. The standard sills flare out about 1.5", the "wide" is over 3"
Old 20th January 2012, 05:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
soulcoaxer
Gold Supporter
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRene View Post
nice stance, it just fits

Sweet ride! I assume those are 15" diameter wheels, or? Are the rear tires 335, or larger? And, are the rear wheels 12 or 14" wide? Thanks, Robert
Old 23rd January 2012, 12:19 AM   #39 (permalink)
Mike Drew
Bronze Supporter
United States

GT40: None, yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcoaxer View Post
I am quite certain that Superformance has molds for three separate tail clips. The standard size is most typical and is included in the base price. There are two wider versions. The subject becomes unnecessarily confusing because of the names they assigned to them. There is no name for the standard, the slightly wider version is called narrow body, which most would assume is the standard - but no - it's the smaller of the two wide bodies available...
The standard body is the medium-width of the three available. The wide one is wider, and the narrow one is, you guessed it, narrower.

It features the stacked small taillights and a narrowed stance, as seen on the 1965-66 GT40s. Here's a photo of one of the few SPF narrow-body cars around, P/2231:

'72 De Tomaso Pantera, '66 Contemporary 427 Cobra, '66 Shelby GT-350 clone, and gearing up for a Superformance Mk 1....
Old 26th January 2012, 07:44 AM   #40 (permalink)
soulcoaxer
Gold Supporter
United States

Mike, I was never too much of a fan of green body paint, but this shade captured my imagination. It looks great on your MKI. The white exhaust treatment is the first I've ever viewed and it does coordinate nicely with the roundels and side stripes. I remain confused on the taillight issue. I thought only the MKII featured the double lights. The wide and extra wide SPF rides I've seen have larger single lights. How would you judge the functionality of the two traditional side mirrors? I have ordered a MKI, but it will not be ready 'til summer, and I am contemplating the more modern larger body colored side mirrors that are affixed along the door. I entertain that idea primarily for enhanced safety, not for style or design. I realize that mod breaks with tradition, so I'm in limbo for now, but have plenty of time to consider. Please share your thoughts. Thanks for sharing . . . Robert