you can't hit 20 mpg. And, a good transaxle
could help too.

Check out ERA's FAQ:
http://www.erareplicas.com/gt/faqs.htm

Of course, if ERA doesn't want this
publicized ...

Ian

G

Well, I turn my back and don't log on for 4 days while I'm away trying to get some tickets for the Tyson/Lennox Lewis fight and suddenly all hell has broken loose! I've decided to let the tickets go, those guys are just a pair of pussys in comparison to you lot, plus I get a free ring side seat.

Ron, I think you are going to need more computer power for this, I will soon be posting "manual or sequential gearbox?" and "15 or 17 inch wheels?" to keep this thread going until we all meet in eternity.
In the mean time, I'm loving it.

While this thread is straying from the GM / Ford discussion, how about considering the Ryan Falconer built V12, specs at http://www.falconerengines.com/products.htm

hr_v12_3.jpg

I'll take two. Of course they will have to be but welded together end to end, then cut into three equal sections to make enough V8s to power three GT40s. With some 289 valve covers adapted onto the heads, only the experts will know that they're not "real" GT40 notors.
grin.gif

G

If that Falconer runs as good as it looks, it should break the sound bearier! Sure is gorgeous! The water pump looks very Ford-ish.

Ok let me chime in again, this time for real. I really loath hot rod fords with non ford engines, just slightly more than a non original type engine. Old ford rods had flat heads, they should be used. I am old school like that. But exotic builds, if tastefully done can be nice. Now having used a strong emotional word like that, I need to quantify my meaning.

When I "see" a car, I am the veiwer. Thus I judge a car and its owner as such. I take points of for that stuff, cause its cliche. That is most people do it. Would I talk down to, or treat the owner with disrespect because of it, no I would not.

Another item to say is I do not drive that car, nor did I build it. Everything is done for a reason, I do not know that reason. Would I do it differently, yes i would.

Now having said that, I was never a real fan of the "W" block of ford engines. Thats why I chose the MK2 kit. Its gotta be a FE for me. If you need to know why, cause I can, and I want 900hp, or a little less in mine.

If I had to pick between a 350 chevy and a W block, id go with a 351. I think keeping the sizes even makes a better comparison. Both engines have thier merits and are versatile. Now if you want to go with a turbo diesel, that would be cool.

So Martin, I think the Ford will suit you better. But thats my opinion. As for people claiming a loss in resale value. That point seems silly to me. I dont think you have embarked on this mission just to sell it at a later date. So resale vales in this case is a null point. Bottom line, wether I like it or not, its your car, and you have to drive it.

If you want to know why, check the sig

[ March 23, 2002: Message edited by: GT40 MKII ]

MWGT40

Supporter
To everybody who answered my post on this controversial subject back in March, thank you.

As you would have seen from the multitude of responses above, most favoured sticking to the Ford engine. This is what I decided to go with in the end, although a lot of this was in part due to all the other changes (e.g. chassis pick up points) that would have to be made if I went the Chevy route.

So I kept my standard GT40 302 block and had it fully rebuilt replacing the standard heads with Edelbrock Victor Junior heads, upgraded all the pistons and conrods, put in a steel crank, a hydraulic roller cam, and also switched the sump to a Canton sump. Compression was increased to 10.9.

We put it on the dyno on Friday at Knight Racing Services and with my existing 600 cfm Holley carb, achieved a maximum power output of 340 BHP. When I switched the carb to a 750 cfm Holley double pumper, peak power of 360 BHP was achieved at 5,600 RPM and peak torque of 340 Ft/Lb at 5,400 RPM at the fly wheel.

The torque curve was very flat and it was very well behaved throughout. I can't wait to get it back into the car and test it on the track!

Next year I think I will swap the Holley for either a Motec or Kinsler fuel injection setup with the Webber style throttle bodies. But I have spent enough for now!!

Martin

Hi Guys, As Martin and many others have said
above, The only engine that should be there is a Ford. But... If anyone would like an Ex Penske Ilmore Pontiac/Chevy unit ready to install with 660 hp with MSD race ignition, Holley 850cfm, Dry sump, All the ancillaries
Ultralite flywheel, triple plate clutch, very complete engine with large ally heads, Special intake mainfold, all stamped up and garanteed to exite! I can send pics and spec sheet. Oh there is also a V8 Ford Cosworth ex F1 engine, any interest?

All the best

Mark

G

I gotta a spare Ford engine under the bench. It's even the right vintage being 1968. Would I put it in my 40? No way. Its a 1600 cc FF engine meant to be in a Lotus! You also get Cobra replicas here with small Fords in them. Uugh!

I think the most accurate comment was that hardly anyone uses the same manufacture gearbox so we are all up the creek there!

Malcolm

PS Dave, thanks for the pointer to this little bun fight. Top stuff on entertainment.

G

Well you can get a ZF 5DS25-x from Lloyd Butfoy at RBT and guess who makes the Porsche G50...ZF. You can get a big block transaxle from Lee Holman for ~$30K just like the MkII had. As for blocks, Ford has some 4 bolt mains and Dart is making a new 4 bolt main SBF that Rousch is buying (and was involved with the design of.) There is even an outfit making 32v heads for the SBF (not sure how long the cam and valve train will last but they are there.) You want to go all the way...you can go there with Ford.

Nobody seems to have responded with a European perspective on this 'darned' Ford vs GM thingamabob that you all seem to get so excited about!... so here's my opinion fwiw...

You must remember that we are all tied up a bit in sensitive environmental issues here, and the petrochem lobbies just don't have a fraction of the power that exists in the US...

Plus... Fuel is DRAMATICALLY more expensive in Europe that The US, especially in the UK...

So as a consequence... most markets in Europe think that anything over 150cid is a big engine! (although there has been a bit of hike in engine sizes in Sports Utilities in the last couple of years)

So.... The Ford vs GM debate is really a Niche (with a very big N) issue in the rodding community, and doesn't really get air time...

European preference is for small volume, REALLY high revving units...

The battle is between engine builders and not manufacturers, so people really look at Chassis, and not the power unit... and most attention is focused on the Ferrari-Porsche (and similar) wars

However, as a point of interest... recent interest in the UK has been heavily focused upon ultra light weight vehicles with bike engines, or two bike engines....

awesome to listen too... paddle change, and 15,000+ revs..... and sooooo fast...

A UK company called Tiger have just built a twin Huyabusa[sic] engine Lotus 7 rep with a sub 3 sec 0-60 and sub 8 sec 0-100... it is so quick it is unbelieveable... I think from memory that all up, it weighs in at about 800lbs...

So in summary... displacement loses out to economy and emissions, and light weight replaces lack of bhp...

Colin Chapman would be very proud of us!

(But I bet he liked the GT40 too)

Neil

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Neil Strenge ]

MWGT40

Supporter
Julian

I wanted to play safe and I am going to increase output to between 400 and 450 BHP next year when I convert to EFI so just planning ahead

Regards, Martin

Back