About to Order - Lessons Learned?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Jeff,

I was in your position 8 months ago. My car, #2307, goes into production in a couple weeks and I ordered it back in May. Trust me, time is about to slow down waiting for it to arrive. Your question was, Lessons Learned? And for what its worth, here's my two cents.

I ordered my Mk1 with the following options from Hillbank;
Indigo Blue with Gulf Stripe (the other Gulf color)
RHD
Gurney bubble
Leather option
Rear spoiler
4 roundels
Lemans front fog lights

The engine choice was the tough part. started with a Roush 427IR. Switched to a KeithCraft 347 with Eight Stack. Switched back to a 438 from KeithCraft with the Eight Stack fuel injection. My reasons were I have a 514 from them in my Cobra and 25,000 miles later it is still in great shape. I also wanted a few changes that Roush did not want to do. I went with the Dart Iron eagle block, Dry Sump oil system, lightweight rotating assembly, AFR 205 heads, Comp Elite solid rollers and Jesel shaft rockers, and the Eight Stack EFI system.

For the install, I am going with Olthoff. I visited two installers locally that do great work and I thought I would enjoy following the build. I also visited Olthoff and spent the day with Dennis and Paul. I really liked what I saw and the experience and knowledge of the cars is second to none. Olthoff is going to do the install along with some of the upgrades incuding; brake ducts for cooling, street roll bar, front canards, insulated bulk head spacer behind the seat, internal door latches and the little round window vents for added air flow.

From my experience, do your research and go with what you want. My car will not be a daily driver, so I wanted more of a track car that I can go out and feel somewhat safe in, compared to the Cobra, and just have fun with some of my car buddies and hit some of the car events.

Enjoy,

Mike Murphy
SPF Cobra #1349
SPF Mk1 GT40 #23007

Saw your car at Olthoff's last weekend and it looks good!

Rick,

Not mine! Talked to Dennis this week and I am still waiting for it to leave the factory. SA is only about 3-4 months behind from what I was told the delivery would be. Do you remember the feeling as a kid on Christmas Eve, that is what it is like once you pull the trigger and order one of these cars! I guess all good things require patience.

Mike

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick,

Not mine! Talked to Dennis this week and I am still waiting for it to leave the factory. SA is only about 3-4 months behind from what I was told the delivery would be. Do you remember the feeling as a kid on Christmas Eve, that is what it is like once you pull the trigger and order one of these cars! I guess all good things require patience.

Mike

Well it WAS the same color combo and it looked good! I just assumed that based on the colors it was yours.

Yes, the waiting is the hardest part! The car I collected at Dennis' was 90 days off the original timetable.

Back