About to Order - Lessons Learned?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jeffery,

Just in case you wondered, P/2264 has the standard SPF center stick with cables, after 35,000+ miles, it works great, no problems what so ever.

Another thing to keep in mind, and I know that this is not a reason to buy these cars, but 40 years down the road, just as with all cars, the more original, the less changes from stock, will be worth the most.

I can see it now, the Barrett Jackson guys.....................this is a 2008 SPF GT40, with the original body, original sway bar mounts, original shifter, original fuel tanks...........

Be sure and save your plastic firewall window, frame and all the rest of the stuff, including carpet......

All those formerly split window Corvettes are now being converted back.......

I have 10k and no problems at all, I find it as easy as any other shifter. But that being said a cable shifter needs to be felt when shifting not rammed or jammed.

I still vote for the gurney bubble, and with Dennis's cover that goes behind the seat your helmet fits perfect in the bubble area. For a couple years I complained about my arms and neck getting sore on long trips, on one of my stop offs to see Dennis he had one of these covers that goes over the top of the bulkhead cover behind the seats. Solved every problem with my neck and helmet. Here are a couple pictures of the cover and one picture of what I was doing before the cover, look behind the drivers seat.

Attachments

• gt40 cover 001.JPG
    gt40 cover 001.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 288
  • gt40 cover 002.JPG
    gt40 cover 002.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 286
  • BBORR 2009.jpg
    BBORR 2009.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 336

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I bought one from Dennis when he did the initial install on my car. I never put it on and have it stashed away. If anyone is looking for one let me know. I will make you a good deal on it.

I bought one from Dennis when he did the initial install on my car. I never put it on and have it stashed away. If anyone is looking for one let me know. I will make you a good deal on it.

I'm interested, PM sent.

Last edited:
A lot of talk about the shifter, my cable shifter is not bad. My vote on RHD was more to the point that the driver sits near the middle of the car anyway so it is not like the view is much different. While I love my car and will not sell it, the RHD would make it that much more authentic. Again.. personal preference.

I do like the idea of a wide body red car.. will look great. I don't have center stripes and really like the look but I do like the sill stripes, I think it adds just a bit of detail.

Good luck with the Rousch 427SR; it looks like a nice motor but I don't have any experience with them.

Other small comments:
1) washing the car is not like washing other cars, water gets places you don't expect. I usually end up washing it in components (e.g. rear clam first) while taking on and off body parts. It is more trouble but I do find that I have an opportunity to nut most of the suspension. With the amount of vibration and nature of the car, I find some pieces can come loose over time so a little car helps keep it together.
2) As said before, use Avon tires, much better but be careful in damp and <70 degrees. If not warmed up enough they will spin, sideways at 80+ is an eyeopener
3) The car is shockingly predictable and stable once you are comfortable with it. I have found myself easily sliding it by design using the throttle; drives like my old 125cc shifter kart
4) Registration can take some time depending on the state you are in, be prepared and keep receipts for the chassis (MSO), trans, and engine
5) I like having the carpet Dennis sells for the sill covers, keeps them from scratching and is a nice arm rest
6) It is an attention getter if you like it or not. The amount of cell phone pictures I get and head turns is pretty intense. My desire was only to enjoy it myself, not make a scene everywhere I go but it does have that effect
7) You might consider asking the factory to paint the chassis a different color like Steve did on his. No other reason than to be different, I think his Blue looks great and is unique.. totally up to you

Kevin

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
7) You might consider asking the factory to paint the chassis a different color like Steve did on his. No other reason than to be different, I think his Blue looks great and is unique.. totally up to you

The non-production prototypes and early "P" series cars had dark blue chassis and Steve replicated this with his 1016 style car. SPF will do other colors as an option so purple or green is do-able if it flips your switch....

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack,
I just noticed your somewhat different 3 stripe pattern. Is that painted on or vinyl?

They are painted on, this car was Dennis's car he ordered it to look like his MKII but he sold it to me as I could not stand to wait what ever time it was going to take to get one its painted just like his MKII. Of course the numbers are vinyl.

Order process one step closer. A few minor revisions to the order sheet and contract. Superformance has been great to work with so far. Deposit will go in as soon as documents are countersigned.

I've heard a bit about Steve's painted chassis. Does anyone have links to photos? Dark blue chassis on a Red car....that sounds like it could work :)

- Jeffrey

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Order process one step closer. A few minor revisions to the order sheet and contract. Superformance has been great to work with so far. Deposit will go in as soon as documents are countersigned.

I've heard a bit about Steve's painted chassis. Does anyone have links to photos? Dark blue chassis on a Red car....that sounds like it could work :)

- Jeffrey

I can post pictures of a dark blue chassis I had later today.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
More blue chassis pictures.....I really like the look and the gloss is easy to keep.

I would love to order another one for somebody....

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 240
  • P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 244
  • P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 249
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 250
  • P1010012.JPG
    P1010012.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 242
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 245
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 240

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Nice pics. Did they at least prepare and prime the surface this time? I'd powder coat vs paint.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Powdercoating sheet metal is difficult......the tub would warp in the oven at the temp required to set and flow the plastic powder. Baked paint is done at a lower temperature than powdercoating is so the mass manufacturers can "bake" paint. The SPF blue chassis seems to be quite durable.

I think the FAV blue chassis color is outstanding.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Powdercoating sheet metal is difficult......the tub would warp in the oven at the temp required to set and flow the plastic powder. Baked paint is done at a lower temperature than powdercoating is so the mass manufacturers can "bake" paint. The SPF blue chassis seems to be quite durable.

I think the FAV blue chassis color is outstanding.

I know all of our chassis are painted black, its really trick to paint one a different color and I agree its awesome looking.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Be sure to get a can of matching chassis paint with the car. With our massively chipped black ones you don't have as much of a color matching problem.

Agree with Alan. Problem with the blue paint is touching up when you scratch it or get a chip.

Not very easy to do it properly on the blue.

With the black color a simple can from Eastwood would make the deal.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
If you have Dennis set-up your car, I'd recommend his engine builder also provide the engine. He is excellent. Dennis is also a dealer for Eight Stack EFI, and he knows that system inside and out. I've got that on my car and it looks and drives great. I believe that Dennis has developed his own ECU in the last six months for that system as well.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Agree with Alan. Problem with the blue paint is touching up when you scratch it or get a chip.

Although it did occur to me later that there are a couple removable pieces that you could take to a paint shop for matching, so all would not be lost if you didn't have the original paint.

Back