About to Order - Lessons Learned?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Although it did occur to me later that there are a couple removable pieces that you could take to a paint shop for matching, so all would not be lost if you didn't have the original paint.

The paint code for the SPF supplied blue is available so no matching issues. If you select a different color it will be to the code you specisfy so again, no problem.

Thanks again for all the great input. Deposit paid. The waiting begins. Lots of research to do. Had been thinking Roush 427SR, but now I think I need something matching the character of the car a bit more. The 8 stack on the Roush 427IR has my full attention. Will need to scrape up a few more $$$ :).

- Jeffrey

Thanks again for all the great input. Deposit paid. The waiting begins. Lots of research to do. Had been thinking Roush 427SR, but now I think I need something matching the character of the car a bit more. The 8 stack on the Roush 427IR has my full attention. Will need to scrape up a few more $$$ :).

- Jeffrey

Do yourself a favor. Explore ALL your engine options before going Roush. They are not the end all be all of engine builders.

Alan - No clear promises on when it will be delivered. I've learned a bit about the scheduling process in South Africa and it is quite complex. They seem to get a handle on orders for the year, then bring in the appropriate number of workers to get it done. Apparently there are some labor laws that influence how workers are brought and how scheduling can be done.

Rich - Agree, Roush is not the end all be all of engine builders. I don't think any one engine builder is. I am well aware of various Roush horror stories. And, also aware of the many satisfied owners - count me among them with my recently sold Roush 427R powered SPF Cobra. My experience is Roush does carry cache in the resale market. Not saying others don't, but Roush does. For me, Roush is also local. That helps a lot. I am leaning towards RM for the install and they have a strong relationship with Roush. In the end, when something does go wrong (not using the word "if"), it will be of value to have the dealer, installer, and engine builder all within 20 minutes. For me there is also value in going with an engine builder that has a package specifically engineered for the Superformance GT40. I will not be the first trying to shove a 427IR into a GT40. When something goes wrong, it will be nice not to have to ship the car or engine across a couple of states.

Of course, always open to hear input on engines and engine builders! That is why I posted.

- Jeffrey

Jeff,

I was in your position 8 months ago. My car, #2307, goes into production in a couple weeks and I ordered it back in May. Trust me, time is about to slow down waiting for it to arrive. Your question was, Lessons Learned? And for what its worth, here's my two cents.

I ordered my Mk1 with the following options from Hillbank;
Indigo Blue with Gulf Stripe (the other Gulf color)
RHD
Gurney bubble
Leather option
Rear spoiler
4 roundels
Lemans front fog lights

The engine choice was the tough part. started with a Roush 427IR. Switched to a KeithCraft 347 with Eight Stack. Switched back to a 438 from KeithCraft with the Eight Stack fuel injection. My reasons were I have a 514 from them in my Cobra and 25,000 miles later it is still in great shape. I also wanted a few changes that Roush did not want to do. I went with the Dart Iron eagle block, Dry Sump oil system, lightweight rotating assembly, AFR 205 heads, Comp Elite solid rollers and Jesel shaft rockers, and the Eight Stack EFI system.

For the install, I am going with Olthoff. I visited two installers locally that do great work and I thought I would enjoy following the build. I also visited Olthoff and spent the day with Dennis and Paul. I really liked what I saw and the experience and knowledge of the cars is second to none. Olthoff is going to do the install along with some of the upgrades incuding; brake ducts for cooling, street roll bar, front canards, insulated bulk head spacer behind the seat, internal door latches and the little round window vents for added air flow.

From my experience, do your research and go with what you want. My car will not be a daily driver, so I wanted more of a track car that I can go out and feel somewhat safe in, compared to the Cobra, and just have fun with some of my car buddies and hit some of the car events.

Enjoy,

Mike Murphy
SPF Cobra #1349
SPF Mk1 GT40 #23007

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Mike - are you also going to have Dennis install an electronic speedometer? I found it to be much more accurate than the one supplied by Superformance.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I don't know what Dennis uses but I installed the Speedhut GPS speedo and like it a lot. Its accurate and requires just a power source to install. Each gauge is built custom to your specifications. You can choose dial color, needle color, and number font style. The stock speedo in mine was horrible. Needle jerked and bounced around so much it was unusable.

2012042302.jpg

Steve

Supporter
Pardon the thread hijack but what is everyone's experience with the quality of the paint work from SPF? Are there any issues that have to be addressed or things to avoid?

Also, where does "Sunset Red" come from as an option? I don't remember a GT40 with that color.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Body paint is not bad. The front and rear clips on mine are pretty good. The cabin has a little orange peel but is not horrible. Chassis paint is not very good. I've repainted several sections of mine after doing a little prep and primer work.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Pardon the thread hijack but what is everyone's experience with the quality of the paint work from SPF? Are there any issues that have to be addressed or things to avoid?

Also, where does "Sunset Red" come from as an option? I don't remember a GT40 with that color.

FAV GT40s could be ordered in any automotive color so the only "correct" GT40 colors are on the cars that FAV painted. Superformance offers a range of colors shared with the "Cobra" line but again will paint any color as an option. We had a car done in SAAB Lightening Blue for example that is outstanding. The factory body paint is very good and on par with most luxury cars for quality. Not perect mind you, but better than many "high dollar" paint jobs I have seen.

Dave,

I believe that was one of the suggestions he had. Not sure if he uses Speedhut but I will look into it.

Do they offer one in the same color scheme as the rest of the guages?

Mike

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Dennis installed a Smiths electric speedo in my car. So it's consistent with the other gauges that SPF installed. If you wanted something different, I'm sure Dennis would install it.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Do they [Speedhut] offer one in the same color scheme as the rest of the guages?

Yes. The key thing for a GT40 is to specify the font: "GT", white letters on a black background, black bezel. There are some other options (backlight color, etc.) so you just need to make sure everything matches the existing Smiths gauges.

Back when I worked with them to get the right font they then put together a "kit" of gauges specifically configured for the GT40, but I don't see that anymore, and all the pictures they show are black on white. I think the kit is GL4-GPSKIT-GT40-01 but you then have to configure it for color, etc. It's conceivable that if you said "GT40 Smiths" they would know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
What Alan said. Mine has the GT font but I chose a yellow face just because I like the way it looks.

I know all of our chassis are painted black, its really trick to paint one a different color and I agree its awesome looking.

The blue chassis color when compared with the black paint while sitting in the drivers seat, is striking. I'm still getting use to my reflection on the 'shiny' dark blue paint used on the area above the windshield interior. The black paint is of course flat black. So it isn't just the blue, but it is a glossy finish. No problems with scratches.

The rod shifter. Bot my cars are 427FEs LHD. The cable was difficult at times (P2124). The rod shifter is a positive gated shift. Both work. However when going through the gears, it is night and day shifting. I know Dennis took some measurements when P2125 was last at his place.
I hope to go down this week and pick it up. Needed new master cylinder. I wish you all could drive the car. Really smooth to shift and drive the 427 (482ci).

Back