CAV #180 Factory Roller

I'm not too worried, I'll show some pictures of my new project when the CAV is in a container for a month and a half.

Sam, I don't think the FE will work for me. After running a modern computer controlled engine in the SLC, I'm going with the Coyote engine. Just easier.

I'm not too worried, I'll show some pictures of my new project when the CAV is in a container for a month and a half.

Sam, I don't think the FE will work for me. After running a modern computer controlled engine in the SLC, I'm going with the Coyote engine. Just easier.

Join the Coyote (well, Aluminator actually) club! More power, better economy, drive-ability, etc.

Are you planning on modifying it?

Gary, this came in last week. They have cleaned and polished it.

sssammy-albums-cav-180-build-picture1293-cav-180-chassis-cleaned-up-after-welding.jpg

Darrin, thanks, but the CAV chassis concept is based on the SBF block. I will be sticking with the configuration that the car is designed around. I'm not looking to do any customization. One can choose transaxle, and induction method. I am using an RBT/ZF -2 trans and Holley carb. Simple and robust, as they were back when. Someday when I get bored I may upgrade to 8 Stack FI, but I just don't see the immediate business case.

For the record, after a couple discussions with Dennis Olthoff, here is the clutch list:

Bell housing: Kennnedy (KEP) 157 tooth GT40 style
Block plate: custom Olthoff part or Quicktime RM-6016
Flywheel, aluminum 157 tooth: McLeod 563100-S
Pilot bearing: BMW M1 shaft to SBF, custom Olthoff part
Clutch disc 10.5" 10 spline x 1-9/64": McLeod 272180R - special order from Summit
Pressure Plate 10.5" diaphram style: McLeod 360048-5
Mechanical Pantera style TOB: McLeod 16525

Final assembly in the US will be at Olthoff's. Johann says he is booked up at the time my roller arrives. This is more than fine with me :D

Sam

Sam,

Thank you for posting the details about your clutch. I tried on three occasions to get Centerforce to help me with my clutch. They just didn't want to figure it out since I have an unusual spline in my transmission (1" 23 spline). I am now going to try McLeod.

-Bob Woods

Sam,

Thank you for posting the details about your clutch. I tried on three occasions to get Centerforce to help me with my clutch. They just didn't want to figure it out since I have an unusual spline in my transmission (1" 23 spline). I am now going to try McLeod.

-Bob Woods

You're welcome, Bob. McLeod stocks a variety of hubs that they can custom assemble into their discs. They can ship direct, or you can save $$ by ordering through Summit. However, I would suggest that you post a question on your build thread so the Tornado guys will be sure to see it. Someone else has surely solved this. I would buy the flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate that are designed as a system. Or be careful about the bolt pattern. You will also need the UN1 to SBF bell housing, and a pilot bushing or bearing with the i.d. of the UN1 pilot shaft.

Sam

Sam,

Lee at McLeod got right on it, found all my part numbers and was very experienced for these types of applications. He was familiar with Tornado and other GT40s. I'll order from Summit.

-Bob

Sure, John ... here's what has been going on. The car is expected at the port in late May. Dennis Olthoff will pick it up when Johann gets it out of the container and take it back to Mt. Ulla, NC for assembly of the drive train.

I have the list of clutch parts, Tilton Super Starter, and Powermaster alternator loaded to my wish list at Summit. Will order those early May and drop ship to Olthoff Racing. Discussion with Dennis about appropriate pulleys is ongoing. No decision yet on wing mirrors, maybe Vitaloni or Talbot.

The transaxle has been ordered from RBT and is due to ship from HP Gear in Austin, TX around May 1 to Olthoff.

The engine has been ordered from Keith Craft as follows:

KC SBF Street/Performance Crate 347 ci is basic package for reference

Customer requires:

Dart block, goal is 500 HP +/- 10 HP (this is negotiable)
Bore 4.125, Stroke 3.250 (347 ci)
Steel Crank, zero balance
Ford Short Shaft Waterpump p/n: M-8501-E351S
AVIAID Daytona Cobra Oil Pan p/n: 155-55362
Dip stick on right hand side
MSD Narrow Distributor p/n: MSD 8579
Heads AFR 185
Intake Manifold/Carb/Cam/Valve/Rotating Assy specs are up to KC
Carb needs electric choke, vacuum secondaries
Fuel Log with -6 AN male connection
Assume fuel pump is chassis mount electric via -6 AN line, blank off mechanical fuel pump port
KC Black Valve Covers and Air Cleaner
Runs on 93 octane pump gas
Drop ship to Olthoff Racing when complete.

Cheers,
Sam

Don't know about you Sam, but I'm excited for you! Sounds like its going to be a blast to drive. Did you mention the color you decided on with stripes?

I'm trying to remain calm, Jimmy:rolleyes: Present task keeping me fully occupied is to get the Cobra prettied up so I can offer it for sale this week at the Texas Cobra Club Rally in San Marcos. I am just about there ...

Once done with that, I can dwell on the GT. I have specified that CAV use the early Shelby Team colors, Guardsman Blue and Wimbledon White, as embodied on the GT/104 prototype:

http://www.autoweek.com/galleryimag...OR/710009997/PH/0/10/1964-Ford-GT40-Front.jpg

My car will be a street version without all the war paint, however! Still gonna be a thrill for me ...

Sam

Sam,

How about an update? It is getting close isn't it? Did you sell the Cobra?

-Bob Woods

Hi Bob,
Yes, the Cobra sold immediately. I didn't even advertise it. I put a sign in the window and let it sit in the Embassy Suites lot during the Annual Texas Cobra Club Rally. One of our club members fell in love and followed it home ;)

The engine is complete .. 302 Dart stroked to 347 with 4v carb makes 492 hp/462 tq. The RBT/ZF transaxle is also complete. Both items and various accessories are now at Olthoff Racing waiting for the chassis.

Johann has promised a fresh status report shortly. We should be about done in my estimation. Interestingly, there seems to be a lot going on at CAV. They have closed the order book for 2014 and are now taking orders for 2015 deliveries. They say the factory is running at full capacity. I'm not sure what that is. Also, for CAV fans, Auto Futura has gone as a business name and they have now titled the company as CAV. More info can be found under the 'news' tab on the factory web site: cav.co.za

More later ...

Sam

So today's schedule from Cape Town has the ship date sliding to the right about 6 weeks. They cite some subcontractor deliveries and material shortages as the reason. My chassis is now due to complete July 4, then spend a month enroute. So maybe I get it in Aug/Sep, barring further delays. Chassis #181 is also affected, if someone is looking for that one.

I may have to rent a GT40 to drive in the meantime, anyone? :D

Sam

Johann informs me today that the body is in paint and that there will be some photos soon. Meanwhile, the chassis is undergoing final assembly as shown below. You can see #181 behind, not quite as far along. Notice the A/C condenser coil is in the front on these later cars.

Sam

Attachments

• 180_chassis_lf.jpg
    180_chassis_lf.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 495
  • 180_chassis_rf.jpg
    180_chassis_rf.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 504
  • 180_cockpit.jpg
    180_cockpit.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 502
Back