CAV #180 Factory Roller

Sam, completion of the car on July 4th has to be a great omen! A couple of noted items on your car. One, she looks fantastic.

Two, in the high above car shot I see no dzus fasteners? Usually they stick out like lights on a dark colored car like yours. Are they not on the car at the time the photo was taken (I would think they would be) or painted to match the color of the car?

Was it an option to have the black border painted on the plastic bits? I did mine myself and it really made the cars color POP! Also makes the car look more refined and "finished." They've either been painted or they are using a darker (black?) sealer. Mine was a gray colored foam like material.

Regardless, it looks good.

Thanks, Jimmy. I am guessing the fasteners were not installed at the time Jordi ran out in the shop and shot the photos. If they aren't on when I get it, I have a roll of blue 200 mph tape here :rolleyes:

The only extra cost options on this car are the stripes and the car cover. Otherwise, it is bone stock. It is supposed to be configured for the 347 SBF motor and the RBT trans. They include silver ceramic coated headers also, instead of the unfinished stainless ones. So you can figure the edge treatment on the plexi is a running improvement they have incorporated. I wonder what they do now for a white car?

Sam

Here ya go, Jimmy. Also a closeup of the edge treatment on the headlight covers. Not sure if it is tape or paint.

Sam

Attachments

• WP_20140708_001.jpg
    WP_20140708_001.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 460
Almost ... it actually got into a container and went to the port. Then the winter storm hit Cape Town and our ship was held up. The factory recalled the container and took the opportunity to incorporate an upgrade to the new billet rear uprights. #180 will be the first CAV GT with these.

This car originally spent an uncommon length of time in the body shop. As a result the body is as close to perfect as they could get it. So they are holding the car a few days now in order to perform a 3D laser scan. This data will be used to create tooling for new Mk I body molds for future CAV builds.

I expect shipment within a week or so. Johann is planning a business trip in September, so we are working on a schedule that will have the car arriving in Norfolk around 20 Sep. Then it's off to Olthoff for the motor and trans.

Sam

Attachments

• WP_20140707_001.jpg
    WP_20140707_001.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 448
  • WP_20140707_003.jpg
    WP_20140707_003.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
Sam, WOW those are beautiful and you say yours will be the first to have them? Lucky You!

BTW, your front car shot does show the black border but it doesn't look like tape to me but does look like paint and if it is that's a very nice detail from the factory.

Are your front ait ducts not going to be open? Any CAV I've seen they are open except the top one which is strictly ornamental.

Jimmy, I'm told that #180 is the first to have these billet uprights. Since they appear to be drop in replacements for the cast version, I imagine they will eventually be available as a retrofit kit. Johann says #180 has collected enough production upgrades to consider it a benchmark serial number, like #100 is. I have asked for a comprehensive list.

What you see is what I get on the NACA ducts. I am aware some owners have plumbed these into the cabin. Honestly, I expect to run the A/C much of the time in TX. But I may do something later.

Sam

I was just taking a peek at the CAV (SA) web site and it appears Sam your car will be fitted with most of the new upgrades. The question I had about the black borders on the plastic pieces has been answered also as this is another upgrade. Nice to see CAV making improvements under their new leadership.

Out of Africa ... :)

Finally CAV #180 is feet dry in CONUS, out of the tin can! Presently resting in Raleigh NC from its long, jointed transit. Ahhh, the stories it could tell: Cape Town, Las Palmas, Rotterdam, Bremerhaven, London, Le Havre, New York, Norfolk ...

Dennis Olthoff will gather it up Monday and haul it to Charlotte NC to be completed in his shop. We will have a detailed call next week after he has unpacked all the bits. Maybe a month away? There are a couple cars he needs to finish next week.

Sam

Attachments

• CAV180_103014.jpg
    CAV180_103014.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 463

Pat

Supporter
That's a terrific looking car and I'm sure you'll be delighted with it. One favor. Could you take some pictures of the engine bay etc. before the engine goes in? It will be great to see the start point for the installation.

That's a terrific looking car and I'm sure you'll be delighted with it. One favor. Could you take some pictures of the engine bay etc. before the engine goes in? It will be great to see the start point for the installation.

I'll have to see if Dennis or someone there will do that, Pat. I'd like that also, but I'm not going to be on site till it is almost complete.

Sam

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Sam:

I live here in Charlotte, and I'll have to get up and see your car while it's in Dennis' shop. You've made a good choice using Dennis, and we all look forward to seeing your progress.

Dave

Back