Daytona coupe project

Ron Earp

Admin
6 originals were made and there were differences in them as well as I have read...

Where are they all?

I know one of them is at the Ford Miller Motorsports Park Museum. I doubt it'd be easy to convince them to loan it out for body copying.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Turn on the volume

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=8vsgDz2cSzk[/ame]
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=MK_IhFsqgAU[/ame]

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Where are they all?

I know one of them is at the Ford Miller Motorsports Park Museum. I doubt it'd be easy to convince them to loan it out for body copying.

Good question and the same thoughts that I had....

You want to splash my exceedingly rare and almost priceless car to make replicas???? :stunned:

The Brock Daytona coupe's shallow off set wheel was due mostly to the design of the larger rotors used and the longer upper and lower control arms at the rear which were designed to pivot off the rear center with only a 9 inch span across the diff to the mounting points. This was done to allow the rear tire contact patch to stay more parallel to the road surface in the turns. All this was designed by Bob Negstad who did the 427 roadster and GT40 suspension when he worked for Ford in the 60's, then with Brock & Hi-tech Auto (Superformance) on the current model in the late 90's, just before he died. They now have a Daytona Mk II where the hubs were redesigned and the new wheels are more off-set to look more like the original six back in the day. The Factory Five coupe like mentioned above had issues with the rear 1/4's and wheel openings. Also the headlamp openings are way too large and give it a weird "hound dog" droopy eye forward appearance. Just look at the large gap around the headlamps inside the opening compared to the Brock and original coupes where the lamp fits snug into the opening. Brock put a lot of time on the Superformance car getting the slope of the roof correct to resemble the first coupe built. Look closer and see that the highest point of the roof is right over the drivers head on the original and the Superformance cars. The later "original" five cars all have a more flatter roof like the 250 GTO's or later 240 Z look.

Last edited:
Yes! The Mk II coupe is currently available. Back in 2007 Brock loaned his personal car to Road & Track to road test it. They set an all time new record since they started doing data on car in 1956, for the skid pad G force rating, and the solumn course run through the cones. His car was at the time equipped with a 427 small block strocker (351 Ford) with a 6 speed TKO 600 Tremec gear box, and the standard BTR hydra-track diff with 3:43 ratio. The cars drive and ride very nice, like a new Aston Martin or Jaguar Coupe but with less weight and more power. There are 24 settings on the shocks so you can dial in what you want. The seats were designed for long distance comfort. I was told after 23 designs they settled on the finished product. They are called "8" hour seats. Compared to the "2" hour seat that they make for the 427 Cobra roadster model. On a long trip you can get out after 4-5 hours of driving and actually walk normal. The chassis has parallel tubes upper and lower on each side and are triangulated resulting in only "one " degree of twist with 10,000 lbs force (same spec's as the new Corvette). It' a nice car to drive on the street or track.

Wonder if I could sneak in there with my laser scanner?

You wouldn't actually have to touch the car to make a copy.

Good question and the same thoughts that I had....

You want to splash my exceedingly rare and almost priceless car to make replicas???? :stunned:

I'm pretty sure this is a copy of a copy with the issues mentioned above taken into consideration. I was just thinking it would make fun tack car when I running with cobra's and vintage mustangs. It's very difficult for most people to say what looks "original" and what doesn't since these cars are so elusive.

Where are they all?
Doesn't Sam Walton's son own and drive one? I seem to remember he crashed it at a vintage event not too long ago. Have to appreciate a guy willing to drive a car of that value instead of just leaving it in a museum somewhere.

Oh and Dean, it's about time you got involved in another build of some sort. :thumbsup:

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Ron,
it seems that they are sold as Shelby Daytona Coupe.

Superformance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shelby Daytona Coupe - CSX9000 Series

Superformance Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe in Chicago

The*Shelby Daytona Coupe or CSX9000 Series, originally known as the "SPF*Brock Coupe", is a continuation of the 1965 FIA GT World Championship-winning Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe. The SPF Coupe was designed by Peter Brock, the designer of the original Daytona Coupe for Shelby American.

Production of the SPF Coupe ran from 2003 to 2009. Several modifications were made to the car and it is now being sold as the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe (CSX9000 series) through authorized Shelby Automobile dealers. Unlike other Superformance replicars, the CSX9000 coupe is available with either a fiberglass or aluminum body.

I've been building a FFR one for the last 3 years with my kids. We are ready to go to paint now. Here is a link to our blog The Homeschool Coupe

IMG_8960.JPG

Tim,
You are making great progress with the car. Do you think going with the "OEM" wiring was worth it compared to wiring it from scratch??

Bill

If i recall correctly the Simeone car was once owned by Phil Spector, who gave the car to his bodyguard, who subsequently died and whose wife locked the car away for a long time leading to the general opinon in Shelby circles that the car was 'lost' - and then it got complicated....

Yes! The Simeone car IS the first Coupe built in California, assembled at $helby in 1964 Venice location, all panels rolled out at Cal metal shaping. Vin # is CSX2287. lost for 27 years in that storage unit. look at the roof inclination. Notice the top edge of the side windows taper down leading forward to the "A" pillar. Only this Coupe was built that way. The later five originals bodies done in Italy were all squared off looking. Brock's / Superformance / Shelby CSX 9000 series cars all resemble the roof design of the "first" car, which was the "correct" way his design intended. Peter states the frontal slope was intended for down force.

Tim,
You are making great progress with the car. Do you think going with the "OEM" wiring was worth it compared to wiring it from scratch??

Bill

Bill I think since I'm using the modular engine and all the traction control and ABS goodies yes the stock harness was the way to go. If I was doing a basic SBF build with carb starting from scratch would be an easier task but I enjoyed the challenge of adapting what I had

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Is SPF still doing their coupe? How did it compare with the real deal?

Ron,

The "Brock coupe/CSX9000" has a six inch stretch in the wheelbase to allow the somewhat larger "95th percentile" American to fit and enter/exit without being a contortionist. Jim Price said he would not build a coupe without two things:

1) Pete Brock's blessing and involvement (and that held it up for some time before Brock decided Jim was serious and agreed)

2) Jim had to fit in it!

The wheels on the early coupes were mandated by the suspension and the tire sizes required to maintain some semblance of proper proportions vs. the original coupes. Those particular tire sizes were not available until they were made for the Shelby Series One.......so Shelby indirectly helped Superformance despite them being in a rather messy legal dispute at the time. The law of unintended consequences!

Back