Daytona coupe project

The Brock/Superformance Coupe's wheel base is 93 inches. The extra 3 inch length was added to the foot wells to accommodate non-jockey sized drivers. .......Forever Ford!

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
You just don't see a lot these cars around. Why do you think that is?

IMHO, 2 reasons there aren't many coupes: 1) Lack of options and 2) it's not recognizable as a Cobra to the average person

1) Options: There are really only two choices right now for someone who wants a coupe, Superformance and FFR. The SPF is a very nice car, but it's a roller and very expensive. The FFR is more expensive than a roadster and significantly harder to build.

2) Plenty of comments on this one already.

Shell valley is still offering the Daytona coupe. It is a 90 inch wheelbase version as the originals where. They are in he process of building two right now.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Shell valley is still offering the Daytona coupe. It is a 90 inch wheelbase version as the originals where. They are in he process of building two right now.

90"??? I thought they were 95"... The Cobra was 90"...

If you could do something about the blind spots... Set it up to use the LS platform also... Do the body in a black gel coat... Change the name from Type 65 to Area 51:)

90"??? I thought they were 95"... The Cobra was 90"...

Uh...the original Daytonas were simply standard 289 chassis that were modified to accept the coupe body--so the wheelbase and track measurements remained the same.

I recently read the definitive book on those things by Pete Brock, George Stauffer and Dave Friedman. Absolutely spectacular. They were expensive originally and now they sell for $2000! If you have a chance to borrow a copy and read it, do so!!!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for setting me straight Mike...

I was going from what I was told when I worked on an FFR Type-65 a buncha years ago...

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
When my neighbor retired, he investigated a car project. He wanted to build a Cobra, but was balding, so instead looked at the FFR Type 65 (covered top). He went to the factory to look at them and sit in one, and after looking at the fit and finish, chose to forego the choice. It's been a couple of years, but I recall he said the door gaps and some other things just weren't up to par for what he wanted. Always pays to see something in person first.

(not many around?) At the 50th Cobra reunion Monterey/ Laguna Seca 2013 we were with a group of 29 Daytona Coupes. Two original cars, one on display at the Shelby-Ford display, the other racing in the main Cobra event (Walton's car that he crashed at turn five) Brock reserved an entire motel in downtown Monterey just for Coupes dubbed "the Daytona Motel". On the Wednesday kick-off day Brock made arrangements for all our Coupes to attend the Monterey Jet Center car/jet show. We set up all the cars in a circular layout in front of one of the main hangers. A great display! Brock had his personal Coupe #SPC0073 there with all his new up-grades, forward cockpit roof vent, and rear side window brake cooling duct modifications done. Saturday at the track with paddock parking and laps through the world famous "cork screw" was "over the top"!!!

When my neighbor retired, he investigated a car project. He wanted to build a Cobra, but was balding, so instead looked at the FFR Type 65 (covered top). He went to the factory to look at them and sit in one, and after looking at the fit and finish, chose to forego the choice. It's been a couple of years, but I recall he said the door gaps and some other things just weren't up to par for what he wanted. Always pays to see something in person first.

Having seen the Gen1 body vs the Gen2 that I have I know the doors were vastly improved along with upgrading the rear hatch to glass from plexi. That said the doors and bonnet all come oversize so gaps are completely up to the talent of the builder or body shop.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys,
Here is a photo of my car. I wish I knew who built the kit. Possibly Shell Valley, but it is very close to original. Tribute Motors in Des Moines, Iowa did the initial assembly. As I understand it the owner was a high-end vintage racer and wanted to give his mechanics something to do in the off-season. Unfortunately, he died unexpectedly. This is the second of two cars built. I purchased it from his estate. It is true-to-form expect it has a 351 six-speed Tremec instead of a 289 four-speed.

One problem with being close to original is that it is a beast to drive,..... but nothing but fun. Just getting into and out of the car is an experience. Driving this car on the track, you quickly realize why the mid-engine concept was developed soon after. You really have to respect the skills of the drivers who raced these!

The Superformance cars deviate significantly from the originals, but are much more "user-friendly," if that is what you are looking for, but then, if that's what you are looking for, buy a new Corvette.

It represents a huge piece of Ford history, winning the Manufacturer's Championship and beating the Ferrari 250!

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 316

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dean,
I would be glad to get more photos for you. I am down in the desert this week, returning to Oregon, where the car is, on the 15th. Any particular feature you would like to see?

I have attached the only other photo I happen to have on my laptop.

David

Attachments

• IMG_0048 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0048 (1024x768).jpg
    490 KB · Views: 338
Here's my old Girl, FFR build. Actually I miss this car, was very nice to drive and a great kit to build.

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_14611.JPG

Glenn M

Supporter
I saw this on Pistonheads and thought it might be of interest for this thread.

Attachments

• 6079488437_3c4301a497_z.jpg
    6079488437_3c4301a497_z.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 378
David it looks like a shell valley car. If you look at there site both the #27 cars as well as the #67 cars where built by me/us here in Colorado. When Rich Anderson owned shell valley years ago he purchased the molds from a company called r&d who was just doing a very basic kit. Rich had come out to race with us, and loved how we had built #27 and pretty much went back home and purchased r&d. The #27 car was then used as a prototype and #67 was the first new generation built using an hour glass frame for more interior room. I am 6' 3'' and we designed the new car to fit those of us that are larger without changing the wheelbase or body. The #67 car was tubbed and we put 335-35-17 on back and I still fit, I did add a gourney bubble for more room with my helmet on.If anyone has an old kit car magazine lying around you can find R&D's add in back. If you post pictures of the inside or front with the clam up I think I can help you with some back ground on your car, or you can call me in the shop 303-828-3642...................mahlon:thumbsup:

This is probably the most rare of all the original coupes.

The car in the Boulder Co museum, does it have coil spring front end, and an FE engine, if so its the second Williment car that was not completed in its original build period.

Attachments

• daytona_achter.jpg
    daytona_achter.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
I'm sure many would know this story better than I, but...

I had heard that Shelby sold some vin numbers to someone in PA who had the correct body molds. They ultimately sold or licensed them to Kirkham who now builds a very accurate aluminum body replica with a price tag to match. Feel free to correct any inaccuracies in the above.

Kirkham 289 Coupe

Regards,

Ron

Back