Daytona coupe project

Here's the info plaque for the Daytona Coupe (CSX2131) at the Boulder museum. I took the pictures a few years ago...

Attachments

• CSX2131_1984_Wilment_Daytona_Coupe_Comp.jpg
    CSX2131_1984_Wilment_Daytona_Coupe_Comp.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 299
  • P1030582_Comp.jpg
    P1030582_Comp.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 294
  • P1030587_Comp.jpg
    P1030587_Comp.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 344
  • P1030599_Comp.jpg
    P1030599_Comp.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 326
Dean, as Mrs Flatchat mentioned here's mine. 1 of 14 Australian made Daytona Sports Coupe by Mr Motec. Ls2 Twin motec Hollinger sequential. Regards Matt

IMG_3991.JPG

Last edited:

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I did the restoration on the Willment Coupe that is in the Boulder museum. As you can see by the pictures that Tom posted it is somewhat different from the "Shelby" coupes not to mention being right hand drive. I also have a lot of internal pictures of Shelby's personal coupe(can't remember the serial number) that was being restored at the same time that I was doing the Willment Coupe. I went to see it for reference of a bunch of parts that were missing from the Willment Coupe like oil cooler ducting, etc. Learned real quick that there were virtually no similar parts other than the chassis.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I did the restoration on the Willment Coupe that is in the Boulder museum. As you can see by the pictures that Tom posted it is somewhat different from the "Shelby" coupes not to mention being right hand drive. I also have a lot of internal pictures of Shelby's personal coupe(can't remember the serial number) that was being restored at the same time that I was doing the Willment Coupe. I went to see it for reference of a bunch of parts that were missing from the Willment Coupe like oil cooler ducting, etc. Learned real quick that there were virtually no similar parts other than the chassis.

Was that the one I saw being restored by in the early to mid '80s at Pantava?

Yes, that was it. For sure this car was not an FE powered car.

That's correct, its a leaf spring chassis, the 'other' car I am referring to has a coil spring chassis with 4" dia main chassis tubes, an FE with dual 4bbl's, and just to add to the mix there appears to be a third Willment style body as well, all three in the same w/shop on the same day.

Keith

I took these pictures myself in the early '80's at Brands Hatch...

It looked a bit messed up to be honest...

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I took these pictures myself in the early '80's at Brands Hatch...

It looked a bit messed up to be honest...

That is what it looked like when I got it. Messed up is a mild description. Here is a picture of what it looked like when done. And yes, the bonnet still doesn't fit. Didn't want to change that. I did lengthen the bubble over the carbs so that the velocity stacks didn't have to be cut down. Don't tell anyone I did that. Oh, wait, I just did.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 278

Keith

What's the deal with the back window Mike? My impression was that there just wasn't one but your restored pics shows the same configuration. Is that area sealed to the body but open to the cockpit? Presumably the cockpit is sealed up.....

Better aero? Seems an odd treatment but it does show up on several mid engine cars...

PS She looks a lot better now!

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
What's the deal with the back window Mike? My impression was that there just wasn't one but your restored pics shows the same configuration. Is that area sealed to the body but open to the cockpit? Presumably the cockpit is sealed up.....

Better aero? Seems an odd treatment but it does show up on several mid engine cars...

PS She looks a lot better now!

I have attached a photo that you can barely see the vertical plastic window that is located in the "sugar scoop" rear deck. You can see the finger prints on the window and the two ventilation holes in it. I would have to assume that this deck was fabricated in an attempt to get better ventilation in the cockpit by creating a low pressure in the sugar scoop area and draw air out through the vents in the rear window. I drove this car a lot and it was very uncomfortable but really fast.

I found another picture that brought back memories. It shows the coupe in the foreground being taken apart. It also shows the three Shelby GT350R's that were in for work at the same time. To the right and out of the picture is the prototype GT40 GT105. Probably a half dozen Pantera and that many mustangs as well. In todays dollars there are a bunch in there.

I just found a close up of the rear window and have attached it as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 288
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 294
Back