Getting started on a 917K

This is a different style of 962 flat fan. It is run of of a jack shaft.
You could make onme out of a bush hog transmission if you had to !

Attachments

• bigh.jpg
    bigh.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 555
Hi Johan
A customer bought a Kraftwerkz car Chassis no 12 in to the Factory last week with a 962 engine and with Flat fan on it . Looks Magnificent, 720 hp at 8000 Rpm . !!

Yes The fan lined up perfect, The car actually raced two weekends against David Piper car here in South Africa early feb this year . Fully functional . The Chassis has been a problem though. The engine is being pulled and installed in a Bailey Edwards Chassis and will hit the track in about 6 weeks time the Body is being painted in the no 22 Martini Colours, iwth rear tail fins etc.

Nice to have closure on a thread!!!!

Not quite yet.

What about a european watercooled 180° 12 with app the same displacement and firing order ? Should sound exactly the same and powerwise it is in the >400 Hp range. A probably nice fitting transaxle is already connected.
One should be able to find it for app the same money as a twin turbo 911 engine with a matching transaxle costs. The only issue is the color.

It supposedly has red heads :))

TOM

Hi Tom,

I suppose you're talking about the engine of the Ferrari BB 512

Cheers JP

or 512TR or 512M.....:lipsrsealed:

Put a ferrari engine in a porsche replica....i'm not enthusiat....

Ferrari engine are not that much reliable....
maintenance operation are huge and costs a lot....
(a friend of mine has had to overhaul his testarossa at 60000km (38000m)
=> top end engine replacement 20K euros :sad:)

no, the only way is to rebuild the 912 engine !!!! (I know, i'm dreaming :drunk:)

or 512TR or 512M.....:lipsrsealed:

Put a ferrari engine in a porsche replica....i'm not enthusiat....

Ferrari engine are not that much reliable....
maintenance operation are huge and costs a lot....
(a friend of mine has had to overhaul his testarossa at 60000km (38000m)
=> top end engine replacement 20K euros :sad:)

no, the only way is to rebuild the 912 engine !!!! (I know, i'm dreaming :drunk:)

Thierry ,

you are correct, i´m talking about the last generation TR engines. Good low mileage cars go for 60 -70 K€, so drivetrain should be around 25 -30 K€.
Ok its a F engine, but its the flat 12 avialable for which some people are looking for.
I don´t know how reliable 912´s has been and overhouling those will set you back more than 20 K. BTW Griffith racing had one advertised on his website a few weeks ago for around 160 K€ including a spare crank.

TOM

So where are you going to put the radiator(s) for it? And from the looks of Frans pictures, It looks like they are putting the fuel cell just behind the cockpit, which is intruding into the engine bay; so I doubt a 12cyl engine would fit. I wonder if you can use the sponsons on the mono-version of the car to hold fuel, like the originals.

John

Take a look one page upfront at the biturbo 917. One could as well fit the watercoolers there.
The "fan function" of the wheels could also be used there.Have you ever seen a picture of the famous BRITTEN V2 it had the cooler underneath the seat just using the pressure difference there and the fan effect of the rear wheel.

TOM

The space certainly is there but for the 6 cylinder package we mount the fuel cell in the safest and most logical location possible.......

John..we build everything to order so anything is available and possible...check out the VSR as proof....whe do you fancy ordering the 962????

Back