Getting started on a 917K

hi everybody.attached som pics of the current state off my 918.as you can see the lights are mounted.i bought vw golf typ 2 lights and they look perfect to me.had to stretch the body a little bit around the windshield so there would not be tension on the window.for this purpose i riveted some L shaped aluprofile between tub and lower windowframe.then my panelbeaterfriend had to cut small slits in to the door so it woul allign properly with the body and now he is building a aluframe to be glued to the inside of the door to give it some strenght .the next headache will be to build original looking door hinges,but this is somthing for my next post.solong petr:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 684
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 587
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 613
Pardon a minor correction, but *I* am the first to step off this particular porch. I've had a deposit in on a 917 mono from Fran for a few weeks now. I have a local guy building an engine from a 993 for it (found and bought a donor longblock already) and already have a 930 gearbox sourced as well. Should put near 350HP to the wheels with TWM throttle bodies, Motec, and a fairly mild build. Plan for it to not only be streetable, but hoping to title it as a kit car in NC. Not that I'll drive it much on the street, but I'd like to be able to.

Welcome to a very small club, Craig. ;)

--Donnie

Hi Donnie,
How are you coming on your build? Let us all know Please!

Regarding the posts on how "replica" does a replica need to be, I agree that it just depends on the pocket-book. For me, the mono chassis and a modern air-cooled Porsche engine is about right.

For somenoe to go truly original in a replica would be on the extreme end. The original car really got close to the ideal race car, which falls apart the second it crosses the finish line. The chassis cracked sometimes. They used to pressurize it and put a schraeder valve on one of the rear chassis elements. They would periodically check the air pressure in the chassis - if it dropped, they knew they had a crack somewhere! The bodywork was so thin that if the car was raced over 12 hours on a track that had some grit or sand on it the wear was enough that it would eventually wear holes in the front. The average thickness of the fiberglass body was 1.2mm, or 50 thousandths of an inch. They even diluted the paint with paint thinner so it would add less weight. The bolts on the suspension were titanium and they drilled the centers out to reduce weight. Even the requisite ignition key was drilled out!

Back to my question, though, anyone heard of horizontal fans for 6-cylinder Porsche engines? Or anyone have suggestions as who to call about such things?

Hi Craig,
I was in Marysville, WA last week and stopped by Paul Wier's company and he has all the flat fan parts. They are just humongously (if that's a word) expensive. He has all sorts of really cool stuff. Like 962 plenums...etc.

How are you coming on your build? Any progress you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

r

Back