Getting started on a 917K

The space certainly is there but for the 6 cylinder package we mount the fuel cell in the safest and most logical location possible.......

John..we build everything to order so anything is available and possible...check out the VSR as proof....whe do you fancy ordering the 962????

I've been following you for quite a while now, and know what your capable of producing.
But i think you have me confused for another 'John' on the board. Bound to happen with such a common name! I don't want a 962! I want a 917... and if you could... one with the '71 revised rear body work with shark fins!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/2792318934_5ee6e28f62.jpg

hi there,i am a new forummember and i ordered the switzerlandbound airfreightet rcr917 in march2008.due to some difficult to understand circumstances most of the car really arrived by seafreight in the middle of oktober.:furious:
however,the very long delay was forgotten instantly when i unpacked all the nice parts out of the transportbox.since i started with building dunebuggies,356s,cobra,mirage,mc laren and t70 and some partbuildcars i have never seen such a competent partbuild racereplica.congratulation fran!
so,in the meantime i put in a 3.2liter carrera engine and a 915 gearbox with reversed ring and pignion.for all the 12 cylinderfans,i can tell you this engine fits theigt and i even had to take the heatexchangers off, of the headers.of course,by relocating some smaller gastanks to other aeras one would gain some space.
on the stock fuelinjecton i had to cut and reweld the part with the butterfly,so it would not stick out of the body,but otherwise it was a straight forward action.
now, i am waiting for some parts i hope fran will provide soon and i will give a update of the project in about a month.as soon as i figure out how to send pics,i will include some in my next report.

Hi Petr.

nice to see you on the forum...and thanks for the compliments

I know your shippers were a pain but its nice to know you are moving forward with your build.

I know I and others on here look forward to seeing your build pics...

Your other chassis is sitting here waiting for you....winkwink....why not post some pics of your silver car.....guys on here would love to see it...I know I would too...:thumbsup:....send the pics to me and I can post for you if you need ....

There is another 917 mono heading to Holland in the New Year ....It will be the feature car in some TV advertising campaigns for an Internet company....

Last edited:
guten abend miteinander!!!
:thumbsup:now,i started my rcr917.
since this is a replica of a ancient porschelegend of almost 40 years ago,firstofall i had to change the name in 918, so this is a continuation.
i attached a picture of the 3.2literengine and the 915 gearbox with reversed ring and pignon.as i said,it was a thight but easy fit.i ordered 2 bursch headers(490usd) from eckler industries in titusville fl. and they went on easy again.i will fabricate some mufflers now or even put some cherrybombs on for the beginning.
then i went on working on the wheels.
on the 3part backwheels it is enough space to fit a regular airvalve and after finding a supplier for 140 pieces of 1/4x20 bolts(2.25usd each)the fun started.however the frontwheels are a different story:you have to glue two wheelhalves together and to bolt in the center part.on the outer wheelhalf there is not enough space for a regular airvalve.i decided to go with some design valve where you need a extension to fill in air.so i had to drill a hohle in the centerpart and to find the right angle from the beginning was not easy.
i also attached pictures of this.the wheels with tyres on are rcr.
the wheels in the background are real campagnole 917wheels(i will keep those for wintertyres:laugh:)
:idea:dear fran:i know i have early wheels,but i am shure the next customer will be very gratefully to pay a little extra for complet and assembled wheels.
ok that is it for today,i have to work on the bluemonster,so i can send more storys.petr

Attachments

• DSC00952.JPG
    DSC00952.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 663
  • DSC00941.JPG
    DSC00941.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 516
  • DSC00942.JPG
    DSC00942.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 454
  • DSC00943.JPG
    DSC00943.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 419
hi timbo,after a call to fran,it turned out that the holes in the centerpice should have been drilled while still on his cnc machine,but the silly machine forgat about it:laugh:.however on future wheels this hole will be delivered from new and that makes it easy to bolt thogether.(similar to a bbs):thumbsup:sorry for the confusion.petr

Not disputing it's legendary status, just saying that no single race created the legend, more that it was built over the entire season of races or years of racing which it dominated.
Martin

Hallo Petr,
solltest Du hilfe brauchen... ;-)
Seriously, if you'd like help from a good tech (who's still pretty good despite not having turned wrenches professionally in quite some time) or even just a very interested visitor - give me a shout. I'm just a stone's throw from you and would love to play with (or just stare) 917 parts.

Grüße,
Steve

Back