GT40's vs Ultima

Ron Earp

Admin
If 0 to 100mph to 0 is the ONLY consideration for the title of "World's Fastest Car" then I suspect the Ultima isn't it. There are drag cars that can better the 9.4 sec number by the Ultima and they run on strips all around the United States every weekend. Some are street legal too.

And with the speed range we're talking (0-100mph) about aero is going to be a deal breaker for a GT40 vs. Ultima comparison as there just isn't that large a difference. I think the Ultima record could be broken by a GT40 replica or a any other "box on wheels" given the right equipment and outfitting.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
True this. Plenty of homebrew Mustangs and Chevelles and Mopars running way faster than that on the drag strips.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
I think the rule is that the car has to be fully road legal.

There was a car featured on Fifth Gear that was based on an Audi that was fully street legal but more of a Dragster.

The time was for the 1/4 mile but I would imagine it would be much quicker 0-100-0 especially with a parachute for extra stopping power.

Last edited:

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
There are street legal drag cars in the US that can do 8 or 9 sec quarters and will dust of an Ultima or a GT40. To 100, it is all/mostly about power to weight.

Ron Earp

Admin
At least it is a reasonable discussion going on here. Folks know what the Ultima is and so on. The question is asked on a GT40s forum, well, naturally the answer will be pro-GT40.

I don't much like the Ultima coupe for style, but the Ultima Can Am open car I saw photos of was nice looking. Never seen one in the flesh though.

R

I really love the looks of the GT40 (1968 mk1 style)
though I love the modern Ford GT rear a bit more (not so much the whole GT car wich I find a bit to long)
what I would love to see on the GT40 (does not need to be a exact copy for me) , are butterfly doors (something like the Ultima GTR has, so connected to the roof too), remaining the same style as the original doors to keep the shape, so easier in and out and it does look special too me thinks.

or like this car (butterfly doors)...that kind of way?

black-butterfly-doors.jpg

Ultima GTR is a monster and fast, the GT40 is a timeless beauty and fast.

Last edited:

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
I remember back in what must have been the early 90s we had a stand at the Sandown Park kit Car show in London next to Ultima.

Ted marlow asked me why our stand was always packed with people but his was not.

I replied ' Well its a GT40'

I still see Ted at the Stoneleigh show every year and always make a point of stopping for a quick chat.

Ron Earp

Admin
Sure "street" drag cars accelerate fast but would fail on the braking time
IAn

Some do, some don't.

Bottom line is there are cars that better the Ultima's "world record". They aren't "production" cars, but in my opinion neither is the Ultima.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have to wonder how a full on world rally car would do with some nice fat sticky slicks on it.

Maybe add some big wings, crank up the boost, and lower it like a road race car. Ultimately....ya that's a pun, it's going to be all about weight and grip. They work on both ends of the run.

Yep, seems to come down to styling/nostalgia preferences. Anything low and aerodynamic, with good suspension geometry, can be made to go fast by spending appropriate amounts of money on power, wheels, tyres, etc. The argument about which is better as a "standard" kit bolted together with no mods is too indeterminate to be resolved.

Ron Earp

Admin
I replied ' Well its a GT40'

Agree with that. We're all jaded somewhat because we're used to the look of the cars. But I can remember when I first saw one and it was the most fabulous shape I'd ever seen. The Ultima, IMHO, just won't ever have that.

Once again I don't think most GT40 owners care whether they can beat an Ultima or have the fastest car on the planet. We like our cars because of the history and style of the car.

I agree I have a GT40, nothing looks better. But when it comes to outright performance, not how she looks or the hype the Ultima is King.

Why do I want an Ultima? because I want to go fast in a proven car. I'm not an Engineer's arse, I need a car that I know the suspension geomtry is right, I need to know the car is capable, I know the Ultima is because the Factory has proved to me that the car has the goods because they have broken records. For what it's worth I feel safe in a steel spaceframe that has the roll cage integeral with the chassis.

Granted, the Ultima has broken records etc. But the chassis design is actually quite old - it's not the most rigid thing in the world, and if you look at the suspension geometry, especially the front end, most recent designs have gone to a greater offset upright geometry in the pursuit of less scrub radius.

But hey, it's fast, and proven.

As always, it depends... If you wanted an out-right performance monster, I doubt the GT40 would be the choice. I am going to be building the GT40 for the look and not the performance. If I was after straight-line performance, it would be a completely different choice, the same if it was for an outright track car.

I know of one RCR GT40 that raced in St. Louis a few years ago and out ran the "world's fastest" car!:lipsrsealed: Those numbers are in the books. I believe both cars were street legal too. Granted, the Ultima fast but its not the best thing around. I can tell you from experience that Fran's SLC is a serious force and will out run all takers.

Ian Clark

Supporter
I have to agree with Andy on this one. If a GT40 replica with a 720hp engine went up against the actual Ultima tested the results would be virtualy the same. This asumes the same test weight, tires, brakes, gear ratios etc.

I think the Top Gear test track particluarily suited the high power to weight ratio and low speed grip of the Ultima. If the Ultima was compared to a shifter kart and tested on a go kart track, the kart would eat it alive. Now we'd have to rewrite the record books again....

In the real world most GT40s weigh more and have modest power to weight ratio. Sure some cars will out accelerate it, a few might even corner quicker (on a skid pad) but nothing on the street returns the sheer driving experience or arriving in style a GT40 affords, been there done that:)

Cheers

Ian

Back