GT40's vs Ultima

I know of one RCR GT40 that raced in St. Louis a few years ago and out ran the "world's fastest" car!:lipsrsealed: Those numbers are in the books. I believe both cars were street legal too. Granted, the Ultima fast but its not the best thing around. I can tell you from experience that Fran's SLC is a serious force and will out run all takers.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Well go break the record....What are you Guys waiting for? Should only take 9 seconds out of your day.

I'm not saying the Ultima is the best thing around and with time maybe Fran's cars will finish a race or two and maybe get some records along the way, I have no problem with this and will be the first to congratulate. Until then Boys, keep dreaming.

What I find funny is that this very topic came up the fist time I spoke with Fran. It wasn't until I spoke to an ultima owner that had a GTR with 1001 hp (I am sure you all know the car) that I made the decision on the SL-C. In his own words "If the SL-C had been available when I was looking to build I would have bought that".

Something else to think about for those of us on this side of the "pond" is that RCR is right here in the states so support is grater than the Ultima factory gives. Also I am very patriotic and an all American (with the exception of the trans) build was important to me.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
"If the SL-C had been available when I was looking to build I would have bought that".

+1, although I did buy an Ultima already built, but had an equal spec build and priced SLC been available I would have had that.

Something else to think about for those of us on this side of the "pond" is that RCR is right here in the states so support is grater than the Ultima factory gives. Also I am very patriotic and an all American (with the exception of the trans) build was important to me.

I'm not sure the "support is greater"; "equally great" maybe, personally I cannot fault the responsiveness and support offered by the Ultima factory, it is first class.... (Brits know what customer service is). Does it cost more if I need parts, yes shipping adds cost, sometimes I win on exchange rates, not often lately.....

....SL-C bettered the best time a twin turbo Ultima ever did at the Run and Gun a couple of years ago..and now the owner of that very same TT Ultima has an SL-C on order....
Jeff Schwartz?
I recently saw his yellow TT Ultima for sale... now I know why :)

The SLC is streaks ahead in the looks department , but that's just a matter of personal taste. Not that I dislike the Ultima, which I prefer to view from the side or rear for some reason.

also the SLC has a nice alu mono...
I'm not such a fan of a chassis witch is drilled many holes in, to fix alu sheets on with rivets...

I think it comes down to character not just performance with a GT40. I went to see both Ultima and Tornado cars when I was looking for a project and I opted for the GT40. There is just something magical about the cars, the design is a classic and the sense of occasion is something else.

Don't get me wrong I really like the ultima's, they look good and the company have a very good setup but they don't have the history and classical looks of the GT40.

If it was just performance I wanted for track use I'd be on the phone to bailey edwards and order a Porsche 917 replica.

Trev

My question would be, what can be driven on the street and enjoyed by normal people? Sorry, I know we're all not normal, hope you get my point.
Bill

Hey Trev, I doubt you could get the M20 (from the linked youtube clip) for $45k either. Might get some of the engine for that.......
There are more GT40's on the road for a reason though, they have great lines, go and sound good. They also achieved what Henry wanted.....blitzed Enzo's mules for 4 years straight. The history of the car is brilliant.
Just my 10c worth.
Cheers, Gus.

You can throw whatever engine in an Ultima, or you can throw another engine in a newer Ford GT. That 1004 hp Ultima posted has a standing mile of 211 mph. I'm guessing it weighs less than a ford gt, but then you have different gearing etc. How do you make a fair comparison. It would take a lot of work to make a fair comparison, and even then it would come down to aerodynamics even in a basic straight line test.

Ford GT 252.97mph World Record Standing Mile - Car Videos on StreetFire

YouTube - NASCAR Burnout after 253mph Standing Mile

It can be beat, here is a standing mile of a Ford GT w/ 1400 hp at 253mph.

Is there a video of an Ultima doing faster?

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Chris,
The discussion was comparing the Ultima with a GT40 replica. The Ford GT is a whole differant car, with 40 years of advanced technology.

Regards Brian

Back