Jim's RCR Build

Update: fog lights and air dams

Been working on the front of the car lately. I decided to go with a different light set up. I purchased 3" fog lights with LED halo's. I know they are a little "modern looking" but I like them... The other hole (yet to be cut) will be the amber turn indicator light. I think the relationship between the two lights fills the area well. (of course I'm going to say that :)).

I also started to figure out the air dam situation. Here is my first mock up. Anyone have a good place to get thin sheets of fiberglass? I want to build it similarly to what Randy did on this car.

foglight_zps171b07b8.jpg

foglight1_zpsa81709bf.jpg

airdam1_zps50190cb1.jpg

airdam2_zps0cec19a2.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Looks nice Jim...

Actually you and I are on similar paths. I am using 5-1/4" lights with integral LED Halos". The Halo light itself will be the turn signal indicator..

Thanks Randy. I like your idea of the halo serving as the indicator. I couldn't find the 5.25"... The sizes I saw were 4" or lower and 5.75" above. I'm anxious to see them.

Air ducts are now made out of fiberglass and in process of being molded to the hood. My wife won't let me in the house until I'm rid of the smell. That stuff is pretty potent!

airdam3_zpsddeac038.jpg

airdam4_zps4ad97ed0.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice going Jim!

I use West Systems epoxy resin. No smell and very very strong..

FRONT AIR DAM - Getting kind of use to working with fiberglass. I have gone through enough paint brushes, that's for sure. The foam I used worked really well with forming the shape and it separated without any issues. A little filler to smooth it out and I think it will look pretty nice.

airdamfoam1_zps76dec6d8.jpg

airdamfoam_zps1b1bcc20.jpg

airdamlayer1_zps5698a929.jpg

airdamlayer2_zps80b66373.jpg

Well just posted a long post but the airplane I'm on is going through a storm and made me hit the wrong button! Still alive- working on the car. Body is coming along nicely. Will post pics! Ugh....

Quick question.. How did you guys finish off the rear decklid and flares? I think I need to do something here.... Thanks

Working on the door gaps.

Splicing in the flares on the rockers.

Had to cut the tops of the flares off and replace with new fiberglass.

Brake ducts and engine ducting. I found a pre-molded air dual air duct setup and modified it to work. I also made "brackets" inside the deck lid to secure the ducts.

Mock up of the deck lid stop. Made it out of chip board. Hey, I'm architect.. We make models with this stuff all the time!

cut opening for the MSD box

Engine test fit. It went surprisingly well today. No big surprises and things seem to fit well.

I will make sleeves for the bolts. The kit comes with 8" bolts but I think I will need 9-1/2" for things to work. The sleeves will be 2.5" in length. This leaves me 9" clear from the face of the block (not timing cover and water pump) to the firewall.

Had to provide a little clearance. The way the drivetrain is set now the axles will be square to the wheels. Pretty happy about that..

Still…. working…. on… the… 40…. For some crazy reason I bought 3 1967 mustang fastbacks.. Here is one that just came back from paint. It has a supercharged coyote engine… This one has been in the works for a few years. Two others in progress. The GT40 comes back online this summer!

This one rolled into town this winter..

Back