RCR #010 Build Progress

The final stretch!!

We perched the rolling chassis on a steel work dolly that I made this week in order to start disassembling all the components so the chassis can be powdercaoted. There are a lot of parts on this baby!!

Here is the chassis nice and snug on the dolly, awaiting disassembly
details015.jpg

details016.jpg

And here are all those freaking parts!!
parts005.jpg

parts004.jpg

parts003.jpg

parts002.jpg

It won't be long now!!

Cheers
Bill D

Okay, I give up. How did you get the chassis on the dolly?

Looks great and you are really making progress! I do miss your 28 day countdown.

Mark
We used an engine hoist and 4 ratchet tow straps to raise the car high enough to slip the dolly underneath. Then we pushed it back in the garage.

Trailing arms go to the chrome plater tomorrow.

Rear bulkhead, fuel pump mounting panels, rear clip hood pin brackets, and a lot of the smaller stuff goes to the powdercoater tomorrow.

I'm wondering if I could/should chrome plate the uprights and control arms.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Mark
Trailing arms go to the chrome plater tomorrow.

Rear bulkhead, fuel pump mounting panels, rear clip hood pin brackets, and a lot of the smaller stuff goes to the powdercoater tomorrow.

I'm wondering if I could/should chrome plate the uprights and control arms.

I'm planning on plating all of the trailing arms, radius rods on mine. The billet components I'm planning on polishing and then clear powder-coating..

Good work Bill!

David, Ron and Fran are right but not because of a cosmetic preference. If you have a part fail or a weld crack, you won't be able to catch it before it is to late. Chrome can hide a lot of stuff that shouldn't be hidden. Maybe the others can elaborate more.

And for what its worth, I have never seen an original with chrome anything! If you must have chrome, use nickle.

Bill, I seem to recall that you epoxied the sill beads to the fuel tanks. Are you going to have the chassis coated with them in place? Will the epoxy handle the 350 to 400 degree baking process?

I also agree that you either nickle plate, paint, or powdercoat the suspension arms. I would polish the uprights, but I'm not sure that clear coat will stick over time. I know Zoops used to make a coating that they claimed held up for years when applied over polished aluminum.

no polish either, you have gone to extreme lengths to preserve the original look, do not ruin it with bling. My Daytona has a Roush motor and they insist on shiney parts everywhere. I cannot wait to take a sand blaster to the manifold.

Thanks for keeping my head straight Chuck. It's awfully easy to get carried away with these cars.

On another note, I checked out Racing Icons (racingicons.com). The original cars they restored had silver trailing arms. Maybe I should just paint mine silver.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I did my trailing arms / a-arms / uprights / rear body struts with a silver ceramic coating (eg JetHot, etc).

It is way more durable than powder-coating, & will polish up nicely with any good metal polish paste - looks like polished alloy. If you try real hard, you can scratch it, but you can hit it with a hammer & it will not chip.

Maybe worth a thought ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• 8-Headers 2 small (Medium).jpg
    8-Headers 2 small (Medium).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 684
Still can't get over those rear steamrollers - I love it! That's a lot of work Bill but it's going to be worth the effort when the car is re-assembled and painted. Looking forward to seeing the progress as you go - wish I was that far along! ;)

Great job as always-

Chris

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
It is a lot of effort, taking things off and then re-assembling, but in the overall scheme of things, when you are re-assembling for the final time it feels so sweet. You've done it before but all the other times you had to consider your every move to ensure you don't stuff things up - it's slow going! This time around, there are no surprises and you know that you are putting it together for the LAST time (or until the next upgrade comes along...).
On the home stretch Bill, well done for a great build and I'm sure you'll be the proudest bloke around every time you scramble into your car! rockonsmile

Bill.

p.s Keep the photos coming - you know we love your pictorial updates...

Back