RCR #010 Build Progress

Ceramic coating is the way to go(they even have colors), but be sure you have it done professionally. It cost a little more, but it gets done right. I did a lot of my parts that were steel and they look so much better. You also avoid any rust issues due to the prep of the pieces(bead blasting). Any aluminum that you don't want to "age" should be coated with Zoops Seal. Most of my rear pieces came either spray painted or powdercoated. Overspray was everywhere. When I cleaned the car up, I covered most with primer til time to do the deed. I knew there would be at least ten times the stuff would be put on then removed before all the mods were done. Saved nicking them up, as you can see with the primered parts. The trailing arms have been replaced with totally adjustable units which will be coated in the next week or two.

Bill

Attachments

• P1010263 (Small).JPG
    P1010263 (Small).JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,025
  • P1010265 (Small).JPG
    P1010265 (Small).JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,028
  • P1010273 (Small).JPG
    P1010273 (Small).JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,017
  • P1010285 (Small).jpg
    P1010285 (Small).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,053
Spent the last two days fabricating a shifter cover. It's made from 16 ga mild steel and welded together. It will be covered in leather.
shifter%20cover%20005.jpg

shifter%20cover%20006.jpg

shifter%20cover%20007.jpg

shifter%20cover%20008.jpg

Bill D

Bill,

From your photos and the incline of your seats, it doesn't apprear you are planning on a submarine strap to your seat belt set-up. Have you given any thought to a submarine strap due to the angle of your seats?

Your cover looks great. Will be waiting to see how much better it looks when it is covered in leather. Should be a great add to your build. Great work!!!

Gary
I hadn't given it much thought. Do you think I should add one?

Absolutely. I am glad it came up, because I had not thought about it. As reclined as 40 seats are, you really need one. The 6 point is even better, but anything is better than nothing.

For what it is worth, some clubs will not let you run a four point on track.

I got the dash back from the painter today. He extended the front edge so it pushes up agaist the spider. He sealed and primered it for me. I was planning on having it covered in leather, but I'm running out of money FAST!! I've decided to paint it satin black.

dashprep.jpg

dashprep%20001.jpg

Starting the final assembly. I had all the suspension parts media blasted. They used Sodium Bicarbonate which gave the parts a really nice look. It also removed all the machine marks. I also painted the trailing arms gloss black

Before:
RCR_rear_upright.jpeg

After:
rear_suspension%20001.jpg

rear_suspension%20002.jpg

rear_suspension%20005.jpg

rear_suspension%20007.jpg

rear_suspension%20006.jpg

Next up - assembling the front suspension

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
I like it! Gonna have to try it .... Did you simply use regular baking soda in your home blast cabinet?

Rob
No, I sent them out to a shop that specializes in soda blasting. The media is not your regular bicarb available at the drug store. However, Eastwood now sells a home unit and the correct bicarb media. You could do them at home if you aleady have a cabinet blaster.

Eastwood Soda Blasting

The cost for the shop to do my front upper and lower contol arms, front and rear uprights, and rear lower control arms was $120.

Rob, Its usually a total loss setup, you just hose the powder away when finished. The Industrial size unit that I use has huge compressed air capacity with adjustable pressure, the higher pressurecan do some damage especially if your removing paint from light aircraft wing skins etc. The Industrial unit has a diesel powerplant driving a large capacity 'Screw type'compressor. Might not impress your next door neighbour if he has just cleaned his car or windows!

I would be interested to see how it works in a cabinet, would imagine you need really 'dry' air supply in a recycle situation.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Bill - What is that in the top picture? It's not one of the rear uprights... Has 6 holes instead of 3...

Back