RCR #010 Build Progress

Bill,
Car looks fantastic! The neighbor next door must be real pleased to have that monster living next door. The Prius in the driveway might dump it's water when you start that thing up for the first time! Long live political incorrectness.

Got my exhaust system back from being ceramic coated tonight and proceeded to install it
exhaust_001.jpg

exhaust_002.jpg

Slow but steady progress :)

Chuck

Supporter
Bill

Your engine compartment looks like a work of art. Shoot, the entire car looks like a work of art!!!! It has really come together well.

Chuck

Bill,

Where are the shots of the interior you were waiting on?

As Chuck said..."a work of art."

Thanks for sharing your build! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers,
Howard

I installed the driving lights and driving light covers tonight. The driving lights are 5-3/4" early GM headlamps but with clear lenses. The standard bulbs were replaced with 130W Halogen bulbs. The light covers were fitted with 1/16" x 1/2" adhesive backed foam rubber to seal the light and keep the elements out. I used 8-32 SSTL button head machine screws to attach the covers to the body
DSCN1375.JPG

DSC02591.JPG

I also installed the door number lights
DSCN1373.JPG

Bill D

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Bill: Those 130 watt halogen lights should work well for both take off and landing!

I'm just hoping that they won't be too hot since the plexi covers will not allow any air in to cool them..

These are the same lights (shells) that I plan on using.. All I have to do is source them..

Great work Bill :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Randy
They are made by Zoops and are available from Summit Racing. I used mounting buckets from Year One and had to modify them for the lights to fit. I can get you the part numbers.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy
They are made by Zoops and are available from Summit Racing. I used mounting buckets from Year One and had to modify them for the lights to fit. I can get you the part numbers.

I'll check out Summit - Thanks for the tip.. If you have the PN's handy that might go well also! I may even have some old headlight buckets in the shop too!

So I would take it that these lights are the same size as the old Quad Headlight cars?

Made a little more progress tonight. I installed one side of the fresh air ducting, one brake cooling duct, one headlight and headlight cover.

headlight_001.JPG

DSCN1422.JPG

DSCN1424.JPG

Tomorrow, the other side

Chuck

Supporter
Question: You use SS button head screws to secure the light covers. Did you screw them directly into the fibert glass or did you you Nutserts or something similar??

Will you use the black foam 1/16 x 1/2 tape around all the light covers and window opening? How difficult was it to make it bend around the tight corners? I like that idea!

Keep the posts coming. Your car is really looking good.

Chuck

Hey Bill the car is looking fantastic. I would love to stop by and see it. The wife and I are planning to drive our Cobra from Oregon to California along the coast line in June. We are heading out June 14th and plan to be in your area mid week or so depending how long we stay in each town along the way.

If we could stop by some time that week let me know..OK?:nice:

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Question: You use SS button head screws to secure the light covers. Did you screw them directly into the fibert glass or did you you Nutserts or something similar??

Will you use the black foam 1/16 x 1/2 tape around all the light covers and window opening? How difficult was it to make it bend around the tight corners? I like that idea!

Keep the posts coming. Your car is really looking good.

Chuck

Yup - it's coming right along nicely! Don't rush it - enjoy the build!!!

Also curious about the black foam tape - McMaster part numbers? :)

Chuck - I sent you a PM

Randy - I used SSTL 8-32x1/2 button head socket drive machine screws (McMaster P/N 92949A194), and SSTL flat washers (McMaster P/N 90107A010). I installed 8-32 internal thread cad plated nutserts into the body (McMaster P/N 98560A541).

The foam is 1/2" wide x 1/16" thick adhesive backed foam rubber from McMaster-Carr. I'll have to look up the part number as I don't have it written down.

Installing the foam can be tricky because it's very thin and will tear if not handled gently. Its very sticky and once placed on the Lexan, its a bitch to get off. You can remove it by rolling your thumb over it like rubber cement. It balls up and comes off. My wife held the roll while I slowly applied it to the windows and light covers. It makes sharp turns very easily.

Hope this helps
Bill D

Bill, your car is looking great! I can't wait to see the interior pictures. I know they will be just as fantastic as the rest of the build. First class all the way!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Bill - Thanks for the numbers...
I'm curious why you applied the foam tape to the lexan rather than directly to the body..

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I would think it would be easier to apply to the lexan on the workbench than to a recess on the body.

Also applying to the lesan you can ensure it is stuck all ove and looks neat as opposed to having potential gaps the other way around

Just my run on it

Ian

Back