Replicas of Gurney-Westlake Valve Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its possible but then the valve covers become very tall and the exhaust may have an interference problem.....so....custom exhaust and valve cover spacers just to have Gurney Westlake written on them...hhmm
There is an easier way...
take some 351 covers and chop the top off a set of Chris's covers and then attach them to the 351 covers...voila...a GW applique and no major rework required.....just a thought...

Hi guys
I have one pair of covers in stock and it will be next year before I make more.

Regards

chris.

I've received my set from Chris and polished the tops already; but they don't seem to fit on my crate 302, std. rockers? Am I doing something wrong? Otherwise, I can just pass it on to somebody if anyone's interested...no holes drilled yet.

JCoop

we bolted a set onto one of our AFR headed engines on display in the UK whilst on the display stand, we have stainless steel roller rockers on that engine and we bolted a set straight on.....no problem.

Ray, I am interested in your covers but would like to know if you need to use spacers to clear AFR's with roller rockers.

Thanks Fran,
I'll try again.

Simon, I think a little bit of relieving is required if yuu have roller rockers; not sure, though. Maybe Chris can let us know.

I know each manufacturer of roller rockers has their own slight design differences , so it is feasible that some brands may require the valve covers to be relieved..I personally have had no issues ...but that is not to say it cant occur.

The covers have a ton of meat inside and will allow quite major rework should it be required without sacrificing their integrity......dont forget guys,
we are building custom cars not Lego....

Isn't the joy of car building the trials and tribulations along the path to success.......
I know I keep telling myself that when the going gets a little tough....the other thing I tell myself is that........."I must be crazy "...wink

As the phrase goes "only problems create solutions!" [as we tell our trainees offshore anyway :) ],

If life was easy then there would be less fun involved. I love that quote "we're building custom cars not Lego" Might get it put on the garage wall :) :) , think I might need it over the next year or so!!

Hi Guys

I have just collected ten sets of Gurney Weslake replica valve covers five sets are already sold and shipped leaving five sets available. They are $400 a pair and $30 to ship to the USA.
Sold on a first come first served basis, email to [email protected]
regards

Chris Melia

Attachments

• Gurney weslake 3.jpg
    Gurney weslake 3.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,016
Last edited:
I just received a set of Gurney-Weslake (no 't' in Weslake) valve covers from Chris, and everything was as promised. Courteous updates by phone and email, and delivery in less time than promised. And they look great!

Now I just have to decide whether to paint them or not, and then dash them off to Keith Craft so he can add them to the engine he's building for me. Let's see, I have some decals and now valve covers, pretty soon there'll be a car under all that stuff!

By the way, thanks Chris!

As a follow-up, does anyone have experience with painting valve covers of this sort? Due to heat and oil, etc., is it necessary to powder coat them, or is there an off-the-shelf spray paint that will do the job?

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to paint mine black.

Kim

I bought a set of these covers from Chris and they are wonderful. They did however require some material removal for use with my AFR 302 roller heads. It cost me $60 to have them milled to fit. I powder coated them...see photo.

Attachments

• DSCN0147 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0147 (Small).JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 738

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
As a follow-up, does anyone have experience with painting valve covers of this sort? Due to heat and oil, etc., is it necessary to powder coat them, or is there an off-the-shelf spray paint that will do the job?

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to paint mine black.

Kim

I've used VHT Wrinkle-Black paint on both Intake manifolds as well as Valve Covers. Never had it flake off or chip. Once baked on it is about as impervious to fuel, chemicals, etc as Power Coating..

yhst-66630250998963_1922_1070928

VHT Wrinkle Plus Coating

Hi Lynn

I like your treatment, your covers look great.

Hi John

I do supply Tornado with these covers, but I do have 4 sets left.

regards

Chris.

Just to update the thread, I received my set two days ago, on time, as advertised! I'll have to grind 3/8" off the rear corners to provide a gap for two exhaust primaries, but a very minor job. They clear the Crane roller rockers with no problem.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back