Sean's RCR GT40 build

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
photo is of the car after paint (thanks Mitch)..

Attachments

• IMG_6156.jpeg
    IMG_6156.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 237

Sean S.

Supporter
I was on the fence with the door eyebrows as well... but I haven't seen people use something that ties into the roll bar, and searching the forums didn't yield any results. Could you point me to an example?

BTW, I have no problems at 3/16" gaps as well around the doors. I had the same problem with the doors dragging during opening until I opened them up slightly. 3/16" is my target everywhere but I had to take a break from the fiberglass work... lots to circle back to in the future.

You're flying through this body work!!!!! keep up the great work.
Check out Jason’s build. He did a really nice job on his. http://www.gt40supercharged.com/gt40_interior.html
Post in thread 'Jason's Coyote Powered RCR40 Downunder'
https://www.gt40s.com/threads/jasons-coyote-powered-rcr40-downunder.26333/post-371055

I’ve seen a couple others do it similar to this as well tying into the roll bars.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Randy.

What kind of gaps did it have for the doors? Did you keep them at 1/8”?
I’m pretty sure I sanded them out to 3/16” all the way around to make room for sealing primer and paint. Mitch had the car painted, so he’d know for sure - but 3/16” generally gives you a 1/8” gap after paint.

Sean S.

Supporter
I feel like I’m at a pretty big milestone. Just need to do a little more to the top of the passenger door and I can say the doors and clamshell are now fitted. I put 3/16” all the way around as suggested. It looks great. I used a steel flat bar I sanded each end on to make sure it was 3/16”. I sanded the gaps until the bar would slip in and slightly drag.

Opening the doors up got rid of the dragging issue I had on the spider, I also under cut the door there a bit more to make a sharper point. I plan to keep moving on the bodywork for now. I’m hoping I can get most of it done over the next few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_3046.jpeg
    IMG_3046.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3047.jpeg
    IMG_3047.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3049.jpeg
    IMG_3049.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3048.jpeg
    IMG_3048.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3052.jpeg
    IMG_3052.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3053.jpeg
    IMG_3053.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3055.jpeg
    IMG_3055.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 104

Sean S.

Supporter
I was able to get the rear of the passenger door to lay flush with the spider. I had to make a cut in the door shell that would allow me to glue the door skin on to let it sit a bit lower. This worked out well. Now that section of the door sits even with the spider, and I can finally say that the door and spider fitment is completed.

I decided to go ahead and cut out the center sections of the roll bar and move them 2” inboard while I was working on the doors. I have them tacked in for now and will weld them out once I pull it all apart for finishing. I still need to test it with a seat in it, but I’m m sure this will get those bars far enough away from my head. I like that the center bars sit well inside the door jambs now, I didn’t like the look of them out past the jambs at all.

Attachments

• IMG_3058.jpeg
    IMG_3058.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3057.jpeg
    IMG_3057.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3059.jpeg
    IMG_3059.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3061.jpeg
    IMG_3061.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3064.jpeg
    IMG_3064.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3062.jpeg
    IMG_3062.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3063.jpeg
    IMG_3063.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 104
It almost seems like the roll cage overall is very low. I have a similar setup in my AP and it sets high enough that they don't install the underside of the spider or the insides of the A-pillars. I have the pieces and plan to trim them up and install them at some point.

I feel like I’m at a pretty big milestone. Just need to do a little more to the top of the passenger door and I can say the doors and clamshell are now fitted. I put 3/16” all the way around as suggested. It looks great. I used a steel flat bar I sanded each end on to make sure it was 3/16”. I sanded the gaps until the bar would slip in and slightly drag.

Opening the doors up got rid of the dragging issue I had on the spider, I also under cut the door there a bit more to make a sharper point. I plan to keep moving on the bodywork for now. I’m hoping I can get most of it done over the next few weeks.

We seem to have body filler on identical places along the sides of the car lol. This is definitely a big milestone!!! looking great.

Sean S.

Supporter
Went ahead and fitted the windows to make sure I didn’t need to do any body filler around them, so far everything looks pretty good where the glass meets the body. I plan to go ahead and mount the headlight covers as well to check them before proceeding with the bodywork. I was happy to see my air cleaner clears the rear window.

Attachments

• IMG_3077.jpeg
    IMG_3077.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3087.jpeg
    IMG_3087.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3088.jpeg
    IMG_3088.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3089.jpeg
    IMG_3089.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 81

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Hi Sean,
Everything is looking great! What are you using for attaching your windows? On mine, I've drilled & tapped for #6 screws. However, I had trouble with the fiberglass lip not being quite wide enough in a couple of areas. Lower part of the headlamp covers for one, but especially the top 3 screws on the left side door. I had to add some glass along that edge (red arrow in the attached pic) to make the lip wide enough to drill into.
Rod

Attachments

• Windows In 3.jpg
    Windows In 3.jpg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 68

Sean S.

Supporter
Body is looking really, really good!
Thanks Bryan

Still have a lot of finessing left to do, but overall it’s coming together. I think I’m getting close to spraying a guide coat on everything but the front clip to start blocking. I’m hoping to get the front Sorted out within the next week or so.

Sean S.

Supporter
Hi Sean,
Everything is looking great! What are you using for attaching your windows? On mine, I've drilled & tapped for #6 screws. However, I had trouble with the fiberglass lip not being quite wide enough in a couple of areas. Lower part of the headlamp covers for one, but especially the top 3 screws on the left side door. I had to add some glass along that edge (red arrow in the attached pic) to make the lip wide enough to drill into.
Rod
Hi Rod.

Thank you.

I used 8-32 on the rear window since I had a large flange to work with. I used 6-32 on the side windows and centered the screws to the smallest edge(the top of the doors where you indicated) since that flange was all over the place on width I figured centering it on the smallest flange was the way to go and just made the other screws the same spacing off the edge of the glass to make them all match.

I haven’t made it to the headlight covers yet, but I’m hoping to also use 6-32 screws there as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Hi Rod.

Thank you.

I used 8-32 on the rear window since I had a large flange to work with. I used 6-32 on the side windows and centered the screws to the smallest edge(the top of the doors where you indicated) since that flange was all over the place on width I figured centering it on the smallest flange was the way to go and just made the other screws the same spacing off the edge of the glass to make them all match.

I haven’t made it to the headlight covers yet, but I’m hoping to also use 6-32 screws there as well.
Have you decided how you want to seal your windows yet? I've heard of several different methods. I can't decide if I want to paid the back side of the window around the border black first as well to hide imperfections in the material I use to seal the window.

Sean S.

Supporter
Have you decided how you want to seal your windows yet? I've heard of several different methods. I can't decide if I want to paid the back side of the window around the border black first as well to hide imperfections in the material I use to seal the window.
I haven’t even researched any of that yet. I was thinking about painting the backside of the glass to hide how uneven the flange is behind it, but not sure if that’s even necessary.

Sean S.

Supporter
Got the flares that attach to the rocket panels on. Still need to pull them off to glass them and need to get some body filler to make it match the clamshell. I was surprised the curves were this far off on the 2 pieces.

I also had to cut the tops off due to how warped they were, I plan to fill it back in with the top flange of the old ones to save a bit of work. I cut the old ones to make the support I screwed into on the back side, that worked out great since it was already curved to what I needed to hold.

Attachments

• IMG_3106.jpeg
    IMG_3106.jpeg
    455.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3118.jpeg
    IMG_3118.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3119.jpeg
    IMG_3119.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3120.jpeg
    IMG_3120.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3121.jpeg
    IMG_3121.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3122.jpeg
    IMG_3122.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3123.jpeg
    IMG_3123.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3124.jpeg
    IMG_3124.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 79

Sean S.

Supporter
Wish I could say that was easy. After tons of fiberglass and body filler dust……. I got the rocker panels done with the flares attached. Went ahead and primed them and the clamshell with high build primer to start blocking them. It’s nice to see that clamshell as one color. Spider and doors will be getting the primer soon. Only big challenge I have now is a little more finessing on the front clip to call the body fitted.

Attachments

• IMG_3129.jpeg
    IMG_3129.jpeg
    531.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3133.jpeg
    IMG_3133.jpeg
    403.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3136.jpeg
    IMG_3136.jpeg
    442.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3141.jpeg
    IMG_3141.jpeg