Sean's RCR GT40 build

Vinny P

Supporter
I’m still on the fence with the eyebrows. I have a set but not sure if I really like how they look. Unfortunately they don’t cover the area of the door that’s rubbing. I’m debating something that ties into the roll bar to hold the doors in place as I have seen others do.

The part that hits is the corner where it starts to transition from the roof to the side of the car. Both sides hit in the same spot pointed out in the picture
Your project is coming together nicely. I have had the same issue during my mockup fit. I have not tried to tackle that problem yet, (it's really a slight amount of rub) My thought was to adjust the door slightly higher than the spider (just enough to clear the spider) and then have the final adjustment in the latch and striker to tie the alignment together. It should work in theory. Also take as much material off the inside edge of the corner of the door as you can. I hope to be working on my fitment sometime next week, I will keep you posted.

Sean S.

Supporter
I was able to get a lot done the last few days. Welded out the roll cage, got the spider, doors, and front clip sprayed with high build primer. I’m glad to see all the body lines are still were they need to be with only minimal effort to realign. The car is definitely looking good now that it’s all one color. I feel like I’m finally getting to the downhill side of this build.

She also got her first Carwash yesterday, just over 2 years of dust and filth had it looking pretty bad.

Going to leave the front clip off for a bit to make some radiator modifications. Going to move the passenger side piping to the bottom to help clear the nostrils. I also plan to install a bung on the top to have a line attached to help keep the air bleed out of the system.

Attachments

• IMG_3201.jpeg
    IMG_3201.jpeg
    578.6 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3205.jpeg
    IMG_3205.jpeg
    400.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_3207.jpeg
    IMG_3207.jpeg
    469.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3214.jpeg
    IMG_3214.jpeg
    805.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_3216.jpeg
    IMG_3216.jpeg
    562.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3219.jpeg
    IMG_3219.jpeg
    532.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3220.jpeg
    IMG_3220.jpeg
    558.4 KB · Views: 168

Sean S.

Supporter
I’m getting a little better with the aluminum welding. Got the pipe moved to the bottom of the radiator. This definitely got things cleaned up in the front. I will have no issues with the modifications I want to make on the nostrils now. I will plan to make a line to come out of the top of the radiator to help keep the air bled out of it while the car is running.

Attachments

• IMG_3241.jpeg
    IMG_3241.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3242.jpeg
    IMG_3242.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3243.jpeg
    IMG_3243.jpeg
    590.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3254.jpeg
    IMG_3254.jpeg
    592.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3255.jpeg
    IMG_3255.jpeg
    514.3 KB · Views: 133
Isnt that an aweful flow, NOT to have diagonal flow accross entire radiator. But to only have flow accross the bottom?
(trying to depict flow RED versus Green)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    351.6 KB · Views: 148

Sean S.

Supporter
Isnt that an aweful flow, NOT to have diagonal flow accross entire radiator. But to only have flow accross the bottom?
Good observation, I might be wrong in my thinking. But my thoughts are that the flow of the pump should cause a pressure drop between the 2 tanks across the fins. If so, it should flow throughout the entire radiator. As of now it seems to be heating the entire radiator and cooling the engine well. Although it is only 50 deg outside today.

Last edited:

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I'm with Darius on this one Sean, For an air bleed just tap and install a petcock or an old style rad drain near the top of of one of the end tanks and add a hose.

Attachments

• GOPR0527.JPG
    GOPR0527.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 151
I think you're good Sean.

Under very low flow, you may have most of the flow through the bottom, but when the pump is moving water, there will be a pressure differential across the core that will cause flow across the whole radiator.

Sean S.

Supporter
That moment you realize you just built the mold for your new dual nostril setup backwards….. Guess I’ll be taking this apart to make it the right way tomorrow :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_3322.jpeg
    IMG_3322.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3321.jpeg
    IMG_3321.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3320.jpeg
    IMG_3320.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 134
One step forward, two steps back. Know it all too well.
On a positive note you are making amazing headway on your build. And it is turning out awesome!

Sean S.

Supporter
After making the mold the correct way, I was able to get the dual snorkel completed. I made it using plexiglass, this allowed me to make an identical mold on the other side by flipping each pice and using the same screw holes.

Attachments

• IMG_3331.jpeg
    IMG_3331.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3332.jpeg
    IMG_3332.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3333.jpeg
    IMG_3333.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3348.jpeg
    IMG_3348.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3349.jpeg
    IMG_3349.jpeg
    489.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3350.jpeg
    IMG_3350.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3351.jpeg
    IMG_3351.jpeg
    532 KB · Views: 83

Sean S.

Supporter
Got the single nostril lined out as well. The main issue with it was they didn’t lay enough glass on it to keep it straight. I ended up putting 4 layers of glass on it to help it hold its shape.

Attachments

• IMG_3335.jpeg
    IMG_3335.jpeg
    478.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3336.jpeg
    IMG_3336.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3352.jpeg
    IMG_3352.jpeg
    725 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3353.jpeg
    IMG_3353.jpeg
    641.3 KB · Views: 81

Sean S.

Supporter
Got everything sanded down and primered so that I can start blocking it. Car is definitely coming together now. I really like how the dual nostril turned out and it should get all the air from the radiator out of the front end.

Attachments

• IMG_3383.jpeg
    IMG_3383.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3385.jpeg
    IMG_3385.jpeg
    737.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3386.jpeg
    IMG_3386.jpeg
    690.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3387.jpeg
    IMG_3387.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3388.jpeg
    IMG_3388.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3389.jpeg
    IMG_3389.jpeg
    530.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3391.jpeg
    IMG_3391.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3392.jpeg
    IMG_3392.jpeg
    521.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3394.jpeg
    IMG_3394.jpeg
    534.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3393.jpeg
    IMG_3393.jpeg
    534.2 KB · Views: 91

Sean S.

Supporter
Very nice work Sean… I had both hood panels for my car as well. I glassed in an aluminum tube to “split” the air between left and right nostrils and to strengthen them.
View attachment 136913
Thanks Randy.

I took a good bit of inspiration from your nostril setup. I really liked how you set it up. I wanted to make mine more rounded like yours, but I didn’t have the room behind the fans to make it work and keep the look I was going for by extending the original openings and keeping the same angles.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I am still trying to figure out how this radiator is going to effectively cool with out being a dual pass design? Now I am questioning my Serck original style radiator and wondering what is it's flow path??

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I am still trying to figure out how this radiator is going to effectively cool with out being a dual pass design? Now I am questioning my Serck original style radiator and wondering what is it's flow path??
So I had a brain fart... My tank is divided at the bottom, flows bottom up due to the baffle in the middle of the bottom tank, then down to the
right side.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Its mostly life getting in the way these days, job has me traveling alot now. Also doesnt help I decided to learn how be a machinist... although I have a very long way to go before I can call myself one.

I plan to build a Cobra next, the wife is really wanting one. Ive been looking at the FFR ones, they seem like they have a nice product. What are your thoughts on that kit?

The wife really wants me to get the Superformance one vs a kit. :oops:
Sean, sorry I neglected to respond. My 2007 Mk3 basket of parts Cobra is not a good reference for FFR build quality. On the forums, I see that the Mk4 is an improvement over the Mk3. FFR cars are easier in some ways, and definitely less expensive. Easier mostly because the body is simple. Less expensive because of the kit cost and the transaxle, exhaust, etc. When built using new parts, they go together nicely. Donor parts save money but cost time and aggravation. Most modifications / upgrades are bolt on rather than fabricated. It is easy to get carried away with these cars. Mine has a 351w/427 with about 500 HP. It could easily be 550 with decent heads and better exhaust. In any case 500 is about 150 more than I will ever use. Hope this helps.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Working on body gaps today. I built up the clamshell with fiberglass then smoothed it out with body filler to make the gap touch the spider. My plan is to sand down the gap to 1/8”, having it built up this way gave me a good surface the whole way around and should only need to take material away now.

I do have a question about door fitment. I’ve got the door where I want it and the gap is 1/8” all the way around it, but the door touches the spider when opening and closing. I’ve heard others had this issue as well. Any suggestions on a fix for this? I’ve already undercut the the bottom of the door where it touches and that helped a lot but still not enough. I don’t want to open that gap up anymore and was thinking that it might be possible to roll that lip on the spider a bit to clear, but not sure how that would look after paint.
Might be too late to help, but Tom's build log shows how he used opposing SS tabs on the spider and door edge that ensures the door tops align with the roof.

Back