The Best Choice- Your opinion and why?

G

Gentleman,

I have been investigating GT-40 replicas for the last year. There are many excellent ones to choose from. I was curious as to what others think the best value for the dollar is.
I plan on a mild street car, mild cam single carb and good driveability (GT40 crate motor). so racing specs are not a requirement. It appears the new CAV with monocoque is a very good value, the car is 100% complete less motor. I have to admit that the time it takes to hunt down all the pieces such as a good transmission, adaptors and the like, is a bit of a turn offNot to mention body prep and paint work. Most of the other kits seem to start off cheaper, but by the time all is said and done, you have at least as much if not more invested. It is a very hard decision when laying out that much cash, but it just seems that saving 10k up front makes little difference when all is said and done.

Its been a very hard judging and working spreadsheets for months, not to mention adding time, but can that be counted if you love to build the car yourself, which seems to play a large factor with the replica market. As I get older I prefer to drive more and work less.

I just would like to hear some opinions on the best bang for the buck award. As I said all are very good cars with many strong points. And decisions like this are hard to make. Let me hear what you think or your research has turned up.

Matt

Matt, it sounds to me like you pretty much made your decision. If you really don't care for the building part then the Cav is a smokin' deal. But if you are partial to building it yourself then the Roaring Forties is a great choice. Also you can have Gordon levy build the turn key GT40 just the way you want it and I believe the price will be very attractive and competitive with CAV.
There are several other kits out there from the UK that are good to. The thing is is you have to pick the company you feel offers the qualities in a kit that you want at a reasonable price. I honestly don't feel one kit is better than another. I see it as more of one kit having more things about it I like. Such as suspension components and or type of seats. Another person may not see it that way. Suspension may not be his interest. One person may prefer a race version while the other wants a touring type GT. Just compare the things that interest you and go with what your wallet will allow.
Any way you go, your a winner, cause you will have a GT40.
grin.gif

G

CAV seems to equal GTD. The GTD is one of the best UK replicas, if not the best. You can have it mild or wild at your choice. I doubt you will be able to get a GTD to the US in built form as it is meant to be CAV supplying that market from what I know. There are a few differences in spec but I asssume that is CAV is taking advantage of the knowledge past on from all the GTD previously built and incorporates the improvements plus their own ideas. From the web site their car looks good.

I am sure Robert at RF will supply you a built car if you ask nicely. If Robert Logan is the same Robert Logan I met when he lived in UK then he is a nice chap. Others also seem to think so.

Cost wise your analysis is about right. If you buy it made at least you should have some come back if there is a problem.

However you might like to know about a rumour I heard.

CAV are converting to only doing the steel monocoque chassis come the new year. They are stopping the space frame chassis. This may mean a cost rise as a monocoque is a more expensive item to make but that is my opinion. Therefore if you want to get a space frame version in do so quickly. What a great Christmas present to yourself! I repeat this is only a rumour so phone them up and check it out.

The steel monocoque may be heavier but is more authentic looking. Not 100% but close. I don't know how its stiffness will compare with the space frame chassis but lets hope that it is at least equal.

Hope this helps.

Malcolm M

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
To Malcolm,
Yes, we have met many years ago at Goodwood and also I bought an exhaust system from you at your new home. I also visited the home in the middle of some round-a-bout I remember.
Your exploits at Brighton are well remembered by me and I would like to say to everyone else who is reading this thread that Malcolm has a very well sorted out car that has done a large number of miles and has competed at the leading edge in GT40's with pride. I have always liked the Gulf cars and Malcolm's car is always well presented. We can all learn something from Malcolm and I for one am glad to listen again to his words.
Good luck and Best Wishes, Robert

G

The cav looks like the car for you, it is complete and all you need is the engine. I would like to know if there are any other gt40s out there that come as complete as this car for the same price. I have built lots of cars myself, and what I found that by the time you complete them they will come in at a price way over the south african cars. About a year ago I was going to build an AC 427 and when I researched it, I bought the superperformance road car with the exhaust under the car. They sent it to me less the engine and trans and their exhaust was a perfect fit. I built a mild fe 390 with aluminium heads, aluminium manifold and aluminium water pump. The car is dark green and looks just like the wolf car.
I am going to buy a gt40 next year and will wait to see the new cav monocouque. The engine will also be the crate motor. I will use it as a road car, and there is no need to build an engine that puts out any more than 300 to 400 hp. My personal choice would be the 302 with a 600 cfm holley, alumium heads aluminum water pump and aluminium intake. The big problem with all these cars is the transmission, I would like to have something close to the original car. Im 65 years of age and have seen a lot of insanity when it comes to engines. I was in the automotive game for over 30 years and my advice to you is to keep it simple, just like the gt40 was 40 years ago. A super 7 is a good example of what simple things will do.
I dont want to offend anybody, but some of the things they want to put on the gt40s and AC 427s makes me believe they should buy a luxury car with all the bells, tilt wheels etc. Remember the above is just my opinion.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Malcom,

I've spoken to you before about GT40s if I'm not mistaken.

True, if you just want a GT40 that is suitable for what a lot of people want to use them for, then you should probably just buy the CAV offering - it is pretty good and offers a lot of bang for the buck. GTD based and from what I've seen they are nice.

However, if there are some things in the CAV offering that do not suit you, or, if you strive for a higher level of performance/modifications/suitability etc. then you may want ot build the car yourself.

In that case I'd highly recommend Roaring Forties, ERA, or Tornado. For the same money you spend on CAV you can produce a car of higher standard (in my opinion).

I've not really seen the situation you describe - people wanting to put lots of options in their GT40s, but have seen that with Cobras. With a few expections, most folks are like me - they want a good road car with reasonable hp (around 400), AC, and that is about it. Some could get by without AC, but they don't live in NC, AZ, and TX. Heck, I refuse to put a radio in mine or self canceling signals as others want, but that is just me. I'm used to 120k+ motorcycling miles and I like just the engine, road, and my thoughts. I like to drive away from folk, not have them along for the ride.

In any event, even if you do not want to build, you should contact the other makers of turnkeys - you may be suprised at the level of performance you can get. All of them will build a turnkey car.

Ron

[ December 08, 2001: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

Back