Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Tom - She's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

So sweet looking - it almost makes my teeth hurt!

very nice Tom, those black striping gives it a finishing look, also very nice are the black surroundings around the head-glazes :thumbsup:

PICT4280.jpg

Not completely sure about the 2 black vent holes on the rear, though better then the alu look on the orange car.
maybe because you now have the nice black striping that brakes the full orange nicely, you can also have those vent-holes in that orange color? wonder how that looks like....I'm not such picture shop guy otherwise I tried it to see how that would look.
but maybe the black looks best, anyway very nice car.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Tom

Really beautiful - I so nearly did my car orange and black - in honour of my "hero" John Love and his Team Gunston Toasted colour scheme from the same period.

Ian

I followed Jason´s idea of using a OEM steering column.

I used a Volkswagen Fox fully adjustable column

It works great, is very rigid and adjustability range is perfect.
PICT4302.jpg

PICT4304.jpg

PICT4305.jpg

PICT4306.jpg

PICT4312.jpg

PICT4310.jpg

I also had a headrest manufactured and the seats modified for using a sixpoint harness.
PICT4315.jpg

PICT4313.jpg

TOM

Awh. 843 h

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
VERY nice work Tom!!!! I like the seat with the hole for the Anti-Submarine strap...

Chuck

Supporter
Excellent !

Those head rests are a more elegant solution than the roll bar padding that I used.

That steering column looks rock solid.

Your attention to detail is amazing.

When do we get a driving report?

Tom,

Your skill and attention to detail is amazing. Huge congratulations on the build so far.

When do we see a video of it on the road? :thumbsup:

Graham.

Finished the installation of my crankcase breather system. I used two CANTON breather cans and AN 12 lines. I have some AN12 bungs welded into the valvecovers with splashguards welded to the inside of the covers.
Cans where installed to either side of the transaxle. On one of the cans i additionaly fitted a AN 6 bung and connected it to the transaxle breating line ( AN 6). The cans where fixed on brackets made out of 1/4" Aluminium stock.
PICT4321.jpg

PICT4320.jpg

PICT4318.jpg

PICT4322.jpg

PICT4325.jpg

everthing clears quite nice
PICT4326.jpg

Also finished the engine and rad ventlines for the cooling system, both are AN3 size and go into the expansion tank. you also can see the feedline to the waterpump connected now.
PICT4323.jpg

PICT4324.jpg

I have finished the installation of all my 6 point harness mounting points
here a pic of the passenger side.
Seats are out to be further modified for shoulder belt openings.
PICT4327.jpg

TOM

AWH: 851 h

Last edited:

Chuck

Supporter
Very nice.

How long did it take to wrap those headers? Looks like a job.

Still waiting on a driving report. Does not look like there is anything standing in the way that a fill up with high octane won't solve. . . . .

Thanks Chuck

Wrapping the headers took one afternoon together with Reinhard. We used up app 2,5 roles(50 feet roles) of the 2" DEI titanium wrap. It is very soft and pliable no need to wet it before application. secured it with stainless steel safety wire.
Of course we had the headers of to do it.
We started at the cylinder head portion of the headers. Next time i would do it the other direction ( starting to wrap at the collectors end), because if gives the better overlapping direction. Overlap was app 1/3rd of width.
You should where long sleeves and thin silicon gloves to do it.

THanks
TOM

Last edited:

Chuck

Supporter
Very nice.

Still waiting on a driving report. Does not look like there is anything standing in the way that a fill up with high octane won't solve. . . . .

Tom:

Thanks for the info re the pipe wrap. Buy you failed to respond to the foregoing inquiry . . . . . . an oversight I am sure. . . . .

Chuck

Supporter
Cans where installed to either side of the transaxle. On one of the cans i additionaly fitted a AN 6 bung and connected it to the transaxle breating line ( AN 6). The cans where fixed on brackets made out of 1/4" Aluminium stock.

AWH: 851 h

Tom:

Question: Any issues venting the tranny and the valve covers to the same tank? Wondering if the changes in crank case pressure / vacuum could have an adverse affect on the transmission vent.

Just wondering. I have no idea . . . .

Tom
I have just finished reading all of your thread, It took me weeks.
My hat is off to you, very informative and inspiring.
Thank you for your input and you time
Woody

Tom:

Question: Any issues venting the tranny and the valve covers to the same tank? Wondering if the changes in crank case pressure / vacuum could have an adverse affect on the transmission vent.

Just wondering. I have no idea . . . .

me neither, but i figure the breather tank opening is big engough to balance this out.
Besides that, a additional tank would have disturbed the symetry and clean look i try to achieve in the engine compartment.

THanks

TOM

Tom:

Thanks for the info re the pipe wrap. Buy you failed to respond to the foregoing inquiry . . . . . . an oversight I am sure. . . . .

There is something in the way now, it s about 1 foot high an cold and white.
Besides that, i still have not yet started wiring the car. Will be starting this weekend.

TOM

Chuck

Supporter
Besides that, i still have not yet started wiring the car. Will be starting this weekend.

TOM

Sort of like the icing on the cake or the whipped cream on the pumpkin pie. You save the best part for last . . . . That will be a good winter project as you gaze out those large bay windows upon the snow covered yard.

many pictures of original cars , show the shoulder belts coming in from the top of the seats, like here on P 1074.
GT40_080505_1.jpg

COnsidering the seating position in GT40 this is a not optimal belt routing for track or race use.
For good positioning of the shoulder belts the belt suppliers recommand a angle of 0° or max -10° declined ( not upwards). To achieve this i welded in an additional bar into my rollcage and modified the seats to be able to rout the belts according to this reco.

P1000134.jpg

Modified seats from rear view
P1000135.jpg

From front
P1000141.jpg

P1000142.jpg

I had to take the spider of again to be able to weld and paint that bar. THe result is a very snug and tight fit of the belts.
TOM

AWH: 860 h

Nice job..

The belt positioning is a personal situation depending upon the size and shape of the driver and the seat position relative to driver comfort.

There is obviously not a one size fits all solution...You are pretty tall and need to recline in the car quite a long way, my two piece aluminum pan seat allows this without problem...but me being a short a*s can sit more upright and the original position of the crossbar works well for me...

Last edited:
Fully agree, and the more upright one sits the less critical the belt routing is.

I inclined my seat pretty much, due to the need for helmet clearance as well.

The spacious RCR footroom allows to do that without running into space issues there.

TOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back