Toms RCR 40 Trackracer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom
I have just finished reading all of your thread, It took me weeks.
My hat is off to you, very informative and inspiring.
Thank you for your input and you time
Woody

I honestly have to brace myself to come here and look at Tom's work. Everything is done so well, I find it really tough to go back into my own garage. <Sigh> Absolutely fantastic stuff here, bravo!

Tom,
In your pics I noticed you ran the shoulder straps over the bar and mounted them to the floor.Two questions. First are they mounted seperately or are they mounted with the seatbelt straps. If so I would think that would be wrong with the advent of a failure. 2nd question, would there be less stretch with them attached to the bar alone?? I would think with that much strapping the stretch might be beyond what would be safe considering the closeness of the rollcage. I have never seen straps that had a bar such as yours mounted that way. Just wondering.

Bill

Bill

Here is a pic of the mounting points.- I have six of them, each specific for each of the 6 belts and each of them located according to SCHROTH´s recommanded belt routing.
PICT4327.jpg

THe belt itself is a FIA approved 6 point belt

33_0_big_z1.jpg

In the pic you can see that for the basic lenght adjustment they have the silver buckles close to the mounting points. THe belt lenght is to adjust to a lenght that the "strap buckles" are located mid of your chest.
Don´t think that stretch is an issue. They are made for rear passenger compartment mount or for GT3´s. THe free lenght behind the seat back( and thus the total belt length is even longer in that cars.

TOM

Hallo Tom,
lange nichts von deinem ''Wunderwerk'' mehr gehoert und gesehen
wie kommst du voran
Beste Gruese

Dear Jean Paul

I´m in the middle of wiring, will have it finished end of February. First start will follow in March and than the car will be on the road in April.
Mechaniclywise everything is finished. Just need to align the suspension and retorque everything. A set of 17" BBS racing wheels is on order to be used with Nitto NT01 semisslicks on trackevents.
I´m also currently designing and building a carbonfiber raceseat to fit in GT40´s.
I do have tons´of pics of the wiring process, but will wait with a post until i can show it all in one post.

Thanks
TOM

Chuck

Supporter
Nice work, Tom, as usual.

Will the shoulder straps loop over the cross member on the roll bar?

Separate attachment points for the belts is nice. The stock seats fit really tight so the lap belt connections could be an issue in that location. But with custom made seats I suspect you have already factored that in to the equation.

Anxious to see your wiring. That is the fun part of the build!

Nice work, Tom, as usual.

Will the shoulder straps loop over the cross member on the roll bar?

Separate attachment points for the belts is nice. The stock seats fit really tight so the lap belt connections could be an issue in that location. But with custom made seats I suspect you have already factored that in to the equation.

HI Chuck;

The shoulder belts are not anymore mounted to the bolts. They are now looped and strapped over the crossbar only. The "loop buckle" fits nicely into the opening i did put into the seats for the shoulder belts.
P1000142.jpg

Mounting the lap belts is tight, but doable even with the stock RCR seats.
Once installed the fit is perfect and i can strap myself in like bolted.

The race seats will have a total width ( outside of about 410mm, this leaves about 20mm on each side to fit the seatbelts in). Inside with will be 380mm. They will be uphostered with very thin but dense close cell foam ( 5mm on the side and 10mm on the seat surface) and will be covered with black Alcantara. Still thinking about emulating the original brass rivets with a gold or red colored stitching. Don´t know for shure if I should do it or just leave them plain racy black.

TOM

Chuck

Supporter
Very nice Tom. I knew you would have addressed the issues.

Given the color of exterior, I would opt for black seats without the red stitching. Just my two cents worth.

Base on what you have done I am going to look at relocating the lap belt connections. Connecting them to the aft connection point makes adjustment difficult. Moving the attachment forward as you have done is a good idea.

Can't wait to see your wiring!

Chuck,
You need to make sure your harness is mounted correctly. Schroth has a complete outline for proper mounting of belts and placement of the anchors. Improper placement can cost you dearly.
http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Competition_Instructions.pdf

They have an update of their harness to the new SCCA requirements that change some of the traditional thinking about harnesses. One change I like is their new standard for 2" lap belts in FIA harnesses.
http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/SCCARuleChange2InchLap.pdf

The thinking is that a 3" belt rest on or extends over the top of the Illiac crest(your hip bone) and can ride up over the crest and into the abdominal area which can cause internal injuries. The 2" supposedly stays below the crest and won't ride up. But I guess if you have the belts tight enough, and is anchored correctly, then they shouldn't ride up.
This brings up a question that I haven't understood about FIA requirements that maybe some of you can enlighten me on. Some manufacturers have pull up lap belts(which is what I prefer) that are SFI approved. The same lap belt with pull down strap adjustments are FIA approved. Can someone explain the rationale for this??

Bill

After a lot of late nighters over the last weeks i have finished my wiring and a lot of other small things.
This saturday i started up the engine for the first time and took the car for his first 20 km.
After preoiling the engine fired right away. Timing was a little late. The header wrap and the muffler filling flinged out a lot of small glassfiber parts.

I had the suspension just roughly dialed in fir the first drive. CLutch and shifting works great, revved it up to 6000 from 1st to 4th, went through it like nothing. water temp stayed at 195 °F and oiltemp at 220°F. The expansion tank and air bledding concept worked great, almost had nothing to refill. In idle the fuel pump is becoming loud, but as soon you rev the engine over 2000 it is pretty silent.

YouTube - First Start Toms RCR40

The routing of my ignition wire is not working this way, i will need to make new ones. Also this silicon plug boots are a POS to put on, you have no feeling if they are one ore not. I plan to replace them with this phenol boots.
7f77495742.jpg

THe have a 5Kohm resistence for noise supression . Anyone know if this will be an issue with the MDS AL6L ?
Or any other recommandation for good plug boots.

Over all a great successfull day

Thanks

TOM

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Just fabulous Tom! :thumbsup:

Beautiful spring day and a great sounding engine... Your work on that muffler was really good and it sounds quite nice!

The header tape puts off a lot of fumes during the first full heat cycle that burns the eyes...

Good thing that you were outside with a lot of fresh air...

Urs

Supporter
Hallo Tom!

Gratuliere dir zu diesem weiteren grossen Schritt.

Hammer Sound !! ;)

Ich hoffe wir hören unsern Motor auch laufen ende dieses Jahres.

Gruess aus der Schweiz.

Urs

Hi Tom,
Well done - great to see and hear!
The pickup on your engine appears to be very 'snappy'.
Would be great if you could post some driving footage at some point.

Simon.

Way to go Tom!! our car looks and sounds AMAZING!!!
I love everything about it!

Oh,and BTW... nice Crocks! lol ;)

Thanks RON

as your ex RCR is still one of my alltime favorites ( still the replica with the best stance on 15´s)

What happened to the car ? is the new owner happy with it ?

BTW i did swap the crocks for the driving shoes:thumbsup:

TOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back