Weight Weenies - Choices

Following on from Dave B's thread on the Alloy heads. I thought it would be fun to see with our combined knowledge to create a Bill of Material that would go to creating the car with the lightest weight in mind, but still keeping the comonets right for the job i.e no sticking in a 4 cylinder Fiesta engine... Simle rules post the part and its weight. I'll collate and every now and then post a summary of the leaders :)

I have an alloy 8.2 SBF with lightweight crank going together at the moment.
I'll try to get a total weight for the bare engine if that helps, or would you rather just list separated component weights (might not be able to help in that case).

Tim.

Sure, I've heard that before - just before I got my face slapped...
;)

Ok, I figured the block and crank at least might be interesting. I'll see what I can do

Tim.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Ok Brett,
I guess that means a CF chassis for a start. Has Andy posted a weight yet?
What about the body, anybody offering that in CF or am I going too far?
No A/C you guys in hot climates will just have to suffer man!
Alloy Rad, uprights.
No servos.
It might take a while to get weights from people, but I'm sure you will get there eventually.

Dave

UNI gearbox with the alloy bellhousing is 53kgs and with the Lotus Esprit v8 ferrous bellhousing it's 59kgs.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Our Monocoques are the lightest available with the Aluminium Monocoque at 115 lbs and Carbon Monocoque at 85lbs.
Our GRP bodies are the lightest out there Carbon or not and weigh 150 lbs.

Thanks

Andy

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Mick

I can not remember the exact individual figures but it was about the same as your Carbon rear which was what reminded me to weigh a complete bodyshell one day.

The weights were taken with no holes for lights and vents etc cut out so you can deduct a little more for that from the 150.

As we have been laminating these bodies for 21 years now, we have gradually evolved new techniques to get the best weight, strength and composite structure.

Thanks

Andy

Glenn M

Supporter
That weight for the Southern GT Carbon Fibre rear clip is an on the car weight, i.e. painted with glass all lights and rear spoiler etc.

Glenn

Attachments

• DSC03783.JPG
    DSC03783.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 212
Guys - let s get back on thread. Weight your stuff and post the weight. Please lets not make it a one-upmanship contest.

If you want to add more detail such as material and cost, then I think that is valuable.

I tried to start this thread out of interest to try and create a BOM so people could make choice if they want. Quantative, not qualitative chaps.

Finally have some numbers :-

Ford motorsport 8.2 alloy block - 46kg,
Auscrank lightweight etc crank - 20kg,
AFR heads (pair) - 27kg,
My flywheel, pulleys and balancer - 23kg,
Pistons and rods (Oliver) - 10kg,

Weight of stuff in boxes :-
Rocker gear +
Valve gear +
Cam +
All bolts - 19kg

Forgot to weigh Manifold/throttle bodies etc. Will post when I next get a chance to weigh them.

Tim.

Last edited:
Back