US Customs

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
My car is sitting on the dock as my broker has indicated that customs is treating it as a complete car w/o engine/trans. It is a body and chassis. It was brought in under customs tariff reference number(HTS) / chassis importation : 8707100020. The paperwork has been referred to the DOT.

Anyone have precedence to speed this up or experience with this? Email me if you prefer...

Ron Earp

Admin
Neal,

what broker did you use? Can you change now?

You may need a new one, I don't have access to the contact info here at work but you need one experienced with car importation.

Otherwise, I would think this has the potential to turn into a mess.

Ron

Someone needs to reread the definition of a complete car. Last I saw was that if it didn't have an engine and trans, it is not a considered a car but car parts. Bring another broker in on this as Ron suggested.

Ron Earp

Admin
Neal, I sent this email to Bill sometime ago. Try it:

-----
Hi Bill,

Gibson Freight brought the car over, this is the same group that does the F1 teams (some of them). Some deal thought RF, so I don't know much about that. This was in April of 2001.

As for the importer I'd use a group at the following numbers:

Phone - 310-671-7990
Fax - 310-671-4650

John Clark is his name, he has brought in 4 RF cars and numerous other such things. You should have a 2.5% tax NO MORE. They are at LAX.

What are you bringing in?

Ron
----

John might be able to help, I had no problems and neither did others - with kits and turnkey minuses both.

Bob Lacey might be able to help you too, I know he reads and posts here every now and then. CAV has had to have solved this problem, same with Superformance.

Ron

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys. I used AEI/Danzas and we are working the issue. I expect it's just an mis-interpretation of the rules. Looks like a little education is in order!
rolleyes.gif
I'll keep you posted.

Between US Customs, NHTSA, EPA, DOT I'm all governed out! I might have to put on the old ninja suit and haul that container out of there.
wink.gif

As recommended by Robert Logon At RF I used Gibson to move the car and John Clarke to get it into my hands. They did a fine job. Lost the car though, well kind of John thought it was in LA then I found out it had already been shipped to me in AZ and went though customs there. John was waiting to get it to clear in LA and well... I have the car and it's just wonderful.
John

Neal,

I had my car shipped into the U.S. as a
race car. Customs and DOT never batted
an eye, as they assumed the car would
never hit the street. The Customs/DOT
form has a specific category for cars
that will not be used on the road.
Needless to say, my GT40 is now tagged for the street, and I drive it at every
opportunity.
I'm not sure if you can change classifications at this point, but it would be worth a try if the chassis method fails.
Best of luck!

Bill

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Ah, the power of the internet... After discussing the issue with my broker I found several ruling letters relating to the subject on the NHTSA/DOT web site. He presented them to the agent and voila...
Looks like it will clear today. Hopefully I'll have it in the garage the weekend.

Point of Order!!!!!
Just got off the phone with Bill Murphy at Sea Expo. He (and others) are working up prices for me to bring in the car I purchased from Australia. He informs me that the car (parts) have to be classified one of about 14 ways, and they depend on how EPA DOT classify the car.
Ex. Is the car over/under 20years old (EPA)?
Is the car over/under 25 years of age (DOT)?
Is the car a race car (Bill Bayard)?
Is the car going to be in the country for less than 1 yr?
Will the car be restricted to 2500 miles per year? Subject to inspection any time they want, resulting in fines etc.
According to him, the "Parts" must be parts, and a car, even if not complete, a car.
Neal I would like to see/get the documentation that you used to free up your car. E-mail me or better post it on the forum for others in your situation. In an e-mail from Fran Hall he shipped his car back from England and had a lot of other things in the shipment. He didn't say if he shipped it as a race car I think.
When I talked to Mr. Clark at Gibson (LAX), he wondered why I wouldn't use a broker on the East coast as I would be bringing mine to Savannah. As it is, the waters are very murky on this importing stuff. Ron, Fran, Robert Peter,others, could you spell out (in detail)how you shipped your cars, and got through this mine field. I would like for my car not to be tied up when it arrives. I appreciate each of you for the help you have already given, but I'm still a little confused.
rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif
confused.gif

Thanks
Bill

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Here is a bit of light reading regarding importation of complete cars and kit related info. Click on the links...

US Customs - Importing a car

NHTSA Import Regulations

EPA Kit Car Policy

NHTSA Document Search - Make sure you check all the Interp Document options. Search for Kit Car and homebuilt.

Incidently, there are some interesting interps ranging from bringing in Landrovers to Brumos Porsche asking to bring in 962 chassis and motors!

The bottom line is there is provision for bringing in kits. Complete cars, that's another matter...

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: Neal ]

Bill,
My car came in with the engine and trans removed and was listed as a 1967 race car and spares,flew through the paperwork side of customs with no problems,Bill Murphy told me that the actual year of manufacture was not important as he was listing it as a 1967 race car,enogh said and no problems.Keep in mind that this was only three weeks ago so my experiences are very fresh,total for shipping a 40 foot container from England with shipping to my door from New Jersey to Michigan and all the paperwork was nearly $5000,not cheap but no problems,
Good luck

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: Fran Hall ]

G

Neal, you should invoice him for the time you spent making his life easier :)

Back