Dash Template

Hi folks, below is an guide image and a pdf file of a rough dash template that I made for my own mulling of positions of switches etc. I will upgrade it as I do my switches, warning lights, etc as bits that can be cut and pasted. It is only mildly accurate and therefore please do not use it as a cutting guide...

By next week I will have done some art for a local engraving company to do my labeling. If there is interest I will post the art here.

The line for the centre of the switches I have put on the drawing is based on the fact that the Lucas switches I am using are about 1 1/2" in the body and I wanted a little space before the dash rolls back and would interfere with them...

If printing it out on A4 or US legal it should be printed at 100% (if you want it SS, over a number of sheets if you don't have a big printer). And if you want it just for mulling... print at 'fit to page'.

I hope folks find it useful. Alan

Attachments

• dash-layout.jpg
    dash-layout.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 732
  • dash_layout01.pdf
    602.3 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Part 2...

below are the preview of the first set of switches/warning lights and a pdf actual size at 150dpi. These are based on what I'm using, but if anybody would like to offer up accurate measurements and a picture of original or alternative fittings I will try to make up artwork so these can be used by all.

I will add labels in a couple of styles shortly.

Quick suggestion- One could perhaps print the fittings on the fridge magnet material that is available from PCworld etc, then cut them out and move around on top of the template affixed to some large beer chilling device until the required arrangement is found/cows come home/fat lady sings...

Attachments

• switches_lights.jpg
    switches_lights.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 447
  • switches_lights.pdf
    634.8 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
I have sent off my designs to a local engraver and been told a ballpark figure of about £4 each (white lettering on black). Below is my layout. If anybody is interested I will put up blank for others to fill out to their heart's content...

Attachments

• gt40-dash-labels.jpg
    gt40-dash-labels.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 557

Chuck

Supporter
Very nice.

On what type of material will the switch labels be printed?

You plan to install a windshield washer on your GT? That is a detail rarely seen in reproductions.

Could you post the labels in a .pdf format?

Thanks

Chuck

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
GREAT Work Alan! Thank you from the GT40s community!

So here are a preview and a pdf of a labeling blank. I have taken the measurements off so add your own as I am not sure how mine will work out (Tuesday will reveal the truth). Hopefully the printed sheet could be sent off to your merrier local engraver and they will be able to make sense of it. From the information I have gathered most engravers have their own software for the layout of the type and can very easily put words on a curve.

My own instructions were to use upper case letters in a plain font, keeping everything the same size apart from L and R when placed on either side of the ring to indicate Left/Right. This I asked for in a larger letter size. And engraved on black material to reveal white lettering. The other options seem to be engraved in reverse on clear plastic which has a black coating and then the letters are filled in white. This means the letters are protected but the appearance is very shiny. Or... on metal. This last option was 5 times the price so I left it...

Hope the files are useful. Cheers Al

p.s. Chuck... yup washer. Found an Aston single base double jet.

Attachments

• dash_label_blank.jpg
    dash_label_blank.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 358
  • dash_label_blank.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 275
Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I feel the answer to that would be Yes Alan.. I know I was trying to figure out if I could just flip the image to do it..

A quick flip and here be the left-handed version. See above for vague instructions... Cheers al

so below are a preview and the pdf

Attachments

• lefthand_dash_template.jpg
    lefthand_dash_template.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 311
  • lefthand_dash_template.pdf
    826.9 KB · Views: 341
My labeling has arrived and fits around the various switches and bits very well. I would say I think I would check on the material thickness that the engravers are going to use as it may get a bit tricky to bolt through the total 'sandwich' given the length of the switch shafts, etc. Anyway I am pleased and hope to get it all finally in place this weekend so we can cover and paint the dash and get it in. cheers alan

Attachments

• labels.jpg
    labels.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 417
Back