The quest for the Championship- Part 1

Many people watched the movie Apollo 13 even though they already knew the denouement. They enjoyed the movie because it was a pretty good story. And so, most people now know that the Superlite Coupe won the 2011 NASA Super Unlimited National Championship with Ryan Ellis at the wheel on Saturday, 9/10/11. But there is more to that than just the dry recitation of facts.

Well, maybe the facts aren’t so dry after all; consider some of them:

In all the races the SLC has entered this year, it sat on the pole 11 times – every time the car got to qualify, it sat on pole.

Ryan drove the car to a first place finish in every race it finished (some of the early races were marred by various new-car problems like plumbing, electrical and engine issues).

The car only ran two short test sessions and 4 race weekends - including the National Championships weekend- yet still managed to completely dominate the field in every race it entered, including most importantly, the National Championship race. We had our share of new-car teething issues, but it is very unusual for a new car to be so fast right out of the box. It’s almost unheard of for a new car to have both the pace and the reliability to win the National Championship.

The Superlite Coupe went to two tracks this year in NASA, and shattered the lap records at both tracks. How often does a new car unload from the trailer and go immediately to breaking lap records at every track it sees? We still hold these records, incidentally.

The SLC was fast in all conditions, usually taking the weekends fastest lap time in the dry, but was equally fast in the rain. On Thursday, Ryan drove the SLC in the rain to a pole position for that days qualifying race that was 6 seconds faster than the rest of the field, and took the fastest lap time of the day, across all classes, including a TTR Radical and even the open wheel Formula Mazdas. In a series where qualifying can be won or lost by tenths-- or less-- this was massive, and a portent of what might be to come. The car was so good in the rain that Ryan asked everyone to do a little rain dance for the Championship race. For those who understand the dynamics of fast, high-powered mid-engined cars, this is surprising, and more than a little unusual, and speaks volumes about the confidence Ryan has in the handling ability of the SLC in wet and dry conditions. The takeaway is that the SLC is benign at the limit in all conditions, which is essential to fully exploit the potential of the car.

The Superlite Coupe didn’t achieve the records it has by just throwing a big HP number on the wall. In fact, we gave up several hundred horsepower to some of our competitors, and won instead on superb driving, and a car with unmatched handling. Ryan was able to put the car anywhere on the track he needed to, which is especially important when working traffic. This year we competed against Porsches with 700+ HP, a 1200 HP Mustang, several stockcars with ex-NASCAR SB2 engines with around 800 HP, and a Lister-Corvette with a reputed 850 HP. We ran the SLC with 525 HP to the wheels, which was around 600 HP at the crank. Next year Fran promises to find more power, which should bring us to parity with more of the rest of the field.

The Superlite Coupe didn’t arise from a modern factory in Zuffenhausen surrounded by hundreds of man-years of race car design and development resources, or in some hallowed ground in Maranello that has spawned decades of successful race cars, or even from a company devoted to making pure racing cars, but from a small shop just outside of Detroit led by a person with a vision to produce insanely great cars that are actually attainable, and a few craftsman that helped to achieve it. The significance of this is hard to overstate: the SLC, in its first months of racing, conquered very mature race cars from Porsche, Ferrari and others that had massively more time and resources devoted to their development. It’s a classic David and Goliath story, with a local Detroit twist.

The factory-built SLC that won the National Championship race so convincingly (it had lapped almost the entire Super Unlimited field, some of them a couple of times) shares almost everything with the standard SLC kit that anyone can buy. And the race-specific parts are readily available, and on the shelf, for those customers who want to buy a clone of the 01 car. This is in distinct contrast to some other manufacturers that don’t actually race what they sell, despite appearances.

But there is more than just the Joe Friday (“Just the facts, Ma’am”) version of the story.

A championship in any racing series is more than just hardware. It always revolves around the people, and how they coalesce into a team, and how that team works to secure the desired result.

That story will be the subject of the next post!

Well written and descriptive post of the Team's trials and successes this season.
All thanks to a dedicated crew and mature driver, coupled with that jewel of a race car. Inspiring!

For those of us who knew the potential the SL-C had versus all other platforms before a car had even turned a lap in anger, I'm sure I can speak for the rest when I say:

I told you so :D

For those of us who knew the potential the SL-C had versus all other platforms before a car had even turned a lap in anger, I'm sure I can speak for the rest when I say:

I told you so :D

It sold me at first glance! Ironically, my initial thought was a 20B/G50 set-up, but went with the LS 'cause I had one.

Thanks for the write up Will.

Ryan performed flawlessly this season and was a great ambassador for Superlite cars...we have already commited to keep the team intact for 2012..so much more to come ..

I want to say a big thanks to everyone in the team that not only built the car at RCR but all those involved with the continued running of it at the track ...We have all had a great time and made some new friends along the way ..

I am very proud of what we have achieved so far, especially against the level of competition we have faced....

I am already planning the next phase of go fast..(or faster) goodies for next season..

Dan, Toby,Will, Mike, Mark, Alex, Jim and Ryan Ellis, Vicki at RCR and all the guys that dropped by to say hello during our race weekends...also a thanks to the Superlite supporters and customers on this forum...the kind words and support also give us a great boost while building and racing the Green machine

Thanks to our sponsors The Driveshaft shop and ISIS wiring...

Also thanks to SL-C owners Allan and Dan for bringing along their cars this last weekend to display and show off their pride and joy...(no pics from me..sorry, I.was a little too busy...others have some)..

It has been quite a season but its not over yet as we have a 13 Hour Endurance race at VIR in a few weeks....a whole new set of challlenges face us there...

Last edited:
Well done Fran! Congrats.. Not to diminish the rest of the team, but you had the intestinal fortitude and confidence to stick it out there.

Thanks Jack....
yes it could have been a bad call and all gone pear shaped but I wanted to show to many potential customers ,what we already know, , and I think we have certainly done that with our first step up the ladder...

Well done Fran! Congrats.. Not to diminish the rest of the team, but you had the intestinal fortitude and confidence to stick it out there.

Well said Jack. Congrats again to everyone involved with the program.

Fran is a Pitbull (Statfordshire Terrier in his case) moving 100 miles an hour towards his goals.

Taking the checkered flag for the win

IMGP1463.jpg

Fran:

Amazing. Your car & team are up against cars & teams that ante killing themselves to win with proven cars & engines, and you just SMOKE them. Really well done. You must be pumped.

The three SL-C show the variations ...
it was great to have all of them side by side ...there was always a crowd around them...

Green ............full race car
Silver..............track car
Blue............... street trimmed car...

Back