Rear view Camera

Hello, anyone install a rear view camera in to there SL-C ?
I am looking for a continuous use style. with a viewing screen built into a deck or mounted out of the way.
Thanks in advance.

Funny that you post this as I have been on the hunt for quite a while now.

I've looked at several complete units, but each seem to have issues. My idea thus far is to find a 6" HD GPS monitor with a AV-in. I'll add to this a 65 degree waterproof camera.

I've found a suitable camera Waterproof mini Camera, China Waterproof mini Camera, Waterproof mini Camera manufacturer, CW-076, but am still on the hunt for a monitor. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Check out the unit this guy has installed in his Lotus. See posts #2 and #33 in this thread: Full time rear view camera?? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

I've contacted the guy, but he's in Hong Kong. The link above is to the camera he uses, but I have no leads on the GPS unit as it's a "knock-off" Chinese unit.

When I visited RCR, there was a car with one of those in it (I believe it's a Pyle). The issue I have with it is its sheer size. Here's a photo of it next to my 8.5x11 notebook.

Attachments

• IMG_4094.jpg
    IMG_4094.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 502
You guys may have open up some good info. 6-12 mos. ago there weren't any of these good quality monitors or cameras available at a decent price. I have already installed a complete system on my 40. BUT I will probably be changing to the higher resolution stuff. A few points. Use the CCd rather than the CMOS. Higher resolution. Don't use anything over 90º FOV. It distorts the image like the side mirrors on modern cars(Object appears closer than it is). The monitors that are usually sold with these cameras don't give a very good image either. So I will be looking for the better units. Stick with the bigger monitors(7") with a 4:3 resolution. It gives a truer image without stretchingHere is how I did it though for suggestions.
I used the bigger rectangular rear view camera for the central view. This camera needs to be mounted as high as you can get so you can see what is behind you, not the guys bumper. It has a base to mount it to the car. This one will probably be changed out for one with more IR lights for a more distant viewing at night.
P1010074-1.jpg

I will be making a reversed scoop or NACA duct to house it in. My side mirrors are RX-7 mirrors. I chose them originally because they were electric. The mirrors came from a bone yard and when tested out months later, never worked. What they did provide was a base for the cameras to be mounted on. On a 40, the side mirrors are somewhat blocked by the rear wheel humps(flares), so vision is not good from them either. The problem with these cameras was that you couldn't get the camera near the outside edge of the mirror. The camera housing vs. the mirror housing.
P4190190-2.jpg

P4190191-1.jpg

So the ball camera was removed and a new mount was made just for them.

P1010100.jpg

This mount was bonded to a lexan lens, and the lens joined to the framework by two screws that were used to give the final angle. The lexan was drilled so that the lens fit snug into it and was directed to the side of the mirror. This stabilized the camera. The lens was bonded to the back of a mirror made to fit the housing, with a section of the mirror removed(scraped) out for viewing. The original mirror had a metal housing on its back side. As you can see it is not that noticeable.
P1010095-2.jpg

These cameras are 120-170º so they are distorted, but gives you a view to the side of the flares. The way I set them up is the trick to using the distortion to your advantage. As a car comes up behind me, and starts to overtake me on either side, as it leaves the FOV of the center camera it enters the side camera. At this point it tells me I can not change to that lane(an important point at night). As it leaves the FOV of the side camera, the front edge of the car is at the rear of my door.
Here is the monitor that came with my cameras. As you can maybe see it is a little dark and not the best quality.
P1010057-2.jpg

I liked the multi view(4 image) monitors with the touch screen. I am thinking of adding a true tag mount camera with a wide angle FOV(180º) that will be good for just backing up. Cameras mounted that low will be virtually useless for anything else and it takes up the 4th slot in the monitor.

Bill

Ken: I also looked at the Magellans, but at 19x10cm, it's too big for my taste. I really like the Garmin 3400 series because they are extremely thin, have great resolution, and come in several screen sizes. However, they don't have a AV-IN so they are useless to me.

Bill: Thanks a bunch for the ideas and photos! As I understand it, IR is only good for about 5m. If you mount the camera on the roof line, I would imagine that 2m of the 5 is eaten up in just covering the rear clam.

Interesting Troy, but in-dash mounting seems a bit problematic for me. Mainly in that technology changes in the blink of an eye, and if the unit goes bad, I've got to deal with a hole in the dash.

Maybe I should start by listing features I would like in a video monitor (and I think the best/cheapest option at this time is a GPS unit)?

HD 800x480
Stand-alone unit
Touch screen in 12.5 or 15.5cm (5" or 6"). The thinner the better.
I don't care about GPS maps, t.v., MP3, etc.
AV-IN
Split-screen for up to 4 views, but single-view would be acceptable.

For the camera:
Color
65 degree view
IR not necessary
The smaller the better
High resolution
No fisheye view
Unsure about wireless as I'm concerned about interference.

There are a million Chinese made GPS units that are well under $100. The real issue is whether or not they will last more than a couple of weeks. Another concern is ordering them from the typical web sites. The top 2 sites seem to be a crap shoot in either receiving the product at all, or getting what you actually ordered. Recourse could be tough at best.

We've been wrestling with this a bit as well. Just remember that units with a mechanized chassis won't fit on the SL-C dash. That probably includes most cd/dvd gps units. Really only flat panels can go there. I've found an installer here locally that separates the mechanics and/or processor from the display of mechanized units, which opens up some options. However, at the moment we are leaning towards a dedicated display for rear view and separate screen for audio control.

My only issue with that is the mechanized units are rather expensive (Looking at JVC, Pioneer, Sony, et al). The cost only goes up from there once you add in modifications, mounting, and a camera.

Looks like I might become the test monkey, and I'm happy to do so if it results in a workable solution for everyone!

Back