16" Tires

Ron Earp

Admin
What is the opinion, what are the best 16" tires available for a 40 on the market? What are folks using? Pros and cons?

I've got my wheels ready and wish to go ahead and mount tires on them and get them out of the way. Thanks,

Ron

Ron,
I have Yokohama A032's. They have a good rating and when they are gone I can pick new ones up at Discount Tire. Easy enough. I can't imagine they will have a long road life though. They are super sticky. I have been using them to hang pictures up in the garage, just pick off a chunk slap it on the wall and away you go. Then again the 115 degree days probably have something to do with it too.
John

RON,
YOU BETTER FIND SOME KINDA TIRES FOR THAT THING, CAUSE BY THE TIME I LEAVE IT WILL BE ON ITS SUSPENSION.
I have dunlop sport 8000 on the Cobra and I
have road raced with them. I really like the way they work. Once they are warmed up they stick incredibly well for a street and trak tire. The yokohamas on the GT40 look to be exellent tire but I haven't put enough mileage on them to say how well they really are.

Hersh
smile.gif

Hi

I found it difficult to fit 15" replica halibrand rims with wilwood calipers and large discs without spacers. Do you guys have a suggestion for "look-a-like" or knock-off rims with reasonable costs?

Ron Earp

Admin
Roaring Forties (and others I think) haev 16" knock off Halibrands and BRMs. I hae 16" Halibrands from RF and they're looking good. Having them ceramic coated and will get them back tomorrow. I'll put some pics.

Hershal, that's why I'm getting tires!! I have the front suspension on already and am completing the coating work on the panels around the entire front of the car (not bare, I'm coating them black, ceramic on some, powder on others). All of them are drilled, just have to coat.

We'll have a good time and get lots done, that is for sure. I'm working on the dates with Julie now, discussion this week.

Ron

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

G

Ron, I like Toyos my self but Grover McNair at McNair Performance talked me into trying a set of Yokohamas. He said that they had all of the features I like about Toyos and he thought they were a little more consistent.

Ron I am running Falken tyres on my RF, they are probably not as sticky as the Yokohamas but are far quieter and do not pick up absolutly everything they run over and hurl it up under the guards. The wear with the yokohamas is also very high. My next door neighbor has them on his RF and his are getting marginal at 4000kms with no track time whereas mine are at 10000kms with about 40% wear and a fair bit of track time. It really comes down to what you want your tires for. For a mix of road and track I would stick with the Falkens as they are more user friendly but for a lot of track work I would settle for the Yokohamas,and cop the wear factor. Regards

PS Engineering can make you 17" halibrand style wheels with any width and offset you want. He does good work. I have a set of his 17" with 315 rear and 275 front on my Cobra.

G

If Norman's predictions about the Yokohamas holds up, it sounds like I will be putting on a set of Toyo Z rated tires very soon. I now have a set of V rated Toyos on my Stealth which I bought for a little more mileage, BUT they don't even compare with stickiness. The set of Zs I had prior to the Vs wore out in the center because I ran the pressure to high in them. The Zs have very good adhesion and, I swear, Toyos seem to stick better in the wet than they do in the dry.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gregg:
Gary, who's tire are you running on your cobra and would you buy them again? Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have BFG Comp T/A ZR now. The car is not quite ready for the road yet although close. I bought them several years ago and was trying to find tire tests, etc. Very hard to find. I would guess they are not the best thing out there now. I now have Bridgestone Potenza RE 730's on my street driven Mustang and am pleased with their performance wet and dry. I would buy them again. We will see when I get the Cobra finished. I suspect I will buy another set of PS Engineering Wheels for track only tires.

Back