2nd Failure on an Accel DFI Dizzy

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
My distributor circuit board has been replaced once under warrantee and it just went kaput again in relatively short order (less than 5,000 miles).

Rather than return for repair any suggestions on another brand that's reliable. I would like to find a direct replacement for an Accel Dual Sync Distributor #77207.

Tim

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Does MSD make anything comparable? I have had good luck with them- one failure of an MSD 6AL box, replaced instantly with no difficulty. And never with a distributor.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Tim,

Sorry to hear of the second failure. :(
You may want to look deeper into the potential causes.
I had nuked 3 Mallory Uni-lite modules in one of my cars. As it turned out, it was because of the way I had wired my electric fans. Apparently the fans needed to be on a relay or shut off first before the engine was shut down. The fans will act as unregulated generators and dump huge voltage out onto the positive buss which would then cause the engine to actually run on a bit after power from the battery was cut. Once I modified this in my wiring harness, there were no more failures.

Food for thought and I am certain that there are a number of electrical engineer types here that can explain it far better than I..

interesting, i had a accel gen 7 setup with the dual sync dist., and when i removed it after much frustration there was a couple pieces loose inside the distributor, sent it back and they repaired, not under warranty though.

you could always run batch fire without the dual sync, i consulted with an efi 'guru', and he said the seq. fire was more for low rpm mpg., lot of the stuff if i understand correctly changes to batch fire at higher rpm anyway.

anyway, i have a complete dfi gen 7 setup i'll give you, though the unused dual sync dist. might cost a bit more than you're used to...

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Mark, thanks a million for your generous offer to get me going but I went ahead and ordered another Accel through Summit that will get to me by Saturday. I guess my patience is running a bit thin this time of year!

.....it was because of the way I had wired my electric fans.....
Randy, funny you mentioned this. Now on my second dizzy failure I'm beginning to wonder that something other than the dizzy is at fault here. My fans do behave peculiar. While driving at freeway speeds I notice the fan light comes on dimly even though the switch is off. I believe they are rotating simply from air flow by them and in doing so they are "generating". Also, the fans can be manually switched on to continue to run even when the ignition is turned off, although I've never had the engine "run on" as you describe. They may be doing something similar as what yours were doing. Thanks for the diagnosis, I'll be looking into this.

Tim

I think have posted about that specific topic in the electric section.

Althoug i have wired my Fans and other "generating units" (like the magnetic solenoid valve of the ACCUSUMP) via relais i experienced high voltage peaks in my system when shutting down this units.

Solution to that is to use relais with a integrated "kill diode" which runs the backfiring current in an internal loop against ground and such avoiding a feedback into the system. It´s just a simple plug out plug in replacement action and solved all my issues.

I did replace every relais in the car by such modified relais

here is my other post

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tec...34032-accusump-epc-valve-induction-issue.html

TOM

Back