302 AU Falcon Engine

I recently brought an AU falcon 302 from a wreckers and was wondering if any other aussies have used this engine in there GT40. My main question is how to mount the accessory drive at the front of the engine. The alternator and AC compressor that came with the car has mount that are 90 degrees to the bolting position in the heads.

Has anyone modified one of these and if so how did you do it?

Attachments

• gt40 055-1.jpg
    gt40 055-1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 295
  • gt40 062.jpg
    gt40 062.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 250

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
That alternator appears to be what would come on the 4.6-5.4l v8s.. It bolts straight down between the cylinder heads in the front of the intake valley.. Adjustment comes via an idler pulley.
It's a 4G unit (which are rather large) and not a very clean one at that..

In the interest of saving space and complexity - I would advise that you look into any of the 1-wire alternators out there. I bought a new "Chrome" Delphi 130 amp single wire unit on eBay for $75 US. It's about 2/3 the size of the 4G you have there.

Check my build site (link below) for pictures and the bracket I made for it..

You could also try DRB - they may front brackets and pulleys to suit injected Windsors, though I'm not sure about the AU motors. I used an ED falc motor in my GT40 and made my own alternator bracket, but am not running water pump or a/c, so was a lot simpler than what you want to do no doubt.

Back