302 Rotating Assembly Balancing Question

I am hoping someone can help with their experience please. I am building a '68 302 28oz engine. I am mating it to a UN1 gearbox and have the small (Essex type) flywheel to suit (together with AP/Cosworth clutch etc).

The flywheel has no counterweight. My harmonic balancer is the 28oz one. Am I right with this flywheel? Will the machine shop be able to balance the assembly up OK? Do I keep the damper as is?

Thanks in anticipation

Chris

Ed McClements

Supporter
I am hoping someone can help with their experience please. I am building a '68 302 28oz engine. I am mating it to a UN1 gearbox and have the small (Essex type) flywheel to suit (together with AP/Cosworth clutch etc).

The flywheel has no counterweight. My harmonic balancer is the 28oz one. Am I right with this flywheel? Will the machine shop be able to balance the assembly up OK? Do I keep the damper as is?

Thanks in anticipation

Chris

Hi Chris

Lots of people on here with more experience than me, but I'll tell you what my machine / balance shop told me a couple of weeks ago when I took them my 28-oz crank / '69 block / new steel flywheel (from Southern GT) / AP clutch cover. On the reverse of the flywheel there's a circular recess:-

1609845228657.png

Into which a balance weight will be bolted (good-quality bolts & plenty of threadlocker!).

1609845429481.png

Perfectly common practice, and he didn't seem surprised at all to see a flywheel without a built-in counterweight.

Hope this helps.

Eddy

Perfect, thank you, I was looking at that recess this morning wondering if that might be an option. That clarifies things. Was having a moment wondering if I needed another flywheel!

Back