ZF bellhousing and flywheel/clutch options

Hello everybody
i need some help about the ZF bellhousing.

Just removed engine and trans (5.0L-302w and ZF 5DS25-2), from my GTD

The flywheel / clutch arrangement seems a litle bit strange….
  • the flywheel is a small 120tooth , that has been re-drilled to fit the Ford Windsor crank and got a big counterweight (don’t know if it’s ok for the 50oz 5.0L) , that I canno’t identify
  • clutch disc is a AP 240mm
  • clutch pressure plate, unknown
  • an unknown small starter has been fitted with a homemade adapter plate
the ZF belhousing has some venting on top and is a closed circle on bottom, that does not allowed for a bigger and more common 157teeth flywheel

I’m building a 302-347 (to replace the old marine 302), and while my 347 is actually 28oz balanced (but I can have it rebalanced), I would like to use a 157teeth flywheel, with 10,5” clutch kit

can i cut some area of the bottom of the flywheel ?
or
who sell some ZF bellhousing that allowed to use a more standard flywheel ?

20221201_160239.jpg20221201_160245.jpg20221201_160253.jpg20221201_160536.jpg20221201_160609.jpg

Without seeing this installed in your GTD, it's difficult to be sure how a bigger flywheel and bellhousing will affect things. The smaller flywheel and bellhousing already fitted will allow your engine to sit lower in the chassis. Depending on how it sits now, if you move to a bigger flywheel, you might have the bellhousing hanging out below the chassis.

If your current flywheel can be saved, I would stick with what you have.

It also looks like your current bellhousing is of the "quick-release" type; as you can access those inner bolts via the slots at the top of the bellhousing it means that you can remove the ZF without having to split the bellhousing from the engine, an operation that usually requires the engine to be lifted out. That's another major plus point.

Regards,

Graham.

hi Graham,
it seems that the rear chassis is a southern GT
but the oil pan is lower than the bellhousing
the old small flywheel, does not look good or strong, and the 240mm clutch with the unknown pressure plate, may not hold the power of my newly built 347 (full forged rotating, TSF11r190 heads, roller cam, ...)

Attachments

• 20220704_171253.jpg
    20220704_171253.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 264

Mike Pass

Supporter
The flywheel is a modified Ford Essex V6 flywheel and is 121 tooth. It was fitted to GTDs because it would fit inside the Renault bellhousing. The Renault clutch has issues with the torque of a good 302.so Mick Sollis did an upgrade to the AP setup as used on the SGT. You may still have the Renault clutch pressure plate or you may have the AP one. I will try to find a pic of the two next to each other. The spline on the Renault and ZF boxes is different so you will have a driven plate with ZF splines.
The flywheel you have will have either the 28oz or 50 oz balance to suit your engine. if you change the flywheel it will need to be match balanced. most GTDs have 28oz engines due to the era they were built. Depending on the power you run the flywheel should be OK. Mine has been fine for 20 years with about 350hp and torque. Mick Sollis used to do steel flywheels in 121 tooth in neutral or 28oz balance.and the AP clutch setup. I had the Essex flywheel on my GTD redrilled to fit the AP clutch.
Cheers
Mike

thank you Mike, for those precious informations
generaly, the 85-up Ford 5.0L are 50oz, and not 28
do you know what is the balance weight on a Essex V6 flywheel 121 tooth ?

Mike Pass

Supporter
Here attached are a few pics from my GTD from when I changed the clutch from Renault to AP. Also here is some AP clutch info.
1670185625446.png

Hope this helps
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• AP L and Renault Driven plate R.jpg
    AP L and Renault Driven plate R.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 216
  • AP (L) Renault (R).jpg
    AP (L) Renault (R).jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 219
  • AP Left Renault Right Pressure cover.jpg
    AP Left Renault Right Pressure cover.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 199
  • GTD Essex V6 Flywheel.jpg
    GTD Essex V6 Flywheel.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 208
  • GTD Essex Flywheel bolts.jpg
    GTD Essex Flywheel bolts.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 223

Mike Pass

Supporter
I am not sure what the balance is on the Ford essex V6 flywheel as I didn't build this engine but I would guess more likely to be 28oz.
Cheers
Mike

My damper has been modified by a " welder"...
I'm sure it was a 28oz, and they added weight to make it to 50.... crazy

Attachments

• 20221205_084831.jpg
    20221205_084831.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 255
Looking at the picture of your undercarriage - it looks like you do not have any of the bottom bolts of the bell housing connecting to the rear K-member? So, I presume that only (2) upper bolts and the motor mounts are keeping the engine & drivetrain in place?

Looking at the picture of your undercarriage - it looks like you do not have any of the bottom bolts of the bell housing connecting to the rear K-member? So, I presume that only (2) upper bolts and the motor mounts are keeping the engine & drivetrain in place?
there's 2 bolt on the bottom of the bellhousing that are connecting to the rear frame

Attachments

• 20221118_105448.jpg
    20221118_105448.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 204

Louis

Supporter
Hello Everyone!

My build will be using 351W stroked to 427 with a ZF transaxle that Ron McCall is rebuilding. The chassis is RCR. I'm looking at both Quicktime and Kennedy Eng. for the bellhousing. The car is being setup for 90% street and some track time.

Kennedy Eng. is asking if I will be using a 157 or 164 tooth flywheel in my build. In the threads above I'm seeing the number of teeth in the 120s.

I'm learning here so much appreciation for your advice and expertise.

Thank you!
Louis

Louis,
i have a 121tooth flywheel, cause i have an aluminum "in the style of the original" bellhousing, that cannot accept bigger flywheels.
with the steel Quicktime bellhousing (that i've ordered), you need to use a 157-tooth flywheel and no larger than 10.5 in. clutch.

Thank you William! Much appreciated!!

Louis
Hi Louis,

I guess you have now sorted your flywheel problems...
If not then have a look at my build as I am using 157 tooth flywheel and a bellhousing that looks very similar to yours
I tried a 10.5 inch clutch pack and there was no way it would fit so i opted for a 10 inch... its close but after some machining of the bell housing all fits.
I shall be using a centre push clutch release.. not sure who's yet but prob be AP for reliability.

Jerry

Back