351 race engine

Keith

If anyone is seriously interested, I believe the seller may be willing to talk privately about this motor..

Probably has a "buy it now" price in mind....

Keith

What's the block then Jac? Asked seller was it W or C family and he didn't answer the question.

Last run in 2002 apparently. It's an odd one allright.

Keith1 said:
What's the block then Jac? Asked seller was it W or C family and he didn't answer the question.

Last run in 2002 apparently. It's an odd one allright.

Keith,
Going by the pic's its a 351*SVO* Windsor, but as most of the later SVO's all used the Windsor block configuration it could be 9.2" or 9.5" deck height. While AAR did make a 4bbl manifold that appears to be a fabricated steel or alloy piece which it would have to be to match the wider valley of the 351w without adapter plates. 351w was not introduced until 1969 and even AAR's alloy 344 cuin Block did not appear on the scene until 1968.( And the $$$$ would be a lot higher if it was one of those!) Pics dont show clear view of block core plugs, & I just had another look at a pic I have of the AAR block and it is definitely not one of them.

Jac Mac

Last edited:

Keith

Thanks for the info Jac. There's a lot of bidding on it already for an auction that has another 7 days to run so someone knows what it is or they want the heads only.

The heads alone I reckon are worth the current level of bidding plus a bit more, but as a combo, it is an odball to be sure. The seller was not forthcoming as to the previous application so I am kind of at a loss to understand what this was used in up to 2002 when it was allegedly rebuilt for £5K.

My best guess is that it was used in some kind of circuit application, possibly Mustang/Falcon? But it's a wild punt in the dark really.

Couple of things I noticed:
With 420 hp/418ft lbs very close, max power & torque have to be around 5200/5300 rpm. ( Torque = HP @ 5252 RPM.)
Also has GT40 primary pipes presumably to suit Gurney heads along with IDF carbs.
Jac Mac

HILLY

Supporter
If I was a betting man I’d reckon that they would still be for sale.
If they sold I’d like to know because I would also now have a set of sale ;)

Obviously I was not the only one! Do I take it then that the heads being offered by Knight are not worth £20k a pair?

cheers

Mark (fast learning GT40 novice)

It would seem from conversation with the vendor that the block is a Holman Moody 4 bolt lightweight - Ian Richardson had some of these years ago so this would seem possible. The block won't take an overbore; there's not enough material.

Why Do The Heads At Knight Seem To Be Sooo Expensive, Are They Different/better Than Original Gurney Weslake. Surely The Provenance Of Originals Adds To Their Value?
How Much Do You Think I Should Be Looking To Pay For An Engine Like This One With All The Goodies ?

ayrtonsenna said:
Why Do The Heads At Knight Seem To Be Sooo Expensive, Are They Different/better Than Original Gurney Weslake. Surely The Provenance Of Originals Adds To Their Value?
How Much Do You Think I Should Be Looking To Pay For An Engine Like This One With All The Goodies ?

Knight's heads are brand new alloy casting and slightly modify and improving from original casting
Bernie

Back