351W intake manifold?

Hi - after something of a break, I've just agreed to buy a V8 from a 1969 Mustang. The only ID number I could was the intake manifold, part number of C90E-9425-E -it looks like a 351W - can anyone confirm this? Thanks in advance - Rob

IntakeManifold # should be C9OE-9424-B for iron 4bbl,-C90Z-9424-E for alloy. not 9425.
If its 351w there should be two ribs on front of block- on each side of the dizzy around the two top bolts of the timing cover to near the corner of the valley where the -heads/block/manifold intersect. Fuel pump bolts are one each side of pump (not 1 up/1 down-thats Cleveland) .

Jac Mac

Last edited:
This question is slightly O/T but can you get spacers that allow you to put a 302 inlet manifold on a 351?

Never heard of anyone doing that. And if it could be done, Edelbrock would have it on their shelf. It is not on their shelf. And I beleive it never will be.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Price Motorsports has just what you need.
Intake Adapters

WOW--I'm intrigued by their AP-09 model. I plan on building a "Clevor", an 8.2" SBF block with canted valve, 351 Cleveland heads, and up to now I haven't seen any sort of adaptors for this combo other than a specific intake manifold. This Price Motorsports says in their chart that I can do that and use a production 302 SBF intake with their adaptors.

Need more info!! This is a very welcome development, as the manifold for the Clevor is over $400.

Doug

351 Cleveland heads can be used on a 302 windsor with a couple slight mods and either a Boss 302 or special manifold. I think I remember ther mods were just to drill coolant passages. One of the Ford or Mustang sites has the particulars.

Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance what are the advantages and why would you want an adaptor to put a 302 inlet mainifold on a 351W, as I have a 351.

Regards

Nick

Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance what are the advantages and why would you want an adaptor to put a 302 inlet mainifold on a 351W, as I have a 351.

Regards

Nick

In this day & with the number of manifolds available I cannot imagine why either, unless you have an oddball deck height like 8.7" as in the D Lampe RCR etc.

Jac Mac

Price did a manifold for me. It was truly amazing!

DSC00149.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

Using 351c heads on a 302 greatly increases its breathing. This is will give you something similar to the 302 Boss engine from 1969. The 351c 4v heads have monster valves and runners.

As a lifelong 351C owner, I can tell you that putting 351C heads on a 302 will kill it on the street. The ports are WAY too big even for the 351C. The Boss 302 was basically the origin of these heads. Don Coleman (head of racing product planning at Ford back in the day, and also the guy behind the Gulf team engine development program) told me that demanded that the engineers come up with heads that would breathe better and have bigger ports. The engineers went too far, and created ports that were TOO big. They flow great at 9000 rpm, but are compromised greatly down low.

With all the excellent aftermarket heads available for the 289/302/351W right now, you'd be crazy to go the Boss 302-clone route IMHO.

Hey Mike,
I actually agree with you on this one, with the Boss 302 we spent most of our time making fillers or wedges to reduce the port volume and area, on both exh & inlet. Without them the 302 had virtually nothing below 4000.
Pity the Aussie 302c heads had not been out a couple of years earlier, but they had problems too with shrouding etc. The CHI 3v is pretty hard to beat if you must go canted valve, but at the end of the day with the Windsor style stuff available now even those are questionable when space is limited.

Jac Mac

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
As a lifelong 351C owner, I can tell you that putting 351C heads on a 302 will kill it on the street. The ports are WAY too big even for the 351C. The Boss 302 was basically the origin of these heads. With all the excellent aftermarket heads available for the 289/302/351W right now, you'd be crazy to go the Boss 302-clone route IMHO.

I thought long and hard before I started to write this--OK, I know I'm almost alone in this passion, but I absolutely believe the canted valve heads offer some very obvious benefits. One of those is that b/c the valves are canted, they offer less valve shrouding as they open than does a Windsor headed motor. Anyone who has ever raced a canted valve head Ford knows about the torque killing, huge ports on the 4V heads, but there are modern alternatives--AFD makes an alloy Cleveland head with 2V size ports that is said to flow enough to support 600 horsepower out of the box. For a couple of years I drove on the street a Ford Maverick with a 351-C 2V, fitted with an Edelbrock intake, a 600 CFM Holley, a Crane Cam and a set of Rhodes lifters. Built Ford 351W's and Chevy 350's were no match for the combo, it just worked (in a straight line, don't ask me to take a corner, please)!!

The reason I believe in the Cleveland design is b/c the canted valve head offers a smoother torque curve (IMHO). Combine the benefits of the canted valve head's better inflow with a high lift, short duration cam and you have great cyllinder filling capability with a smooth, low RPM idle and great off idle torque. IMHO, it's the ideal street motor. PHR's Engine Masters competition has been ruled by Clevors lately, too--and the PHR contest prioritizes measurements in an RPM range that is real-world street related, not 8,000-9,000 RPMs.

The only problem I see is the scarcity of aftermarket support. OK, I know, somebody will say "If it were a good engine, there would be aftermarket support", and to that I can only say look at what has happened in Australia, where they had Cleveland design motors much longer than the few years we had them in the US (I'm not counting the 351M and 400 lumps here, although the 4 X 4 guys seem to like them). The "Street Boss" combination matches a set of closed chamber, 351C 2V heads to an 8.2" SBF, and it's a killer combo for the street and the strip, but the intake costs over $400 and availability is variable.

Should my GT40 dreams come true, I'll combine an alloy 8.2 SBF short block with a set of 2V alloy Cleveland heads, and perhaps I can talk Price into doing a one-off Weber manifold for me like Dean's!

Doug

Back