4-bolt ZF dash-one bellhousing

A bit of background ....

Today I collected my new and unused dash-one ZF transaxle after it was turned the right way up for my application (will be mated to my original Jaguar quad-cam prototype "XJ13" engine). The conversion was carried out by Paul Fleming in the UK who looks after a range of racecars including GT40 1005. Paul managed to unearth a pair of original XJ13 driveshafts which he added during the conversion. These genuine shafts are unique to the XJ13 and had to be modified in period because they are also used as suspension top links.

My question ....

Although I have access to one of only three original bellhousings remaining, it is only for photographs/measurements and so I need to make my own. Here are a couple of pics of what I want to end up with:

bellhousing001.jpg

bellhousing002.jpg

My options are probably to model a new one and have one either cast/machined-from-solid OR add some sort of sandwich plate to an existing 4-bolt one (the final width of my bellhousing needs to be no more than 118mm).

Anyone have any ideas? Perhaps a suitable bellhousing they no longer need? Do you know of one that already has a wide enough flange I could drill to suit my block?

Neville
Building the Legend

Hi Neville
Have you thought about getting the bell 3D scanned? Then it can be used as the casting pattern to get a new one made for yourself.
Depending on who does the scanning, you can even get the program to proportionally increase the dims to allow for the shrinkage that will occur during casting, so you end up back at the correct dims as per the original.
Not sure where you are based but someone like Harling Foundry in Hastings (Sussex) can do the casting.
Somewhere I have the details of a good 3D scanning company in the UK so if you need it then I will try and dig it out.
Obviously all the critical dimensions of the machining still need to be carefully controlled. John Wisher is used to that kind of thing but not sure if he would want to work on someone else's castings.
Good luck!

I have a v12 bellhousing from a BW jag box that I have been asked to modify for use with a zf trans, it looks like a very straight forward job . I have not had a chance to attack it yet but will dig it out and post a pic of it. It even has that top plate mount on it for the rear engine stabilizer.

Bob

Hi Bob
I would be very interested in hearing about your progress with the Jag BW bellhousing. The bellhousing I made was for a Jag prototype V12 which is very different to the later SOHC engines but I am about to make a run of four or more of the later engine. I plan to use modified Quaife 'ZF DS 25' transaxles.

Is the bellhousing you have for a 5.3 or 6.0 litre block? (They have different bolt patterns).

The only problem I have is that the standard bellhousing may nit be up to the job of supporting the engine/wheels as in the XJ13 application so I may need to have some cast anyway. Now I have a CAD model it will be easy to modify for the later engine and 3D print into wax for investment casting.

The one I have was from a normal road car v12 5.3 . The guy wants it for an xj13 project but for the later zf trans. What is the function of all the lugs on the side of that bellhousing?

Bob

What is the function of all the lugs on the side of that bellhousing?

The lugs are a very necessary feature if the engine/transaxle is mounted in a similar way to the XJ13. In the XJ13, the engine/drivetrain is fully-stressed and all of the back suspension hangs off it. The engine is supported in the monocoque in two places - the front engine mount and a system of cross-tubes running from these "lugs" on the bellhousing to the end of the sill. A standard Jag V12 bellhousing just wouldn't be up to the job. Any other way of mounting the drivetrain isn't "XJ13".

The following pictures show these cross-tubes in place on the bellhousing. One end attaches to the bellhousing "lugs" and the other end attaches to the end of the sill:

transaxle mount.jpg

Note also the absence of any sort of upper wishbone. The driveshaft performs this function in the XJ13 (transaxle is beefed-up accordingly).

This is why you need to take care when designing a bellhousing for a XJ13 replica. However, this may not be a requirement in your case (?) as most replicas make no attempt to replicate the XJ13 under the skin. The most widely-available XJ13 replica available in the UK uses a sort of "universal" chassis where the supplier can substitute body-styles as needed (anything from a GT40 through to a Porsche 917) and no attempt is made at authenticity below the skin.

These guys should be able to do it for you, turn key.

ExOne GmbH
Am Mittleren Moos 41
86167 Augsburg
Germany
+49 (0) 821 7476 0

exone.com

They do it for us here in the US.

Good Luck
Great Project
DeLynn

Neville-
If you decide to go that way, I have the original bell housing from my -0 transaxle sitting on the shelf in the garage. I'd be willing to have it 3D scanned here in Houston and have the scan converted to an AutoCAD -friendly solid so you could make any modifications you need to make in ProEngineer or whatever. I'd think a foundry there could produce a cope and drag from that as it's a simple taper with no core.
John

Back