48 IDA leaking on Idle/shutdown

Mike Pass

Supporter
The carb suppliers “believe” the floats are set correctly- did they set them? They are either correct or they are not.
Link to pressure dump thread-
As stated check the timing with the engine at say 3,000rpm when the timing should have advanced fully set at 35 degrees.
Cheers
Mike

Chuck

Supporter
With the same IDA set up on our GT, it is our practice to shut off the fuel pump a quarter mile or so before reaching our destination to reduce the amount of fuel in the carbs thus reducing the amount of fuel dripping into the manifold. At a minimum let the GT idle a bit after turning of the fuel pump. This is a well known issue with Webers.

The carb suppliers “believe” the floats are set correctly- did they set them? They are either correct or they are not.
Link to pressure dump thread-
As stated check the timing with the engine at say 3,000rpm when the timing should have advanced fully set at 35 degrees.
Cheers
Mike
Thanks Mike,
The floats were set by them at the time of the kit assembly which included inlet manifold and linkage. If they were set wet or dry I do not know.
Thanks for the link and I will set the timing as recommended

With the same IDA set up on our GT, it is our practice to shut off the fuel pump a quarter mile or so before reaching our destination to reduce the amount of fuel in the carbs thus reducing the amount of fuel dripping into the manifold. At a minimum let the GT idle a bit after turning of the fuel pump. This is a well known issue with Webers.
Thanks Chuck, that is a great tip.
I just need it to behave itself for the IVA test next Wednesday and then I can do as you suggested when I use the car after that.
I really don't know how much idling and sitting around with the rear clip down the car will do during the IVA test which is what is worrying me.
Thanks

38 all in at 4000rpm.
So if you can recurve the dizzy, 14 initial + 24 mechanical makes 38.
If you'r running a hot cam, don't start mechanical advance below 1200rpm cause it might create a jumping idle..

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
SET YOUR TIMING AT TOTAL ADVANCE.. I BELIEVE NOT ENOUGH OR TOO MUCH CAN CAUSE HIGHER TEMPS ? THOUGHTS ANYONE ? 48 IDA'S LIKE TIMING . TOTAL ADVANCE 34 TO 36 ??? FEEL FREE TO CHIME IN ANYONE. AND LASTLY , I AM NOT A MECHANIC . I AM RUNNING 48IDA'S ON MY 347.

WALT
My 331 (10.5:1) with Dart Pro1 Heads and Inglese Cam with 48 IDAs would do 32 for peak HP/TQ on the dyno before it started dropping off. I think we ended up at 31 degrees which gave a little more room before detonation and was still super crisp throttle response.
I think the cylinder head design and compression has more to do with the amount of advance an engine likes.

Back