5.4 Ltr Boss V8 - More info please

Well Ford Aus have finally released some more info on the yet to be released Ford Falcon GT.

The engine they will be using is what they call the the 5.4-Ltr Boss V8. It'll output a massive 290KW (400hp) and 525Nm (NoIdea lbft) Torque. The engine sourced from the Windsor plant in Canada has been mated to the Mustang Cobra R heads with twin overhead cams and 4 valves/cyl. This is a purpose built engine. This configuration apparently exists for this model only will in theory, eventually be avaiable over the counter.
grin.gif

(Facts and figures from Herald-Sun Melbourne)

OK, now thems the facts. My question. What family of engines is this block from, how big a deal is it that they managed to get the Mustang heads onto it, and will its weight/dimentions be favourable for possibly one day fitting one into one of our 40s.

Its the modular series engines here in the States currently they have a love them or HATE them following here. the 4.6L is used in the Mustangs. The 2 valve 5.4s finding homes in the F-series trucks and E-series Vans.
The heads on them are HUGE in comparison to the OHV heads on the 5.0 or the 5.8 if you do a search on the 4.6L you will find a link to a pic that shows the 4.6 and a 50 side by side

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>What family of engines is this block from?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ford's modular engine family. Basically it's a 4.6 DOGC with a taller deck to accomodate a longer stroke.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>how big a deal is it that they managed to get the Mustang heads onto it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a big deal at all. The modular engines all share the same bore spacing, so the heads pretty much bolt right up. The big deal is the intake, and a lot of modular hot rodders are anxiously awaiting this intake. The 4.6 intakes won't fit because the 5.4 block has a taller deck height and consequently a widder valley. The 2000 Cobra R (385 hp) had a one-off intake that is not available unless you buy a Cobra R.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>will its weight/dimentions be favourable for possibly one day fitting one into one of our 40s?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess anything's possible, but due to the taller deck height it will be even harder to shoehorn into a GT40 than the 4.6 DOHC. I suspect that the reason the GT44 is 10% larger than the GT40 is largely due to the need to fit this huge engine/blower.

That block weighs in over 500LB's without any
accessories on it. Ford punched it out for more power but it still wasn't enough for the lightening truck so they put a supercharger on it. Power to weight is not good especially when you look at an Ls1.

Hersh
smile.gif

They call it a BOSS? I've owned all 3 Boss engines before (302, 351 and 429) and all were canted valve cleveland type heads. I wonder how they justify calling this a BOSS??

Have fun!

John

Howard Jones

Supporter
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris L:
Well Ford Aus have finally released some more info on the yet to be released Ford Falcon GT.

The engine they will be using is what they call the the 5.4-Ltr Boss V8. It'll output a massive 290KW (400hp) and 525Nm (NoIdea lbft) Torque. The engine sourced from the Windsor plant in Canada has been mated to the Mustang Cobra R heads with twin overhead cams and 4 valves/cyl. This is a purpose built engine. This configuration apparently exists for this model only will in theory, eventually be avaiable over the counter.
grin.gif

(Facts and figures from Herald-Sun Melbourne)

OK, now thems the facts. My question. What family of engines is this block from, how big a deal is it that they managed to get the Mustang heads onto it, and will its weight/dimentions be favourable for possibly one day fitting one into one of our 40s.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Howard Jones

Supporter
The one good thing this motor has going for it is.... Hmmmmmm. A good 302 with as much alum. stuff as you can get on it, intake waterpump,light starter, etc. will not only make more power but is MUCH smaller and lighter. On top of that the modular motor would require electronic stuff that just complicates things for no good reason,header system nightmare,enginerreing a gearbox adapter,high pressure fuel system(fire).And now that I think about it mounting the ac pump would also require a lot of thought(space).All that money could be better spent on brakes,tires/wheels etc.

On the positive side......hmmmmm, good smog control.

John,

My history might be a bit rusty, but I think I'm might be roughly on the mark.

Ford Australia can lay some claim to the BOSS name. The original Boss engines were a direct derivative of the 450+ HP Cleveland engines that were first developed and built in Australia specifically to run in an early 70s Falcon GT. Up until then I believe, the Cleveland was primarily a truck motor.

Incidentally, these particular Falcon GTs were developed to win the famous Bathurst 500 endurance race, which they did easily.

cHRIS,
I assume that given Robert's work with the 4.6 installation, and Ford's work with emissions, that motor could be a gun thing for an emmsiions legal Astralian 400 hp RF/gt40...however the crank height and gearbox adapters would need to be ballpark..
and our local Motec cold control one with ease!!
Rob

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Robert,

I'll have to say that I was kinda hoping that this engine was not part of the Modular family. In fact I was really kinda hoping that the $1.8 million that went into developing this engine was as a result of grafting multi-valve heads onto a Windsor block... especially since the engine in effect replaces the 5.8ltr Windsor in the TS50. I suppose that was REAL wishfull thinking though.

Oh well, I guess its back to grafting those heads to a Windsor myself. Now where was that hack saw and arc welder.

Back