"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of ... "

Okay so I can't say I'm a man of wealth and taste. I like to think I have taste. And I'm working on the wealth bit.

I'm Russ, and I found my way here after a path; after paying off my last vehicle, a notion came into my brain that I should build my next vehicle, rather than 'buy' it. This winter I'll be done with the electrical & possibly insulation. [Hold me to this folks!] and then I can start laying things out as I plan to build what I have been formulating in my head over the last few years. I thought about a Caterham Lotus 7 variant. I thought about a Cobra. But I'm based out of the Pacific Northwest, and there's only so much you can Duck-Down-Drive-Faster ;)

Some time ago I spotted a "Corvette Eagle GTP" replica and thought 'That's pretty cool.' fast forward and I see that replica kits have evolved from being knockoffs to being their own homegrown super/hyper car breed.

Then Ford went and made the new GT, and the GTR, I was in college, working at a Ford Dealership actually, when the GT came out.

Fast forward another decade, I'm almost done with the student loan payments, hah! Which means more money can flow into the car build project account.

One thing to another and I stumbled across Team Gunnar Racing's video "First Start in 30 years!" for what they found out was actually Porsche 917-017 after some paintwork detective deduction. I followed their restoration of that car and mentioned it to a few people, some of whom are Porsche owners and project car Porsche owners around the office. I found out there was a 917 true to life replica by RCR, with a little bit of wiggle room given for modern safety concerns.

I saw they had GT-40 Mk 1 & Mk II's and flashed back to dreaming of owning that Showroom Shiny GT.

But I turned back to the RCR page and saw their 962, and remembered so many hours spent enjoying watching those races the 962 was in in the 80s and early 90s. And that's where I'm aiming now. Build one for myself.

My 'track' will be at first, Portland International Raceway and the race driving training they have there. I plan on making it a 'tame' build at Stage 1: 400hp and 500lb-ft of twin turbo v6. Because putting a truck engine in a race car chassis is very much a Ford Thing To Do. Or maybe drop a Voodoo in there like one of the IMSA NA-Tuned beasties.

Cheers,
-Russ

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to Gt40s.com, it sounds like you have a great plan. It will be your car make it to make you happy as these things can get under your skin and you end up searching for a part made of unobtanium which stirs the build. 4 to500 hp in a light car is extremely quick.

Start a build thread and no doubt you will get help and assistance on their great source of knowledge

Ian

Welcome to Gt40s.com, it sounds like you have a great plan. It will be your car make it to make you happy as these things can get under your skin and you end up searching for a part made of unobtanium which stirs the build. 4 to500 hp in a light car is extremely quick.
That's one of the things I like about the idea of using a 3.5L Ecoboost engine; there are going to be a whole lot of them pressed into service in the next few years, so there will be a plethora of parts to keep the 'stock engine' alive.
Start a build thread and no doubt you will get help and assistance on their great source of knowledge
So far I'm thinking a flipped 6 speed from Gbox, with cooler kit mounted pretty close to the original position the 962C's had. But I haven't driven performance-based stick since 2017...

I've seen a lot of historic dash photos and I'm curious how much of the factory car RCR has managed to retain with the replica dash kit. There just aren't enough photos of the RCR-962 that I've found so far... And then there's the "Well what color do I want it to be?" laughing voice in the back of my head.

I plan to do a beefy alternator and electric AC unit.

I've got some family in the Steamfitter's Union, so I'm going to have a master whip my TIG skills into shape and set up a stainless exhaust, possibly with track cutouts to shunt to the original side pipes. But then a more sedate exhaust for the daily driving. Most of my exhaut theory comes from the drag racing side of my friend circles. I'm told that I'll get all the help designing a 'belligerent' exhaust. But I'm in search of fun answers for this too. With the rise of places like SendCutSend fabbing bits and bobs got all kinds of interesting and in my opinion, much more fun.

I'm also curious about the options available for 'getting over those pesky speedbumps', Dauer did that for those 962's required to be 'street legal in Germany' to get them into the new 'GT Production' class.

Oh it's going to be a glorious project :)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s, Russ!
Lots of great information here to feed the desires you have!

Hi Russ,

I'm in Oregon City and would be stoked to see a local 962. Keep us posted!
Heyo! Good to see ya. I'm curios to see some of the local builder/tuners, so pardon if I dive after and possibly do some thread-necromancy. :)

This weekend my brain was racking going 'I wonder how other fellows here in Oregon handle dehumidifying their shop/garages.'

Same to @SpyderMike :)

Neil

Supporter
Heyo! Good to see ya. I'm curios to see some of the local builder/tuners, so pardon if I dive after and possibly do some thread-necromancy. :)

This weekend my brain was racking going 'I wonder how other fellows here in Oregon handle dehumidifying their shop/garages.'

"'I wonder how other fellows here in Oregon handle dehumidifying their shop/garages." Easy... move to Arizona. :D

"'I wonder how other fellows here in Oregon handle dehumidifying their shop/garages." Easy... move to Arizona. :D
Work's got me bound geographically for the foreseeable future. And the house doesn't have any equity yet. Just got in last summer.

Plus I like green. Arizona's nice to visit, but I couldn't live there. :)

Neil

Supporter
Work's got me bound geographically for the foreseeable future. And the house doesn't have any equity yet. Just got in last summer.

Plus I like green. Arizona's nice to visit, but I couldn't live there. :)
The AZ White mountains are green.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

When I lived in Minnesota (Land of 10,000 lakes and a bazzilion-percent humidity), I had a small 10" oscillating fan that just kept air moving 7x24 and I had very little rust issues (I had a lot of bare steel in my shop). Fan was on low speed and I would burn one out every 2 years and picked up another at Walmart for $7..

Chet Zerlin

Supporter
Randy...you think Minnesota has high humidity? I'm in Naples....Florida. In the summer walking outside and swimming feel exactly the same.... ;)

Chet

When I lived in Minnesota (Land of 10,000 lakes and a bazzilion-percent humidity), I had a small 10" oscillating fan that just kept air moving 7x24 and I had very little rust issues (I had a lot of bare steel in my shop). Fan was on low speed and I would burn one out every 2 years and picked up another at Walmart for $7..
Oh dang that's pretty good Return On Investment there. I got a big cooling air mover to let me encroach into the hottest months of the summer; but looking to get more work done on insulating, and air control (dust / fume mitigation and air conditioning). The slab this is poured on defiantly has that ''m gonna make you hate life' feel to it compared to other, dry slabs with a great moisture barrier. And I found the source of the original moisture that got fixed when I threw a new roof on it (house and garage) last fall. Got a few more hazmat bags to toss tho.... A garage is just a chain of projects you have to do before your project car should start ;)

Lets hear it for sweat equity... >_>

Chris Kouba

Supporter

I've not really had a problem with humidity and do nothing special. Shop is insulated and I assume has a moisture barrier underneath it, but I wasn't around for its construction so can't confirm. It is sheetrocked and insulated, but I don't heat it. I don't think it ever really gets that cold here as I grew up in New England where it actually snows. If you're motivated enough, you'll do whatever is needed- whether that's work in the "cold" (or heat) or fork out for heat/dehumidifier.

I've not really had a problem with humidity and do nothing special. Shop is insulated and I assume has a moisture barrier underneath it, but I wasn't around for its construction so can't confirm. It is sheetrocked and insulated, but I don't heat it. I don't think it ever really gets that cold here as I grew up in New England where it actually snows. If you're motivated enough, you'll do whatever is needed- whether that's work in the "cold" (or heat) or fork out for heat/dehumidifier.
A donor AC unit that I had to take the edge off the heat at my old apartment is going to park in back , next to the dust collector... (Found a formula for setting up a cyclonic. So that's getting 3d-printed.)

I happen to be in Southern Oregon...quite a bit dryer where we are.

In my "shop" I have insulation and water barrier under the concrete and glycol radiant floor heating in it. The walls and ceiling are well insulated too. Nice dry and cozy warm inside.

Back