930 Release Bearing Retention?

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Folks,

Having never worked on a pull style pressure plate before, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the clutch release bearing is supposed to be retained to the pressure plate on a 930. I have seen a few photos that show a snap ring and a set of washers that appear to be used to do this on 930 and 915 transaxles, but I can't seem find out: 1. where to get them (online ideally), and 2. what order these 4 (I think) pieces of retaining hardware are assembled in.

Some background: I have a 930 modified by PHII to use an Austin Healy slave cylinder that is clearly set up to pull the release bearing towards the transaxle when the clutch is depressed, and the pressure plate has the release fingers pointing towards the engine. I asked PHII about this but they indicated that it should be a standard push type setup and the bearing doesn't need to be retained. So I sent photos back to them of what they supplied me, but I haven't gotten any response yet.

Thanks,

Al H.

Alex,
The standard Porsche setup is a puller. The "throwout bearing" is the round piece with the "ears" on it. It goes on the inside of the pressureplate. I believe there is a small spring that goes on the arm on the outside that holds it in place. There is a long arm which will have to be done away with as it is used to cushion the whole mechanism(I think that is what is for). Not sure of the pieces you have. Mine is being assembled along with the spray bar setup as we speak by the shop foreman at Jim Ellis Porsche here in Atlanta. If you drop by the local shop in your area, they can advise you on every aspect of what you will need to do. I know zero about the Porsche setup as well. You might even get them to pitch in and give you a hand. Then again it may come with a bill. Just as well, as it will be setup right. There are ansilary questions to be asked, such as, do you have the long or short bell housing, what "might be needed" to make sure your unit will fit properly to your engine. I would rather pay the money and make sure everything is right the first go round.

Bill

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bill,

Thanks for verifying that I'm on the right track! Just in case anyone is interested, here's my setup.

Best Regards,

Al

Attachments

• Library - 7818.jpg
    Library - 7818.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 365
  • Library - 7820.jpg
    Library - 7820.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 355

Ron Earp

Admin
Hmmm, looks like I have some sorting to do. I have the flywheel but nothing else. Not sure my flywheel looks like yours either. What is the piece at the bottom of your "sandwich" with the cut outs? Is that the flywheel?

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ron,

The whole thing below the ring gear is the flywheel, the pressure plate is sandwiched inside of it. Pretty hefty piece. Here's a side view that might help.

Hi Fran,

Thanks for the tip.

Regards,

Al

Attachments

• Shuttle Launch.jpg
    Shuttle Launch.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 297

Ron Earp

Admin
Holy sheet.

That bottom piece isn't all one piece is it? Looks like a steel flywheel, then an ally spacer with the holes cut in it.

Why can't it just be normal?

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
You're right Ron, it's three parts: traditional flywheel, hat and ring gear, but the aluminum hat and ring gear are almost as heavy as the flywheel.

Al

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I'll get some pics of the one I got too, I suspect it is similar to Al's as it came from Roger too. It was supposed to have been a lightened version but I'm not sure.

Sandy

Back