A Problem For the Panel

Prior to placing my deposit I was emailed two build sheets, one for a MK 1 and one for a MKII, I was also emailed an information package showing various paint schemes, and aspects of the car. It was in this information package that it states MK I features: BRM style wheels. Further along it states “the standard BRM style rims are 10” wide in the rear.” The build sheet for the MK 1 did show a $2750.00 option for BRM wheels, however, I ASSUMED this was for the extra wide 13” BRM wheels to go with the extra wide 69 rear body section. I have signed no paper work. My deposit was paid by credit card over the phone. I would certainly like to discuss my situation with Lance, I just need to find out how to get in touch with him. I’m assuming I would need to get a telephone number for him in So. Africa.

Update: Lance is not in Irvine, he is on the East Coat somewhere, probably with Doug Campbell in Florida setting up their new location. I did however speak with the General Sales Manager who understood my frustration. Apparently, at least GT 40s, have not come with wheels and tires since 2019. They just have not updated their website or literature to reflect that fact. Another dealer told me that the policy change took effect “about four months ago.” So I’m not sure which is correct. Regardless, he said this will be discussed with his superiors and someone will be back in touch with me. Once I find out how this is to be resolved, I will let the forum know.

If the wheels and tires are your biggest unforseen expenses, you're probably doing well.

$6000 for both is 4% of $140,000, and if you buy an engine and transmission, you're headed to $180k amirite?
$6000 is 3% of $180,000.
3% is not so much regardless of the gross dollars involved and moral outrage not withstanding.
$2750 for BRM wheels is 1.5% of $180,000.00

I think that you are facing a 1.5% "optional wheel dilemma".

Someone recently posted a photograph of their SPF car rolling around the factory finishing area on a steel frame with casters while wearing BRM rims with no rubber.
Sure looked suspiciously ready to roll into a container to ship - no tires.

My January 2022 deposit generated a dealer-furnished spreadsheet-based paper price list that I was sent home with.
It said to me that Halibrands are included, that BRM are $2750(?) extra, and that tires are not included - would I like cheap crappy placeholder ones (my inference) as rollers for a few hundred or Avons for $2600 or something.

I bet you get Halibrands if you don't step up to BRM's for extra.
Tires were probably always an expense from the beginning. Get a $400 set of placeholders if you're really ticked off and go buy the Avons elsewhere if you must out of spite, but probably hardly worth the energy that it would take to do.

We're dealing with a cottage-industry company here, not Toyota.
See background in photos in link above.

You asked what I'd do?:
  • I'd go there in person and assume that I'd personally made a listening error until I could prove to myself otherwise.
  • I'd recognize that while I try not to make errors, I somehow still do - your mileage may vary.
  • I'd keep in mind that I have pretty consistently been my own worst enemy in life (1st wife being exhibit A), despite doing pretty well in life so far overall, so look out if you've had similar experiences with self-inflicted errors.
I'd NOT use emails to the dealer or messages in this forum to decide anything until I'd gotten to the bottom of it with the person or people responsible for making or breaking your build, whoever that might be. They might put snails inside of your gas tank for revenge...
After that, I'd probably keep my cards close to my chest regardless, unless there was really good news to share.

I just don't see chatter online about SPF dealers or Hillbank in particular being generally problematic, and people LOVE to share pain online.
Nobody's perfect, so give them some slack and see what happens, and keep in mind that this is probably a misunderstanding over 1.5%.

On a high-end, bespoke sports car.

I sincerely hope that you find a path through to your dream and don't let this bump get in the way.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Kenyon did a very good analysis. Just freight for my body was $1900 form MA to TX. I also get the feeling of being taken advantage of. While it could be a small amount or a small percentage you still get that feeling in your gut that you can't shake. "Well thank you for ordering your new Lexus sir, now how will you be taking delivery, would you like wheels to drive it home? "

It is just something that should have been brought up in the initial negotiations. Hopefully someone with SPF will see this thread and realize they need to update their website and update their sales people to make this option known up front. In small companies when we make changes we do not realize all the documents, marketing, training and web stuff that then must follow. ISO 9001 helps with that greatly. ( I wonder if Superformance need a remote quality guy....best brush up my resume)

I have been on the waiting list for Avons since October. I am told I made the March list of orders being fulfilled!

Kenyon you make a lot of good points, especially regarding exhibit A. I do not wish to belabor the issue. I was simply upset that I was basically told that I did not see something that I read in black and white. If it had been acknowledged at that point I would have simply bit my lip. I already told the Sales Manager I will pay for the tires. I just wanted an acknowledgement that they were complicit in the misunderstanding, and it is my full intention to work through this ordeal and get my GT 40.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Make sure the welds are period correct spotwelds in correct locations according to the old blueprints and not just migwelded to bits.

Kenyon you make a lot of good points, especially regarding exhibit A. I do not wish to belabor the issue. I was simply upset that I was basically told that I did not see something that I read in black and white. If it had been acknowledged at that point I would have simply bit my lip. I already told the Sales Manager I will pay for the tires. I just wanted an acknowledgement that they were complicit in the misunderstanding, and it is my full intention to work through this ordeal and get my GT 40.

I don't doubt that someone may have mis-spoken.

Was it a Car Salesman who did this to you, perhaps??? Hmmmmmmm...... You do recognize that you are dealing with a Car Salesman's words in exquisite detail in your mind right now, right? The guy was simply riffing while standing around the showroom talking to some dude about a GT40 and he mis-spoke or maybe they didn't give him the right info? Who knows?

Try to avoid an attempt at "teaching a pig how to sing" here. There is insanity down that path.

I am delighted to report that the transmissions that I saw referenced here in old posts on the way in as being $8000.00 are being produced by a person who does not think that making enough of them or answering his phone is more important than fishing or roller derby or whatever he does with his day, and that he is now charging $20,000 for the few gems that he produces.

Things are tough all over in the fancy goofy specialty indulgence South African Foord car marketplace, my friend.

Wheels not included too? If that's true, I'll certainly give my man a good natured ribbing and ask if selling cars without wheels is a traditional practice in South Africa? -Perhaps this is a "Southern Hemisphere" thing? Makes me wonder if they do it this way in Brazil and Australia too. The Australians are certainly silly enough to do something like this. Just think: a line of parasitic wheel stores clustered around the corner from every new car dealership nationwide! - Is there a wooden ox-cart wheel option for the home market that prompts this custom? How about those tank-track things instead of wheels for the snow? The imaginary variations are nearly bottomless!

Just thinking about this makes me laugh.

Really, I could go on and on and never once get really mad about something so obviously ridiculous.
Me buying one with my own money at these prices is equally ridiculous when I stop and think about it, so it's hard to take it too seriously.

-What else can you really do and not get eaten up thinking about it?

Get a grip before you go in and start waving a verbal machete around at the dealership says me.

Back