Accusump (Canton) electric valve orientation ?

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
When assembling the Canton accusump electric valve (solenoid valve) to the accusump should the "out" marking on the valve face the accusump or the engine?

Steve P2125

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I believe it to the engine Steve. I have my pressure switch set at 35 PSI, its is on the OUT side of that valve going to the engine also.

It should be mounted so the arrow on the valve points away​
from the Accusump™

Attachments

• instructions.pdf
    199.3 KB · Views: 231

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Jack,

Thanks, I thought so.

Another question.

Can you describe the actual operation of your system for me. Specifically:

From your description above you seem to have the solenoid and 35/40# pressure swich set up.

I'm trying to understand the relationship between the pressure switch and the solenoid during pre oil AND surge operation.

For first cold start: Assume accusump is air pre charged to say 10#, and wheras engine oil pressure is 0 (under 40# when your swith closes) the NC pressure switch is open energizing the solenoid open allowing start up oil pressure to enter the accusump (say engine oil pressure will be 70# for a baseline). Now my question is as the system pressure rises above 40# does the pressure switch close not allowing the accusump to fully charge to the 70# engine pressure and if it doesn't close why not?

What do you see on your accusump gauge when you go from engine off to a cold start? Assume you have 70# does your accusump discharge to the 10# precharge and then recharge to 70#, do you see a surge to 70# on your dash oil pressure gauge on cold start as you hold key on before cranking and before oil pressure rises as engine starts to the 70#? If yes I don't understand the operation of the 35# opening, 40# closing pressure switch.

Bonus question re "surge" function. If <35# the NC press sw elex opens and opens the solenoid but then shuts again at 40 how does the accusump reach full system charge?

Do you or does anyone else have a handle on theis?

Tx, Steve P2125

Steve,
The purpose of the Accusump is to guard against low oil pressure. Say you are in a high G turn and the pickup comes out of the oil or the oil is pushed away from the pickup. IF the accusump is activated, and the pressure drops below your choice of pressure valve( they run as low a 20 and run up from there) then the valve is opened and the oil is dicharged into the line or opening that you have chosen until empty, or the pressure rises above your discharge pressure. When the oil pressure rises above the valve setting,the accusump is recharged by your engines oil pressure til full. The Accusump is just a pressurized cylinder(air pressure) full of oil. The amount I am not sure of. I think the instructions tell how much air pressure should be used to discharge the oil. Whatever it is, is how fast the oil is discharged. Once your oil pressure rises above the valve pressure, it recharges the cylinder.
I have my system on a switch because I want it that way. Otherwise it should be set up to activate on the key switch. There are + & - to each way of doing it. If you want preoiling before start up, then set it to the ignition key. Just remember it you turn the key to the on position and don't start the engine, the valve will stay open until turned off or you start the engine.

Bill

Just fitted an Accusump to my 347 engined GT40. First track event was about 3 weeks ago and it worked well. Oil surge around corners now results in accusump holding decent (30 psi) pressure to engine.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack,

Thanks, I thought so.

Another question.

Can you describe the actual operation of your system for me. Specifically:

From your description above you seem to have the solenoid and 35/40# pressure swich set up.

I'm trying to understand the relationship between the pressure switch and the solenoid during pre oil AND surge operation.

For first cold start: Assume accusump is air pre charged to say 10#, and wheras engine oil pressure is 0 (under 40# when your swith closes) the NC pressure switch is open energizing the solenoid open allowing start up oil pressure to enter the accusump (say engine oil pressure will be 70# for a baseline). Now my question is as the system pressure rises above 40# does the pressure switch close not allowing the accusump to fully charge to the 70# engine pressure and if it doesn't close why not?

What do you see on your accusump gauge when you go from engine off to a cold start? Assume you have 70# does your accusump discharge to the 10# precharge and then recharge to 70#, do you see a surge to 70# on your dash oil pressure gauge on cold start as you hold key on before cranking and before oil pressure rises as engine starts to the 70#? If yes I don't understand the operation of the 35# opening, 40# closing pressure switch.

Bonus question re "surge" function. If <35# the NC press sw elex opens and opens the solenoid but then shuts again at 40 how does the accusump reach full system charge?

Do you or does anyone else have a handle on theis?

Tx, Steve P2125

I am not sure what the pressure of the accusump switch closes (differential pressure) or how you can increase that span. Assuming the switch opens at 40 PSI lets use that scenario.

Steve I am not at my car now but I believe the accusump pre-charge (air blatter) is more than 10 PSI, I think its about 30. My max oil pressure is 50 PSI and that is what I have at idle when cold, then it drops to 40-45 after warm.
The ignition switch energizes the valve (opens) when the oil pressure is less than 35 PSI which sends 40 PSI of oil back to the engine. Anything over 40 PSI the accusump switch is open (valve closed) trapping the 40 PSI of oil in the accusump no matter what the oil pressure of the engine. When you turn the key on you will hear the valve open and see your oil pressure gauge go up to 40 PSI then start to drain down, this is when I hit the start button. The accusump does work! When I did the open road race in TX it was close to 100 F outside and I was running 5-20 oil from the winter. When the car came to an idle after the 59 miles of 110 MPH the low oil pressure idiot light (something I recommend you to install which is connected to the accusump switch) started flashing, the accusump was pressurizing the engine with cooler oil which brought the pressure back up past 40 PSI, I now run 20-50 for summer and winter.

Hope this makes sense.
Jack

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Jack,Bill, Julian,

Thanks for replies.

Found out what was wrong with mine; electric (solenoid) valve defective.

I installed new valve and all OK.

Steve P2125

Back