advice on fitting large racingn tyres

Hi everyone,
I recently acquired a set of part used Avon racing tyres for my ferrari 512 replica project. Im struggling to get the rears fitted as they are too wide for most fitment machines. size is 15 x 26 x15... they are only going to be used to roll my car around on as the mag rims i have are old and corroded.
anybody got experience of fitting wide tyres? or know a good place to take them? im in milton keynes UK.. thanks!
james

Attachments

• IMG_2845.jpeg
    IMG_2845.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 214

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Find a local race shop and see if they can fit the tire or if not who they use! You would expect there to be plenty of options around Silverstone!

Hi everyone,
I recently acquired a set of part used Avon racing tyres for my ferrari 512 replica project. Im struggling to get the rears fitted as they are too wide for most fitment machines. size is 15 x 26 x15... they are only going to be used to roll my car around on as the mag rims i have are old and corroded.
anybody got experience of fitting wide tyres? or know a good place to take them? im in milton keynes UK.. thanks!
james
Find an old manual tire machine that you can extend the tube in the center to accomodate the wide rim, and if you cannot get the tyre to seal/blow up due to width just fit a tube since you only need them to push it around.. probably need that anyway if they are old, tend to copy the owner a bit and lose pressure as they get older. The DRIFT guys have a few tricks to get the tire to inflate if you get really stuck.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I have done that when stranded in the bush a hundred miles from nowhere. DO NOT TAKE THAT TIRE AND WHEEL TO A TIRE SHOP FOR A REPAIR, you can always smell the ether and they will be pissed.

lol yes ive seen this before - what with my old wheels being mag... you will see the flame from texas..
thanks for the advice guys - i will look for a decent old manual machine... failing that I may have to wait till racing resumes and get to a meet where the avon man is attending