AM GT -01

Amazing restoration on Rex Myers GT40, the first of two Alan Mann aluminium car that did the 66 Le Mans trials. here at 2019 MCACN this week end
IMG_0225.JPG

Mike Pass

Supporter
Red and dark gold, unusual side scoops, no sill covers and black" periscopes" and white flashes. How nice is that - works for me.
Cheers
Mike

Charlie Farley

Supporter
The front and rear clips certainly fit better than they ever did back in the day. can anyone help with the detail regarding the rear of the front wheel arch not lining up with the leading edge of the sill ? Looks a bit odd...

Ron McCall

Supporter
The front and rear clips certainly fit better than they ever did back in the day. can anyone help with the detail regarding the rear of the front wheel arch not lining up with the leading edge of the sill ? Looks a bit odd...
The fiberglass covers are removed from the rockers leaving the chassis exposed.

Ron

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I believe the rear clip is an alu unit (or should be), so the normally flowing side scoops have been crafted and grafted onto it instead of integrally molded all together. The AM cars were supposed to be "lightweight" GT's but I can't say I know the exact details around that.

I believe the rear clip is an alu unit (or should be), so the normally flowing side scoops have been crafted and grafted onto it instead of integrally molded all together. The AM cars were supposed to be "lightweight" GT's but I can't say I know the exact details around that.
You're right, the rear clip is an alu unit and very well done.

Attachments

• IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 471
These AM cars did not run the f/glass sill covers, what you see there is the 'raw' uncovered mono chassis, The doors also have no lead in to the scoops of rear clip.

"The front and rear clips certainly fit better than they ever did back in the day. can anyone help with the detail regarding the rear of the front wheel arch not lining up with the leading edge of the sill ? Looks a bit odd... "

Just to add a bit more perspective: I built a monocoque and when I remove the sill covers, there is the same offset. The reason is that the front wheel arch continues to flow backwards as part of the sill panel and defines where the leading edge of the sill starts. When you remove the sill panel the line is interrupted and it appears as an offset. It means that the Alan Mann sill dimensions are likely to be same as the originals. Not sure I've explained that too well....

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
These AM cars did not run the f/glass sill covers, what you see there is the 'raw' uncovered mono chassis, The doors also have no lead in to the scoops of rear clip.

Right! Different spyder as well. Presumed to be alloy to replace the steel?

So were these aluminum monocoque's built to mostly the same patterns as those used for the MK I steel chassis?

Back